encryptions appearing on DirectTV t.v. screen

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tions2

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
kansas city missouri
I have posted photos of encryption messages that appear occasionaly on our DirecTV television screen. Has anyone seen this happen before ? I Googled some of the encryptions and brought up results. Some of the characters are of various languages.:rant::confused:

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 511
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 388
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 381
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 335
that what I would say too Charper

or maybe its some foreign language saying "why are you watching MTV?" ;)

It only appears on 3 or 4 channels. Not always on. Just at various times on clear days.I usually watch MTV2 or Fuse in the mornings before work and appears on those channels. Some of the encryptions appear and reappear. Some never appear again. The locations of the encryptions appear in different locations on the screen. At the top of the t.v. screen then in the center, then at the bottom , then in the corner. Almost as if they are text messages?

Try to verify whether it's the DirecTV receiver or the TV that is showing these.
Check closed captioning.

BTW, what model receiver are you using?

DirecTV were here in August 2009 and restarted system. The menu settings ( for recording scheduled shows etc. kept appearing ) After there $50.00 service charge it still appeared after they left. I just turned off the recording menu on the t.v. and it has not appeared again. What is appearing now is totally different. CC would take the actual audio and convert it into alpha characters correct?
If the phrasing on the channels is converted to CC then several nouns and verbs would reappear . Also how could someone speak in several languages at once?

list of prior encryptions

Here is a list of prior seen encryptions that I did not get a chance to photograph.

BQy$0A

qX+J+%

UVr[00

VIA8

rXWg

ptRm

(5zqJ7%0u

UVr(00

DirecTV were here in August 2009 and restarted system. The menu settings ( for recording scheduled shows etc. kept appearing ) After there $50.00 service charge it still appeared after they left. I just turned off the recording menu on the t.v. and it has not appeared again. What is appearing now is totally different. CC would take the actual audio and convert it into alpha characters correct?
If the phrasing on the channels is converted to CC then several nouns and verbs would reappear . Also how could someone speak in several languages at once?

While I am not a linguist, I do know a couple of languages. What you are showing are not any languages that I am aware of. I don't recognize them at all. If anyone sees another language word in the captions, I would be interested to know what words you are identifying.

It still looks like a closed caption error to me. You say CC is not set up. It must be actually set to OFF in most cases. There are often several CC settings, CC2, TXT1, etc. It could be inadvertently set to one of those settings on either the TV or settop box.

response to latest thread

An encryption is computer code thats converted when they reach the correct destination. To be honest I could not find any type of CC setting in the menu using the DirecTV remote. Everything is set to ENGLISH. When I said one of the alphas is in another language ( Spanish ) the lower case n has an inverted S above it. That is not available on ENGLISH keyboards as you probably know. I really do not know what to think. I probably will upgrade to a Plasma television this Summer, but wanted to know if anyone had any ideas. Thank you so much for your help. Will keep in touch. Warren :rolleyes:

appears on two differant

Also the encryptions appear on two T.V.s

One is upstairs and the other T.V. is downstairs.

They seem to appear at differant times.:eek:

As Lt Disher says, this is almost certainly caused by one of the "unused" closed caption modes being set to "on" on the TV itself. It's quite a common problem.

FYI, CC has nothing to do with converting the audio to text. At least not as you imply. CC is a function of humans actually entering the text to go with the audio. This text is encoded into the broadcast signal and decoded when a CC setting is enabled.

In the case of local newscasts, usually the closed captioning is generated by the prompter which the anchors are reading from, if they ad-lib it won't show up in the captioning.

mathmatical symbols

Like I stated before if you Google the phrases there are results ! If it is errant CC then why are there mathematical symbols that = letters that show a defined result on Google ? Maybe they are errant CC, but maybe not. :rant:

created words

You put letters together to create words, correct? These are letters put together that create defined results on Google.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)