Emabarrassingly Simple Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Arlington Guy

Original poster
May 12, 2005
Is it possible to daisy chain two 3x4 multiplexars together to get 6 outputs? Do you just connect two of the outputs into the inputs on the second switch?

I am an electronic idiot, so if this has been answered before (I am sure it has), I just couldn't tell it was the answer to my question!

Thanks for putting up with this newbie question!

I think the way to do it is with 2 high frequency splitters
put the splitters on the 2 outputs on the LNB and hoko the multiswitches to those

Iceberg said:
no problemo

just make sure to get splitters that go above 1000mhz

Example of one at Radio Shack

Hey Iceburg I thought I would ask this just in case things have changed in the past which I don't think they have but I'll ask anyway.

Is there a splitter or something else one could buy that could be used to split an installed jack into two jacks to be used with a D*Tivo. Now this would be used between the wall jack and the D*Tivo.

Thanks for letting me know what options I might have if any at all.

Arlington Guy said:
Is it possible to daisy chain two 3x4 multiplexars together to get 6 outputs? Do you just connect two of the outputs into the inputs on the second switch?

I am an electronic idiot, so if this has been answered before (I am sure it has), I just couldn't tell it was the answer to my question!

Thanks for putting up with this newbie question!
Yes this will work with no problems for the 101 satellite and saves the cost and additional wiring of splitters if all you want is six outputs. :) :) :)

LonghornXP said:
Hey Iceburg I thought I would ask this just in case things have changed in the past which I don't think they have but I'll ask anyway.

Is there a splitter or something else one could buy that could be used to split an installed jack into two jacks to be used with a D*Tivo. Now this would be used between the wall jack and the D*Tivo.

Thanks for letting me know what options I might have if any at all.

The key to a typical multiswitch is two inputs from the dish - one for even xponders (18v) and one for odd xponders (13v). From that, you can hang multiple receivers because, no matter what channel a given receiver is on, it is using either an even or odd xponder. Given that, a single line to a Tivo can't be split to both receivers in the unit because one receiver may be on odd and the other may be on even.
You can't send a 22khz 18v signal to the LNB at the same time you send a 22khz 13v signal. The whole 13v/18v thing is to tell the dual-LNB to use the right or left-hand polarization.
Then, again, I may be wrong.
Probably too much information...

boba said:
Yes this will work with no problems for the 101 satellite and saves the cost and additional wiring of splitters if all you want is six outputs. :) :) :)

Yes you can daisy chain two multiswitches together but it has been my experience that the multiswitch will be hot to the touch and will fail within a few months of the installation. I would follow Iceberg's recommendation and use power passing splitters. You have two line coming from the LNB, split one line and run it to the 13v side of each multiswitch, then split the other with lines running to the 18v sides of each MS. These have to be power pass on both sides, not like a dipleaxer which only passes power on one side.
Our company quit supplying us with 3x8 multiswitches last fall. Since then the above is the method we use to hook up to 8 receivers to the same dish. As for splitting output lines for dual hook up on Tivo's, you need a staker-destaker for that and from what I have seen it would be cheaper to run an extra line aa those items are expensive.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts