CONTEST!! Enter to Win: Titanium C2-PLL C-band Interference Filtering LNBF

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It was a very hot day out in the desert. Looked to be about 2pm in the afternoon. A very smart rabbit found the maximum shade area under my Orbitron. He/she positioned itself right in the shade spot from the circular center hub. Over the course of several weeks, I attempted to give the rabbit water and food. The rabbit would have none of it! The rabbit just wanted the shade under my dish or picnic table, nothing more. We did become friends - to a degree. I suspect a coyote got it in the end.

The Orbitron dish pole in only in the ground about 2' ! That's as far down as I could get without blasting. So the concrete around the dish is spread wide but not deep. The pole has been there since about 1991. The pole is still level thanks to not much ground frost in this area.

rabbit enjoying shade.jpg

This is one of my recievers.It is a low budget, low profile, low power build.I used a 1u case with 250w Ps, with 4 case fans a micro atx board a cheap 65w amd quad @ 3.9ghz, 16gig ram and 2ssd's the dual tuners are tbs and montage. I chose a pascal chip gt1030 for h.265 hevc hardware acceleration. All parts are second hand, orphaned or discount. With only 1.75 inch of height I had to mod every card. I use crazyscan and ebspro for rf scanning and fine tuning. Dvbviewer or vlc to watch.It is a work in progress the space in front left is for front usb ports and reset buttons for the internal usb wifi and the internal secondary tuner. It does 4.2.2 and 4k.. But I still want a mio for s2x, acm/vcm.
20190228_150935.jpg
20190302_102635.jpg

Last edited:
The inside my trailer. That's the V-Box on the left with an Amiko Mini HD SE receiver next to it. A pair of JBL computer speakers (with sub) are connected to the Amiko. LG computer monitor connected to Amiko HDMI output. (Everything is on a UPS due to the unstable power out here.
O.K. I'm done! Good Luck To ALL!View attachment 137478

Hey Cosmo love the orange curtains!

Hey Cosmo love the orange curtains!

Yeah! I know! I know! Orange was a popular color for RV interiors back in the early 1980s. At least the appliances aren't avocado green! I'd get replacement curtains, but so far I haven't found any. In my defense, the one 'verticle window' on the trailer has a brand new brown curtain. Maybe I'm desensitized to orange since I once owned a bright orange VW pop-top camper van that had an orange & green plaid interior. Now that was a hot mess in more ways than 20 !

My first dish, back in 1990 in Europe. SES had just launched Astra 1A the previous year, and Sky Television had started using it with 4-5 channels. Amstrad started selling a simple receiver with a 60 cm dish. At a time where most systems cost close to $1000, I got this dish and receiver for about $250. I motorized it with a modified antenna rotator, and was able to get most Ku satellites between 45W (PanAmSat1) and 28.5 E (Kopernikus 2), with various level of quality (great on Astra, acceptable on most Eutelsat 2F series and on Kopernikus, not so great on Intelsat and PanAmsat). The LNBF covered only 10950 to 11750, with an LO of 10000. It did not allow reception of the Telecom satellites at 5W and 8W (they were using the 12500 to 12750 band)

I'll look for a picture of the receiver.

Attachments

• Dish.jpg
    Dish.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 161
Ok I found pictures of the matching equipment: Amstrad SRX-100 analog receiver, antenna rotator and its control box with the sticker with the handwritten satellite names :)

as for the box next to the receiver, it's an audio demodulator. The SRX-100 was made exclusively for Astra reception, which was using the audio sub-carriers at 7.02, 7.20, 7.38 and 7.56. So that receiver could tune those sub-carriers and nothing else. Those were typically used on other satellites if the audio was in stereo, but back then, many channels were still in mono and used the 6.60 or 6.65 MHz audio (none were using 6.20 or 6.80 in Europe). So to get the audio, I built that box that connected to the descrambler connector, took the baseband output of the receiver, demodulated the audio subcarrier and looped the audio back in as a descrambler would have done. It worked very well.

while the receiver is now totelly useless, the rotator still works. I almost brought it back to the US last month (to adapt it to 125V 60Hz and use for OTA reception), but got a bit worried that airport security would not like seeing a big blob of aluminum in my luggage. Also it is rather noisy when it rotates, so that's not so good.

Attachments

• IMG_3489.JPG
    IMG_3489.JPG
    264.1 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_3490.JPG
    IMG_3490.JPG
    267.3 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_3491.JPG
    IMG_3491.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_3492.JPG
    IMG_3492.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 164

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)