Email from Amazon about Prime Video

Head's up! I just went in to verify my renewal date for January and found that the renewal notification I had set up was turned OFF - again! This happened last year as well and I am absolutely sure it was turned back on because I remember being pissed about it then and turning it back on. Watch out! :mad:

If you don't think you'll be renewing, it might be a good idea to go in and schedule it to pause now. That's what I did–

IMG_2652.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: FTA4PA
So you really believe all those extras they added over the years are freebies! Wow - just wow! It costs them so it costs you in some way somewhere. Maybe that raise in the price over the years? :rolleyes Plus it still doesn't change the fact that we don't use the extras. ;)
Of course they cost something, but, depending on how much you use the service, the majority of expenses is shipping.

But Prime saves me money, no more running around to different stores to buy certain things, since I work from home , great time saver.

One item is a certain Dog Supplement for my yellow lab because of her gastric issues, the only store that has it is about 40 min away, also a lot more expensive, so I buy it from Amazon, save the $20 more and 1.5 hours of my day.

By the way, it only comes as a month’s supply, so $20 saved times 12 is $240, a hundred dollars more then the price of Prime.

As mentioned earlier, I keep it just for the free shipping. Since 2019 I've placed more than 1100 orders, all free shipping, so it more than pays for itself. Out of those 1100+ orders only 2 were late and that was 3rd party shipping, not Amazon delivery. Another really big plus is the returns system. I've had 3 or 4 items that needed to be returned so I go on-line, use Amazon's returns system, print out a ticket, and take the item and ticket to a UPS store and I'm done, don't even have to repackage the item, UPS takes care of it. Compare that with any other on-line vendor. The only thing on Prime Video that is actually Amazon's that we watch is Thursday Night Football. The rest is subs to Britbox, Acorn, and Best TV Ever so a commercial free tier means nothing to me.

I wish they gave you a free shipping tier option only. I don't have time during the year to watch any Prime video, and I don't care about music either. Like someone mentioned previously in this thread, the extras they bundle in aren't reallly "free". The shipping times have gotten pretty bad compared to what they had years ago, and I live near several hubs.

Okay, I'm fine with prices going up over time. Prime is still a pretty good deal. Shipping, Amazon Photos storage, Music, Amazon Prime Video, there is a lot in there for relatively little per month when you look at it month to month.

What I want as a promise from Amazon is no more trillion dollar deals with the NFL to be allowed to show one game every third Wednesday on the night of a blood moon. Does anyone sub to Prime because of Thursday NFL football?

Reactions: djont57
We live in the boonies.. They degraded Prime service years back. We used to get packages in 2/3 days, that ended, and when that happened, we canceled the PRIME. Where we live, There is no such thing as same day delivery. Right before we cancelled, it would take 7+ days to get a package with PRIME. I get things faster when i order them off Ebay. We haven't been prime members for well over 5 years, and a couple times we got offered the free month to see if things have changed for the better, and things still haven't changed.... At this point, we still have the free offer for Prime, and i don't even bother activating it, that's how worthless it is at this point.

We have no issue adding things into the cart until it reaches $35.00 getting the free shipping, and not interested in any of the other prime perks, so for our family, Prime membership is a waste of money. The prime videos were weak on content. I do hate the constant tricking they attempt to slip you back into PRIME. It has caused me to buy more on ebay and walmart.com and use alternatives when possible. Amazon isn't what it used to be.

I'm just on the edge of changing Prime back over to Netflix. I don't use Prime much; I just like the free shipping. But building an order up to the free shipping level is easy anyway. 2024 will be more a pay-I-go philosophy.

In Canada, including tax, for ad-free Netflix HD (1080p), we pay about $US13.70/month . That's reasonable. I think the movie selection is better on Netflix. For Prime, $US8.70/month.

Of course they cost something, but, depending on how much you use the service, the majority of expenses is shipping.

But Prime saves me money, no more running around to different stores to buy certain things, since I work from home , great time saver.

One item is a certain Dog Supplement for my yellow lab because of her gastric issues, the only store that has it is about 40 min away, also a lot more expensive, so I buy it from Amazon, save the $20 more and 1.5 hours of my day.

By the way, it only comes as a month’s supply, so $20 saved times 12 is $240, a hundred dollars more then the price of Prime.
As many of the Brick and Mortor stores and Ma and Pop stores say, Thanks Alot as they go out of business ... :(

Reactions: MikeD-C05
We have 3 hubs around me.

Last year I would order something and it would be here in hours. Now its taking 2 - 4 days.

All my orders are over $50.
I had a super uneven experience, as well for a while, but the past 6-9 months they've gotten back on track in my area (surrounded by hubs - SF Bay) so I would hope that you experience the same. One thing I have noticed is they seem to be consolidating SKUs. I don't think they carry every SKU at every hub anymore because I've increasingly seen my multi-item orders coming from several locations.

As many of the Brick and Mortor stores and Ma and Pop stores say, Thanks Alot as they go out of business ... :(
So I should spend extra time and money just to drive to a store and spend even more on a product I can get for $20 less a month.

You know how I know it was more, I went there and gave them a chance.

As far as the expenses Brick and Mortar stores have to operate, rent, employees, insurance, etc.

Amazon has those same expenses, they have warehouse space they have to pay rent or buy, they have employees, insurance, trucks, they also have the added costs of running the website, which cannot be inexpensive for a site as complex as Amazons.

I had a super uneven experience, as well for a while, but the past 6-9 months they've gotten back on track in my area (surrounded by hubs - SF Bay) so I would hope that you experience the same. One thing I have noticed is they seem to be consolidating SKUs. I don't think they carry every SKU at every hub anymore because I've increasingly seen my multi-item orders coming from several locations.
Do not forget, we still have a major workers shortage, which would also affect Amazon, hence the longer time frame for some deliveries.