Equipment Question HR20

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rbmjr

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
Hi all,

I have two HD DVR's (HR20). I live in a market where Dish and Cable both carry HD locals but DTV does not. I have tried every antenna imaginable apart from installing a lightning rod on the roof to pick up locals in HD...I can get only one consistently (CBS from 27 miles away).

Short question: My local cable company will provide HD locals & PBS for $20 a month. If I subscribe, is there a way to run their cable through my HR20's so I can record those local HD broadcasts on my DVR's? The cable company says I do not need a converter box for their HD locals as long as my HDTV has a digital tuner (both do).

Cheers,

Hi all,

I have two HD DVR's (HR20). I live in a market where Dish and Cable both carry HD locals but DTV does not. I have tried every antenna imaginable apart from installing a lightning rod on the roof to pick up locals in HD...I can get only one consistently (CBS from 27 miles away).

Short question: My local cable company will provide HD locals & PBS for $20 a month. If I subscribe, is there a way to run their cable through my HR20's so I can record those local HD broadcasts on my DVR's? The cable company says I do not need a converter box for their HD locals as long as my HDTV has a digital tuner (both do).

Cheers,

No, the DirecTV receivers will only tune OTA ATSC channels, not any cable channels since they use a different standard. Have you checked AntennaWeb or TV Fool to see what types of antennas they recommend for your location and what direction they need to be pointed towards?

You might be able to "move" your service address to a nearby location and receive their spotbeams. Where do you live?

As far as the antenna goes, don't forget things like pre-amps, the make a huge difference. Your networks may be a combination of VHF and UHF, are you using an antenna that can do both?

Thanks guys.

I'm in the Tupelo, MS market (actually Starkville), about 80 miles from either the Memphis or Jackson locals market, which both have the HD locals. I asked a rep about our area and he had no clue. Guess I'll just continue boycotting NBC, ABC, and Fox since they stupidly think I can get their signals.

I checked Antenna Web for my address. It indicated I could get these locals OTA with a flat multidirectional antenna and preamp. Bought one for each TV and the best I can get is 55% signal with CBS HD IF there is no rain within 600 miles! LOL on the 600 miles part.

You can move to either and be in beam. HOWEVER, based on this current info shown, at under 30m, with the correctly selected and aimed UHF/VHF combo OTA antenna, you should have no problems getting your OTA signals. Not sure what a "flat" multi-directional means, but you need something like this - mounted above the roof line.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...Antenna-(5884)&c=TV Antennas&sku=716079000734

OR

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...M-HD-(CCS1233)&c=TV Antennas&sku=716079000659

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 91
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts