End of Life Receivers

Here is the official notice going out to retailers.. (Wonder if Goaliebob typed it... notice the Eastern ARCH) :D

I receive an email stating:
"We are in the process of updating our security and anti-piracy software across all of our receivers. You currently have at least one legacy receiver on your account that due to software limitations will not be able to receive this update. As a result, we need to upgrade the legacy receiver(s) on your account before the end of this year.

Below is a list of the receiver models impacted by this change:
111, 1000, 1500, 1000/1500, 3000, 3500, 4000 and 4500

If you have any other receivers that are not listed, they will continue to work as normal after this update.

To ensure your service is not interrupted, please call us at 800-333-DISH (800-333-3474) to receive your equipment upgrade. As you are one of our most valued customers, there is no cost or commitment associated with this upgrade. "

However, when I called I was told that all my other receivers (301, 501, 510) also had to be replaced, and that a technician had to be sent out to do it. They refused to just send a replacement receiver. Any idea why the disparity between the email and the proposed actions?

I have same receivers for last 5 years and no contract and paying monthly fees for them, but when they die, its a hard time to get working equipment for free with no contract extensions. I dont get it. I hope not to renew this Dish contract ever, HD receivers will be good for next few years and DVR is something I dont have time for anyway.

I have same receivers for last 5 years and no contract and paying monthly fees for them, but when they die, its a hard time to get working equipment for free with no contract extensions. I dont get it. I hope not to renew this Dish contract ever, HD receivers will be good for next few years and DVR is something I dont have time for anyway.

Why should Dish or DirecTV provide replacement equipment as upgrades with no assurance you will be around long enough for them to recover their costs and make a profit?

"We are in the process of updating our security and anti-piracy software across all of our receivers. You currently have at least one legacy receiver on your account that due to software limitations will not be able to receive this update. As a result, we need to upgrade the legacy receiver(s) on your account before the end of this year.

If you have any other receivers that are not listed, they will continue to work as normal after this update.

To ensure your service is not interrupted, please call us at 800-333-DISH (800-333-3474) to receive your equipment upgrade. As you are one of our most valued customers, there is no cost or commitment associated with this upgrade. "

However, when I called I was told that all my other receivers (301, 501, 510) also had to be replaced, and that a technician had to be sent out to do it. They refused to just send a replacement receiver. Any idea why the disparity between the email and the proposed actions?

So you have 3 or 4 receivers, at least 2 are DVRs, and all are SD. You must be on the Western Arc, as the 301 & 501 won't work on the MPEG-4 based Eastern Arc. Dish is currently upgrading WA to something called 8PSK, which is not "understood" by the listed receivers. Your 301 etc "understand" 8PSK but not MPEG-4. Dish is also slowly moving WA to MPEG-4. Perhaps they decided to just make the complete jump in one visit for you. You will get newer equipment, probably HD capable, and come out ahead.

Do you have any HDTVs? Plans for any?

You can PM our DIRT here after you have made 5 posts. So just reply to this, and then make 3 more posts (they can just be "#3" "#4" etc).

To contact DIRT, go to this page (click on bold blue) and go to the bottom. On the line "Online Support Staff Currently Available:" look to see if there are any names in RED. If so, left click on it then select "Send Private Message" on the left. Explain and ask about keeping your boxes or why not.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys! :welcome

All these receivers need to be upgraded to continue receiving a DISH signal the technician is needed in case additional equipment needs to be upgraded such as LNB & switches. 501 & 510 are typically replaced with 512 DVRs and 301 with 311 receivers.

Those 3 receivers are being phased out as they crap out. But since you already have one receiver that is being shut off Dish is probably being proactive and just replacing them all

actually the 301 cannot do 8PSK. The 311 can

Right as usual. ;) And I might add the 111 also knows how to demodulate 8PSK, which makes me wonder why they are discontinuing that model. No apparent reason. I also own a useless Bell 4100, which I bought thinking I could put it in the Dish stream and get it to convert. Wrong! (Maybe I could sell it back to a Bell customer.) Anyhow, the Bell 4100 was like a 311 in a 111 case. All the usual outputs were on the back. (The 111 only has a modulated output.)

actually the 301 cannot do 8PSK. The 311 can

Oh. I started with a couple of 301s. I guess they were just 4PSK and I never knew it.

I just don't see Dish coming out with SD only boxes in the future. Plenty of current SD hardware to tide them over as people get on the HD bandwagon.

Sounds like we are wanting to migrate you to Eastern Arc since you are in North Carolina. Shoot me a PM with your account information so I can look into this.

I also own a useless Bell 4100, which I bought thinking I could put it in the Dish stream and get it to convert. Wrong! (Maybe I could sell it back to a Bell customer.)
a few years (dang maybe 8?) ago they (Dish and Bell) blocked the virgin receiver from downloading each others software (and pretty much bricking it)

What I find odd,and even funny,there is no mention of 27/28/3700 38/3900 or 47/4900 receivers being replaced.When dish really started gaining customers in this region those were the most popular models.Many folks still have them.Compared to a 301 they are archaic.I know they no longer activate them but would have figured they would really be pushing the upgrades by now.

If your receivers break or are obsolete, Dish will swap them out without a contract extension. If you want a free upgrade to the Hopper, they will extend your contract unless you buy the equipment out of pocket.

If your receivers break or are obsolete, Dish will swap them out without a contract extension. If you want a free upgrade to the Hopper, they will extend your contract unless you buy the equipment out of pocket.

Not for free........ :(

They certainly always have for me. Not even a shipping charge. And Lord knows, I went thru some 721s. And when my ViP622 HDMI port departed this world, I moved up to a couple of ViP722s, for which I think I paid a small fee for the second one.

Yea they have always done it for free for us as well.But...I do believe they reserve the right to charge if you don't carry the protection plan.

Yea theithave always done it for us as well.But...I do believe they reserve the right to charge if you don't carry the protection plan.

Yep, they changed it not too long ago. They wanted $75+ shipping to replace our failing 722.

Said no thanks, and repaired it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)