Equipment Question

jmcmahon

Original poster
Aug 17, 2020
Williston, North Dakota
I found this receiver online - GTMEDIA V8 UHD - and was wondering if anyone here has this and how they like it,
and if maybe there's a better one to use.

What satellites are people watching tv on? I would like to receive all the FTA channels possible but
much of what I'm seeing is encrypted, I hate the idea of being locked into a Directv/Dish network subscription for two years
and Orby doesn't have the sports channels I want to watch.

I've been looking at satbeams and lyngsat trying to figure out which satellites have the FTA content I want which is the same channels
from Directv/Dish but much isn't FTA.

Thanks,
John

For the price, it is not a bad receiver. Do make sure you update the firmware to the most recent if you choose to get one. I found it helped with some blind scanning issues I was having. I also have a few Edision MIO 4k receivers which I really like also. Titanium is a US Edision dealer.

Sent using Tapatalk

Is there a satellite dish that will work with this receiver that can receive multiple satellites at the same time?
If your dish is large enough and the satellites you want are close enough together then you could install a multi-lnbf bracket. This is one example, there are other types available.

If not then a motor can be used. When you select a channel your receiver will issue a command and the motor will move automatically to that satellite. :)

If your dish is large enough and the satellites you want are close enough together then you could install a multi-lnbf bracket. This is one example, there are other types available.

If not then a motor can be used. When you select a channel your receiver will issue a command and the motor will move automatically to that satellite. :)

What size dish would receive multiple satellites? hopefully one smaller than a 10 foot one

I forgot to add, is one receiver brand better than another? where is a good place to buy the receiver ?
Check out my links in post #4 for places to buy. You will be getting a quality receiver with good support from either seller. As far as better than the other, the Edision will do more but it has a higher learning curve. The Amiko Mini HD265 might be a better choice for someone just starting out.

What size dish would receive multiple satellites? hopefully one smaller than a 10 foot one
I have seen posts here of people get stable KU band signals with close multiple satellites using just a 90cm dish. The same can be done for c band satellites. I use motors for my setup so I will let others comment as to the mechanics of set up and what is actually receivable. :)

For the price, it is not a bad receiver. Do make sure you update the firmware to the most recent if you choose to get one. I found it helped with some blind scanning issues I was having.

So the blind scan is pretty good then? I have an earlier model, the V8 Super, and it finds most things OK but for some reason on 97W Ku it doesn't get the names for some of the channels, just gives them a generic name. I've never had another receiver fail to get the right name for a full-time channel if it had one.

I'm still learning but my question to the forum is:
Will the following equipment allow me to watch FTA channels?
any there any issues with the equipment I've chosen? - better equipment?
What satellites will this equipment allow me to receive?

I decided on a motorized mount to change satellites if needed,
I' m looking for a lot of the same channels you'd find on regular tv services.

I've been looking at lyngsat for channels and satbeams
and both seem to contradict each other as to what's offered on each satellite.

Is one site better than another?

Thanks,

I'm still learning but my question to the forum is:
Will the following equipment allow me to watch FTA channels?
any there any issues with the equipment I've chosen? - better equipment?
What satellites will this equipment allow me to receive?

I decided on a motorized mount to change satellites if needed,
I' m looking for a lot of the same channels you'd find on regular tv services.

I've been looking at lyngsat for channels and satbeams
and both seem to contradict each other as to what's offered on each satellite.

Is one site better than another?

Thanks,

missed adding the equipment i'm looking at

Gtmedia V8 UHD DVB-S2 satellite receiver DVB-S/S2/S2X DVB+T/T2/ISDB-T/Cable(J83.A/C)/ATSC-C(J83.B) Better V8 pro2 V8 NOVA

missed adding the equipment i'm looking at

Gtmedia V8 UHD DVB-S2 satellite receiver DVB-S/S2/S2X DVB+T/T2/ISDB-T/Cable(J83.A/C)/ATSC-C(J83.B) Better V8 pro2 V8 NOVA
Yes that equipment will do Ku band fta (not saying buy it). Not much FTA for standard channels but what you have to do is scan each satellite looking for feeds. We FTA people do find some good content to watch at times some sports included. It is a hobby and it's not for everyone. For my cable channels I have orby tv and my over the air market is good here and my FTA receiver is also capable of getting over the air channels.

jmacmahon,
As for sites that have up to date satellite listings, I use two sites.
tvrosat.com and sathint.com.
They are updated frequently and are the most accurate sites I’ve found.
John

For the price, it is not a bad receiver. Do make sure you update the firmware to the most recent if you choose to get one. I found it helped with some blind scanning issues I was having. I also have a few Edision MIO 4k receivers which I really like also. Titanium is a US Edision dealer.
Thank you for your comments. I am thinking of trying one of those GT Media UHD receivers, too.

I've been looking at satbeams and lyngsat trying to figure out which satellites have the FTA content I want which is the same channels
from Directv/Dish but much isn't FTA.
That's right. FTA is not a replacement for DTV or Dish. There is some quality programming available FTA and some you will never see on pay TV. But it's no substitute for the cable. Most of what FTA hobbyists watch is on C-Band where a 10' dish dish is the norm. But Ku has stuff I wouldn't want to be without too such as the PBS feeds.
Look at this www.ftalistings.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts