Enhancement request: Record ALL of an event!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rtdreep

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Aaargh! I missed the last 50 laps or so of the Nascar Coca-Cola 600 because the recording stopped at the "scheduled" time rather than at the real end of the race.

There needs to be a way where the DirecTV system has an awareness of the real end of an event, and automatically extends the recording to grab it.

Aaargh! I missed the last 50 laps or so of the Nascar Coca-Cola 600 because the recording stopped at the "scheduled" time rather than at the real end of the race.

There needs to be a way where the DirecTV system has an awareness of the real end of an event, and automatically extends the recording to grab it.

You failed to "Pad " your recording ?
I understand your concern, but I don't know how possible a solution is on D*'s end.

In case you did not know, when you set up your recordings you have the option to add time to them, up to 3 hours, it is under "Record or Record series, settings.

Jimbo

Yes, I'm aware of the "pad" feature. . .

. . .but it's cumbersome and inexact. I don't know how cooperation with the networks works, but it seems to me that the networks should create some universal "signal" at the end of their shows that satellite and cable providers could code for.

I know fulfilling this enhancement request would not be easy, but if DirecTV championed it, perhaps it could get done.

Rule #1 when recording ANY sporting event on TV: Always add the time equivalent to at least 1 "period" of normal game segment. Here is my breakdown per sport:
For Hockey, add 1 hour (equal to about 1 full period)
For Basketball, add at least 30 minutes (allows for at least 1 OT in College and NBA)
For Baseball, add at least 30 minutes (allows for at least 1 extra inning, maybe two with good closers)
For NFL, add at least 30 minutes for "sudden death" OT
For CFB, add at least 30 minutes for "alternate scoring" OT
For Soccer (especially for championship games), add at least 1 hour to allow for 2 15-minute periods, plus some time for PK's.
For NASCAR (or other racing), I am not really sure, but I added 1 hour to the Indy 500 and CocaCola 600 this weekend and was able to see them both in their entirety.
And for any sporting event that might be affected by severe weather delays, always consider adding another step up on the option scale.

If you do this each time you want to record a game, you will not even notice the extra effort it takes to pad the game as it becomes second nature. And you will rarely be upset that you missed the final 5 minutes of an event. Not picking, just offering the advice that keeps me from drinking too heavily. ;)

While they are obviously much more robust, I have always treated my DVRs like VCRs when scheduling recordings. Especially in the case of sporting events, I always add a significant padding. And even for standard TV shows, I always add a minute or two. DirecTV can determine the time on your DVR, but they can't affect the exact start and stop times of the shows that they transmit. That sure would be nice, but I'm sure it won't happen any time soon.

Way back when I got my first Tivo, I read a great post - "as great as Tivo is (substitute any DVR brand for Tivo), it's not a mind reader!"

I used to work for Spyglass/OpenTV back from 2000 to 2002, and at that time there was talk about satellite and network companies working more closely to develop interactive applications synched with specific broadcasts. I'm sad to see so little development in true interactivity since then. The enhancement I'm requesting would be so rudimentary compared with interactive applications.

Live events always are a problem, not just for us but for the networks too.

If you think about it, How would the network know how long the event is going to go? You can plan 4 hrs for 500 mile race but,

If NASCAR throws a Red flag during a race does can anyone really anticipate that? Or even more cautions than "normal"

Same thing with any sports event, can anyone anticipate a 22 inning game, triple overtime? How about a lightning delay during a football game? Power failures at the stadium. The last two examples happened during Packer games in the last several years.

I always "pad" my sports recording by a minimum of an hour. A pain? yes, but I always get all of the event.

Obviously, there's no way a network can know beforehand when certain events will end. However, a network DOES know when an event actually ends, and should theoretically be able to provide some signal at that time to indicate the end of a broadcast.

I understand that what I'm asking for doesn't currently exist. . .that's why I submit it as an enhancement request to the CE board, hopefully to get back to the D* architects.

Obviously, there's no way a network can know beforehand when certain events will end. However, a network DOES know when an event actually ends, and should theoretically be able to provide some signal at that time to indicate the end of a broadcast.

I understand that what I'm asking for doesn't currently exist. . .that's why I submit it as an enhancement request to the CE board, hopefully to get back to the D* architects.

You make a good point, someone there turns on the next program when it has to be joined in progress.

Jimbo

While we're at it, can we have my receiver make pizza too?

Dish Network automatically pads all sporting events when you schedule them on their DVR. Seems like DirecTV could do something like that. Much more simpler than asking the network to do something that they don't want to do. They don't like DVR's.. It hurts their commercial revenue.. Pad it yourself. OR DirecTV could auto pad sporting events like Dish does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)