Epix - Yes or No?

cruiser83

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
I received an offer to get Epix channels 380 - 382 for half price, ($3.50/mo) Is Epix worth it or is it just a whole bunch of overran sub par movies?

If you have Netflix and/or Amazon Prime it's 50/50 (content is on these services 90 days after it's on Epix.). If not then hell yes.

Yes I would try it out. We have it and the channels are pretty good. Try and if you don't like the channels then get rid of them. IMO Epix is better than the movie and encore channels.

They have the whole Paramount library (Star Trek, World War Z), Lionsgate (Hunger Games) and occasionally get other studio catalogs on a temporary basis - last summer, they had a month of Bond flicks from MGM.

(Like TCM and Retro, Epix and Starz show their movies in their TRUE aspect ratio which I really appreciate. For the movies that have a 2.35:1 ratio, they show a lttle bit of black above and below the picture to preserve that. EVERYBODY ELSE mats their movies to the HD size which crops the left and right edges of the frame - Cinemax, Showtime, HBO, etc. all do that. That really bugs me but 99% of the public out there has no idea what I am soapboxing about.)

Is it worth $ 3.50? I guess. They were running a promo for a while where you got the whole Blockbuster at Home package which includes Epix (except for that cheesy Epix Drive In channel) for half price so just $ 5 instead of $ 10. I think that promo may be dead, though. Remember the package includes access to all their Epix On Demand content.

If you are a customer in good standing, Dish will likely give you a three-month trial to check out a premium package (everything except HBO) - all you have to do is ask.

I received an offer to get Epix channels 380 - 382 for half price, ($3.50/mo) Is Epix worth it or is it just a whole bunch of overran sub par movies?

It depends. How many months? We got it free for a month due to the price increase.

They play recent movies with a mix of older ones on the channels. Some complain they air the same movies over and over, but which channels do not do that nowadays even if it is annoying at times? There is also an Epix app for some devices like the Roku that allow you to stream the live channels along with other movies in their library that do not air on the channels.

Epix 1, 2, and 3 are included in BB@Home for $10/month along with the following channels: HD Net Movies, RetroPlex HD, IndiePlex HD, MoviePlex SD, Encore Suspense SD, Starz Cinema SD, Centric"HD," Logo "HD", Crime & Investigation HD, Universal HD, World Fishing Network SD, MavTV HD, Palladia HD, MGM HD, Sony Movie Channel HD/SD, Hallmark Movie Channel HD/SD, FX Movie Channel SD, and Pixl HD.

Epix Drive-In SD is also in America's Top 250.

They have the whole Paramount library (Star Trek, World War Z), Lionsgate (Hunger Games) and occasionally get other studio catalogs on a temporary basis - last summer, they had a month of Bond flicks from MGM.

(Like TCM and Retro, Epix and Starz show their movies in their TRUE aspect ratio which I really appreciate. For the movies that have a 2.35:1 ratio, they show a lttle bit of black above and below the picture to preserve that. EVERYBODY ELSE mats their movies to the HD size which crops the left and right edges of the frame - Cinemax, Showtime, HBO, etc. all do that. That really bugs me but 99% of the public out there has no idea what I am soapboxing about.)

Is it worth $ 3.50? I guess. They were running a promo for a while where you got the whole Blockbuster at Home package which includes Epix (except for that cheesy Epix Drive In channel) for half price so just $ 5 instead of $ 10. I think that promo may be dead, though. Remember the package includes access to all their Epix On Demand content.

If you are a customer in good standing, Dish will likely give you a three-month trial to check out a premium package (everything except HBO) - all you have to do is ask.

Oh man I like Epix Drive In! I wish it was in HD. They do have some cheesy movies on it but sometimes they have some cool horror flicks. I enjoy the Epix channels. They have a lot of the Marvel superhero movies on them.

Oh man I like Epix Drive In! I wish it was in HD. They do have some cheesy movies on it but sometimes they have some cool horror flicks. I enjoy the Epix channels. They have a lot of the Marvel superhero movies on them.

I like the Drive-In one, too! :) We used to have AT 250 and BB@Home for a long time but dropped some stuff, but the Drive-In channel is definitely unique.

The price is good depending on how long it lasts. If it goes up to regular price then dump it and go with the BB@H full package for $10 so you get all the EPIX AND a bunch of other good HD channels for just $3 more.

Yeah, I know that Epix Drive In has its quirky niche - not sure why they don't just pull that into BBAH like they do the first 3 Epix channels.

With Disney now in control of Iron Man 3 -> forward, all the newer Marvel flicks will now be on Starz (until 2015 when that contract expires and the Disney library goes to Netflix).

Thanks all, You guys convinced me, I might as well give it a try. I have not called DISH yet so I don't know if there is any fine print on the deal, the email did not imply any kind of time limit or commitment, it just referred to it as a limited time offer.

You would be getting more for your $$$ if you got the BB 1/2 price deal ($5) for 6 months...if you haven't had it recently, you should have NO trouble getting it. I'm actually on my 3rd consecutive round of BB 1/2 price, which I keep re-upping when it runs out. ;)

My thoughts on Epix...while I find something on it every now & then, I would ONLY take it as part of all the other BB channels & 1/2 off - not too sure I would keep them for $10, though. I certainly would NEVER give $7 JUST for Epix; not worth it.

You would be getting more for your $$$ if you got the BB 1/2 price deal ($5) for 6 months...if you haven't had it recently, you should have NO trouble getting it. I'm actually on my 3rd consecutive round of BB 1/2 price, which I keep re-upping when it runs out. ;)

My thoughts on Epix...while I find something on it every now & then, I would ONLY take it as part of all the other BB channels & 1/2 off - not too sure I would keep them for $10, though. I certainly would NEVER give $7 JUST for Epix; not worth it.

I do not have HD, I am still SD only programming, would that impact how many channels I would receive if I ordered BB?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)