EPIX to feature live boxing in March!

That was one of the most bizarre things I've seen. Looked like his left leg buckled, falls down, grabbing his right leg, then gets up, clearly favoring the left leg. This is why one shouldn't spend a dime on boxing. The outcome of entertainment value is always unclear.

The difference between boxing today (on TV) and boxing of many years ago ( on TV ), is the quality of the under cards. If the main event is a stinker you can live with that if the under card features serious up and comers that put on a great show. Under cards that featured Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Haggler, Tommy Hearns, Ray Mancinni, Mike Tyson, George Foreman, The Holyfield brothers These guys all had to earn their stripes in under card fights.

The problem is that all too often, little of the undercard is shown on TV at all. Seems like all the TV coverage of pro boxing is 1 or 2 matches per show.

This fight was worse than expected, and my expectations were pretty low to start with. The Klitscho brothers are boring fighters period!

The problem is that all too often, little of the undercard is shown on TV at all. Seems like all the TV coverage of pro boxing is 1 or 2 matches per show.

This fight was worse than expected, and my expectations were pretty low to start with. The Klitscho brothers are boring fighters period!

I agree that Vitali in particular has a less than exciting style but I have a hard time blaming this on him.

I'm not sure what the complete under card was like but a pathetic 8 rounder that included one fighter that had my belly certainly leaves a lot to be desired. We saw a total of 9 rounds of boxing. That's just a poor effort if they want to bring more viewers back to boxing. If they want to make this fly they need to get some kind of cooperation between promoters, managers, and broadcasters. You gotta give the advertisers a marketable product to spend their money on. Not to mention for us to spend our time on.

Last edited:
It is the nature of boxing and ufc matches. If you do them live, you have no way of knowing how things will go.

Had Klitschko knocked him out resoundingly in the 1st round, few would be bitching!

That was one of the most bizarre things I've seen. Looked like his left leg buckled, falls down, grabbing his right leg, then gets up, clearly favoring the left leg.
According to ESPN, he tore the ACL and MCL in one knee and has cartilage damage in the other. I still have absolutely no idea how that happened.

It is the nature of boxing and ufc matches. If you do them live, you have no way of knowing how things will go.

Had Klitschko knocked him out resoundingly in the 1st round, few would be bitching!
Actually, I would be bitching louder! The issue I have is not only with the style but with the way "championship" fights are booked. The challengers are rarely even people anyone heard of or anyone who has really earned the right to fight for a championship especially in the heavy weights. I would love to see a heavyweight boxing match and not a televised sparring match with a sacrificial lamb.

Quite frankly, this fight is just an example of why only a fool would shell out $50 to watch Boxing on PPV. This was the first time in years, since I lived with my parents and had HBO, that I was able to see a live fight. When it was over, I told my wife that if it was on PPV, I would have demanded my money back. This is also why Boxing is going to be taken over by the UFC one day.

How about some suggestions on how to fix the problem instead of why it stinks. We all know why we don't want to watch it anymore. We all know that fights are boring and not competitive. With all the sports available on TV today can boxing ever become a desirable product?

You paint with a wide brush, inazsully. Currently heavy weight boxing isn't exciting at all. That has more to do with who is at the top than anything else, and of course, that there really aren't any new heavy weights coming up that are bringing excitement.

But the lighter weight classes are showing great signs of life. Excellent matches have been shown recently on ESPN2, HBO and Showtime. And some really good amateur boxing matches on VS are also available. But will they all be exciting and excellent? NO! Not for boxing or UFC for that matter.

Just like every other sport out there, some games/matches are great, some are just so-so and some suck badly.

Boxing to many of us is still a desirable product, just not at the heavy weight level right now. Sooner or later, another phenom will show up in that weight class.

Quite frankly, this fight is just an example of why only a fool would shell out $50 to watch Boxing on PPV. This was the first time in years, since I lived with my parents and had HBO, that I was able to see a live fight. When it was over, I told my wife that if it was on PPV, I would have demanded my money back. This is also why Boxing is going to be taken over by the UFC one day.

LOL!

UFC has the same issues that boxing has for PPV. Any given fight on any given event can be a stinker, end quickly or be boring as hell.

I'm a staunch fan of boxing and wouldn't pay a nickel to watch any UFC match. No finesse, just brawn!

The best boxing matches are happening at 140 lbs, 147 lbs, and 154 lbs. Remember last year when everyone wanted to see Manny Pacquiao face Floyd Mayweather Jr. Of course that's not gonna happen now because Mayweather has some legal issues. But I would like to see Pacquiao go against Sergio Martinez, who's a terrific fighter (you should have seen his last 2 fights). The only barrier is that Pacquiao is at 147 lbs and Martinez is at 154 lbs so Pacquiao will either have to gain 7 lbs or Martinez will have to lose 7 lbs.

There are so many factors resulting in weak boxing cards and matches that the fix would require many things to change. But the first would be to establish a national boxing federation so that all states would follow the same licensing rules and every state would require promoters to be licensed and sanctioned by that same national federation. Right now every state determines their own rules. 3 knock down rule or no 3 knock down rule, standing 8 count or no standing 8 count. 16ft ring or 18ft ring or 20ft ring. You are correct about there being some good fights on channels like ESPN 2 and Versus but if Epix wants to make a serious splash then our interest must be stoked. We need the expectation of at least a couple of good matches out of a 6 match card. Most of the entertaining matches are at the lower weights and that's OK but it's the higher weights that need a boost. Not necessarily the heavy weights but what happened to the middle and welter and light heavy weight classes?

Epix had no way of knowing that the fight was going to be such a fiasco. And as a really new player in the premium sports field, they took a shot at a fight that should have at least been a bit entertaining. And it was a heavy weight fight which the other channels have been avoiding like the plague (understandably).

I'm willing to give them some time to grow into sports a bit more.

Middle, welter and light heavy have some good boxers. There has been some good matches in the past few months at those weight classes. But they are more sparse than the lighter weights.

If all things were equal, I really like a good heavy weight bout. Give me a rerun of some of Larry Holmes fights now and then to remind me of what a really great heavy weight looks like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)