End of commitment and need advice on how to "re-up" and fix some tech issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nbpc77

Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Mason, OH
Hello all,

I'm looking for advice on how to handle the end of my commitment. I want to be upfront and say I'm not looking to screw over DirecTV or extort some kinda mega deal.

Background:
I've got 4 x HD DVRs and 2 STD DVR (R-15s). I keep getting 771 signal issues on 2 HD DVRs. DTV has been out to the house at least twice. Yesterday's tech, who seemed more knowledgeable than most and said that the 771 is happening because with 6 DVRS and two switches to support them, the signal is a wee bit too low at times. He said the only way to really fix my issue long term is to put in a SWM-16, but my R-15s are NOT SWM compatible.

I also want to sign up for DirecTV thru my local phone company who will give me a bundle discount with DirecTV and home phone, which saves me about $20 a month.

What I'd like to do:
Replace my R-15s with HD DVRs (I'd pay for one)
Get on SWM-16 to get rid of 771 and maybe whole-house-dvr
Switch my DirecTV so that I can get the telephone bundle...

I saw threads where people canx and then sign up under wife's name, phone, etc, but I don't want go that route.

Thoughts? Been a DTV guy since 2006. Again, not looking to screw over DTV, but 771 issues popping up randomly isn't a "working" setup either.

<also sorry for the cross forum posting>

All those this are possible, within reason - you won't get 2 free HD DVRs, but may get one. I would look into upgrading to the HMC receiver, that can record 5 things at once.

Call and speak to retention dept (tell them you want to cancel, want to upgrade to the dish hopper or something like that, they'll be able to help you). I would think they can do the bundling as well, or get you to someone that can.

Last edited:
All those this are possible, within reason - you won't get 2 free HD DVRs, but may get one. I would look into upgrading to the HMC receiver, that can record 5 things at once.

Call and speak to retention dept (tell them you want to cancel, want to upgrade to the dish hopper or something like that, they'll be able to help you). I would think they can do the bundling as well, or get you to someone that can.

Calll Direct like Jason said and tell them you want to cancel and when they offer you something tell them you want to update you mean to the HR34 :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts