enigma2 rc12 and neutrino hd have been released.

crackt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
101w up north.
for any testers, there are some new images out. i havent loaded them yet but i thought id let y'all know. got my usb bdm the other day so im 4playing. haha.

crackt out,.

Since many AZBox users don't know what Enigma2 is, and what exact advantages it may offer to AZBox owners, may be you guys as regular Enigma2 users can do a detail write up on this?

The trick is, even Enigma2 developers site says almost NOTHING about what this peace of... good software actually is, and how users can benefit from it. I wonder why? Do they assume everyone knows it? Even in this case a website devoted to a certain product should start from what this product is about - even if in their mind its carved in stone. :) Unless its a piracy crap, where they never directly say what the product aims for. Anyone can offer good links on the Enigma2 detail description & screenshots & functionality list?

I also like this part on their website: "if you send a PM to our site staff you'll be banned permanently. And if you post anything addressed to them you'll be banned". Are they crazy, or what? How members are supposed to communicate their issues and suggestions then?

Last edited:
Since many AZBox users don't know what Enigma2 is, and what exact advantages it may offer to AZBox owners, may be you guys as regular Enigma2 users can do a detail write up on this?

The trick is, even Enigma2 developers site says almost NOTHING about what this peace of... good software actually is, and how users can benefit from it. I wonder why? Do they assume everyone knows it? Even in this case a website devoted to a certain product should start from what this product is about - even if in their mind its carved in stone. :) Unless its a piracy crap, where they never directly say what the product aims for. Anyone can offer good links on the Enigma2 detail description & screenshots & functionality list?

I also like this part on their website: "if you send a PM to our site staff you'll be banned permanently. And if you post anything addressed to them you'll be banned". Are they crazy, or what? How members are supposed to communicate their issues and suggestions then?

Excellent point. I myself was wondering how good this might be with no demos or screenshots or instructions. How can software this good be hard to find any documentation or screenshots or info about?

I found probably the only on the web detail FAQ from a guy who develops some extra tools to integrate other soft with Enigma2, and also Wiki. From these documents it doesn't look like a piracy soft devoted to encrypted signal theft, and the sites don't look like piracy sites (pls let me know if I'm wrong), so these links would help AZBox owners to understand what's at stake here, and how they can benefit from using Enigma2:

ENIGMA2 FAQ
Enigma2 Wiki

I don't know if Enigma was originally a proprietary soft, but the whole idea of most Linux OS and application forks is about being FREE to end users. The term "hacking" often means to continue unofficial software or hardware development beyond the state offered by its original developer aiming to improve, so its not usually illegal, especially if no profit is derived from such activity. And Enigma2 is distributed for free. Hacking is "modification" hobby, it has nothing in common with "signal theft" unless its sole purpose is to steal the signal, which is not true for Enigma2.

OK, here is the License from original developer of Enigma2 for Dreambox:

"You are free to take *THIS* version of Enigma2, and derive a version
which will be licensed under the GPLv2. If you're doing this,
be sure to insert proper licensing statements to ensure that it
doesn't get mixed up with the proprietary version.

The derived version can be, of course, modified, distributed etc in
modified forms
, however, you have to publish all changes you made in
source form if you are distributing a binary version. Exact details
can be read in the GPLv2."

Can someone now post a few screenshots of the Enigma2 fork for AZBox installed - how its main screens look like? :)

Last edited:
I installed RC12 yesterday and it works pretty well although as I've written in several other posts its very different from factory firmware and not for everyone. I'll try and take some screen shots later as don't have time to play right now. One thing I want to clarify is that E2 does not = hacking! People hack with using AZbox factory firmware, does that make all of here hackers? I don't believe thats how we are perceived so please don't false rumors that E2 is only for hacking.

Forgive me for the misunderstanding about the hacking part. I have been watching this firmware but too wonder why it not really detailed.I won't download and install it until Stargaze, Iceberg, and other seasoned guys give the thumbs up.

You're unlikely to see Iceberg install it as he doesn't have a working ethernet port ;P Enigma2 information is everywhere if you look for it. Its the OS for multiple satellite receivers and in particular the Dreambox. I had never used it previously and find the interface much better than factory firmware. If you are happy with the factory firmware or arent' interested in trying something new, then by all means don't load it. At the same time, if someone hasn't tried something, how is it possible to have an opinion good or bad? Until there is a blindscan plugin I'm reluctant to recommend to Ultra/Premium+ owners as that is a significant feature which you'd lose although for Premium/Elite owners an argument can be made that E2 is better even now. I'll try and throw something together this weekend or early next week with some screen shots and features which make it preferable over factory firmware.

Its the OS for multiple satellite receivers and in particular the Dreambox.
Xmm... My impression was, its not an OS, but a STB DVR & GUI App that is installed on top of AZBox firmware, replacing its own GUI (Graphical User Interface). In other words, its the same thing as DVBDream or DVBViewer app for a Sat PC Card. At least that's what it is for Dreambox:

"Enigma 2 is not all there is to a DM 7025. There is also the underlying Linux system: with a kernel, drivers, command-line tools, server applications (such as Samba), scripts, shared libraries, a package management system, etc. Together, all these various bits and pieces form the base upon which Enigma 2 is running. Of course, most of these other components are running in the background, deep in the bowels of the device – invisibly, as far as the end user is concerned – but without them the Enigma 2 software wouldn’t work.

In other words, Enigma 2 is a Linux application. It cannot exist alone; it is not a stand-alone “firmware” that would directly access the set-top box hardware at the register level and run independent of any external OS. The firmware images you can download from Dream Multimedia are actually full-fledged mini Linux distributions, with the Enigma 2 application running on the top."

zamar23 said:
Xmm... My impression was, its not an OS, but a STB DVR & GUI App that is installed on top of AZBox firmware, replacing its own GUI (Graphical User Interface). In other words, its the same thing as DVBDream or DVBViewer app for a Sat PC Card. At least that's what it is for Dreambox:

"Enigma 2 is not all there is to a DM 7025. There is also the underlying Linux system: with a kernel, drivers, command-line tools, server applications (such as Samba), scripts, shared libraries, a package management system, etc. Together, all these various bits and pieces form the base upon which Enigma 2 is running. Of course, most of these other components are running in the background, deep in the bowels of the device – invisibly, as far as the end user is concerned – but without them the Enigma 2 software wouldn’t work.

In other words, Enigma 2 is a Linux application. It cannot exist alone; it is not a stand-alone “firmware” that would directly access the set-top box hardware at the register level and run independent of any external OS. The firmware images you can download from Dream Multimedia are actually full-fledged mini Linux distributions, with the Enigma 2 application running on the top."

Yes enigma2 is an application but the rti team have also developed their own kernels and drivers. The images they provide are an os in that sense and not simply a gui skin. The most important thing about there work is that theyve shown that azbox hardware is similar to small form factor pc hardware and software can be ported over. With rc11 im pretty happy with their progress and havent used the factory software much.

crackt out,.

they've shown that azbox hardware is similar to small form factor pc hardware and software can be ported over. With rc11 im pretty happy with their progress and havent used the factory software much.
Interesting... Are you saying that Enigma2 fully replaces original AZBox firmware? Can you give any links covering "small factor PC soft portability" - what hardware models do they mean? :)

Interesting... Are you saying that Enigma2 fully replaces original AZBox firmware? Can you give any links covering "small factor PC soft portability" - what hardware models do they mean? :)

Yes, E2 completely replaces original factory firmware. You do have the option of dual booting to factory firmware on a USB stick or simply restoring factory firmware if you want to go back. If you are genuinely interested, you can find a lot of information regarding E2 on the RTi forum, RTi Enigma 2 Project for AzBox HD

Actually, enigma2 is the most popular firmware for stb's in Europe because of Dreambox and extensive plugins,add-ons and other possibilites. There are several dozen versions of them. Although they contain Cam structures, the actual Cams have to be installed by the user.It is assumed that stb users are familar with it, almost like what windows is to Pc,s.

You're probably talking of Linux STB users? But the number of people buying Linux STBs steadily grows so no-one can safely assume they knew everything before ever trying, and most settle on factory firmware. It looks like the reason they never post clear explanations and pics about Enigma 2 is different... Yes, most people are familiar with Windows OS, but it doesn't block MS from posting detail explanations on their website about each Windows release. Still waiting for guys here to post a collection of Enigma 2 screen pics. Nothing would show more clearly what it is, and why it might be preferable or not for AZBox owners. :)

zamar23,
I'm going to take a wild leap of faith that you've heard of Google? If so, screen shots for E2 are everywhere. It is true you won't find many on this forum as there are only probably a few of us testing E2 for AZbox. Assuming I can figure out how to do it, I'm going to take some screen shots today. btw, your analogy comparing Windows to factory firmware is flawed. How much development or improvement in factory firmware has occurred over the past couple of years other than a few bug fixes? Any "posted detail explanations" for factory firmware have come from the hard work of forum members and most software tools written by individual users, not Opensat/Celrun. Did your AZbox inclulde a detailed users manual? LOL Ever visit the AZbox forum? I'm not faulting Opensat, in fact they've treated me great and I have respect for them in allowing E2 to be developed for their receivers as otherwise our boxes would never see any progress or new features added. I've said it already bu if your AZbox works and you are happy then keep using factory firmware. If you are unwilling to do any reading on your own or visit the links posted, please don't expect to be spoon fed. As for advantages of E2, can you do this with factory firmware? (you may have to register to see link)

RTi Enigma 2 Project for AzBox HD

AZbox Webcontrol.jpg

I'll just start posting them as I take them.

Background doesn't show up in captures but here is OSD with default skin

Attachments

• media player.jpg
    media player.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 312
  • video settings.jpg
    video settings.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 294
  • media center.jpg
    media center.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 315
  • system.jpg
    system.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 296
  • setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 293
  • software management.jpg
    software management.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 275
  • network.jpg
    network.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 297
  • Service searching.jpg
    Service searching.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 261
  • customize.jpg
    customize.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 296
  • AV settings.jpg
    AV settings.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 301
  • about.jpg
    about.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 298
  • main menu.jpg
    main menu.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 300
I don't have time to take a screen capture of every menu but the above should give you idea of what the GUI looks like. Beyond the visual appearance which is subjective, E2 overall allow more configuration options and navigation through the OS is more responsive than the factory firmware. Simple things like changing channels is faster in E2 and there is a tool which autopeaks signal when positioning your dish. No matter what I or anyone else say the only way to find out is to try it for yourself. Lastly, no matter what its called, E2 for AZBox is still under development and in reality still a beta.

Last edited:
A few more that I forgot:

Attachments

• service info.jpg
    service info.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 258
  • Service searching.jpg
    Service searching.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 236
  • OSD.jpg
    OSD.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 263
  • positioner setup.jpg
    positioner setup.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 285
  • reception settings.jpg
    reception settings.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 263
  • services.jpg
    services.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 262
mr3p

Thanks for your detail screenshots! What made you think, I'm looking to be spoon fed? Do you need help in that department too? :D Just wanted to get some info posted on this forum by people who actually use Enigma 2 to get others interested in trying it. Nothing works better to get people involved than exchange of experience - if it in fact exchanged. If this forum was visited only by people who are looking to be spoon fed, there would be nothing interesting here to read. :) Last time I checked, I posted twice as much spoon fed requests since being registered here than you - may be you can read them and learn something new. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts