Engadget Samsung BD-P1500 review

Samsung unfortunately does not seem to be able to get the reliability of their products up to par yet compared to the Japanese vendors. They are petty much the same as far as features and picture quality but they do not seem to last long.

I ended up buying a S350 today off amazon (have it in a couple days with my prime account). Gonna run the heck out of it to make sure it works as advertised, otherwise I will go back to a BD30 or just get another PS3.

The DMP-BD30 has no internal decoding for Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, or DTS-HD Master Audio.

1456025]The DMP-BD30 has no internal decoding for Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, or DTS-HD Master Audio.[/QUOTE]

No, like the S350 it can decode the lossy DD+ and DTS-HD HR formats. It just doesn't internally decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. :rolleyes:

The Sammy BD-P1500 can decode Dolby TrueHD. Allegedly the S350 can as well. I have yet to get a clear answer on that one.

I'm glad Panasonic finally started releasing complete players. The DMP-BD50 may not be able to upscale like the better players, but at least it decodes everything and is profile 2.0.

Hell, all I can say is the 1500 ability to decode some stuff internally was a non-feature since it couldn't even play some of the discs and the ones it tried to, it failed to do anything (bitstream or decode) the audio.

Either way, my S350 will be here today and yes, I have a 606 so I don't really give 2 hoots (or even 1 hoot) what the 350 decodes internally.

I honestly believe that my 1500's demise was due to 2 factors
The way the unit disappates heat (very passive and inefficient design)
FW update as now I am seeing many post of people who updated having all sorts of playback and TrueHD problems.

If someone wants to read everything I posted over at AVS, here is the thread, starting on page 49 (near the bottom starting at post 1466 under same username as Satguys) and continuing to page 50 is where I posted more detail on the 2 day meltdown of my 1500.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1029955&page=49

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts