Please reply by conversation.

bigOleB

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2005
SC
Review: Fortec 180cm Dish

Upon arrival from Sadoun, I noticed the care taken to ship this dish. The box was made from thick cardboard and contents were protected by molded foam. There was no damage to contents.

You will "want" the following tools to assemble: 10mm & 14mm Socket Wrench, 10mm & 14mm Socket Drill/Driver, torque wrench, and a good friend or neighbor.

The dish is composed of 6 triangular shaped panels constructed of thin metal and coated with the normal "gray". The included LNB arms have multiple mounting options and attached easily to the scalar ring of the ASC-421 LNBF. The operational winds are rated at 70mph and survival winds rated at 90mph. This seems a little high but I will have to wait and see.

The included "fixed mount" is also somewhat dissapointing as it doesn't appear to be designed to hold a dish this size. But, after mounting the dish to the stand, the weight was very well balanced. A great feature with this stand is the ability to easily change the elevation of the dish by using the tool-less adjustment bar at the rear of the stand. It makes lifting the 50lb dish up and down childsplay! The entire assembly is very easy to move.

Three step aiming process:
  1. Turn entire dish/stand east or west to desired location
  2. Raise/Lower elevation with tool-less knob at rear of stand
  3. Adjust skew by rotating LNB left or right
Total installation time was about 2 hours not including aiming.

In my opinion...

I am somewhat concerned about the thickness of the metal and its ability to withstand high winds. This being said, if it cost you a fortune to have a dish shipped to you, package is only 60lbs gross weight. I believe once the panels were joined the entire structure became stronger. I would rather there be a polar mount option than the fixed mount, and Sadoun assures me there will be one very soon.

This dish was a good buy for the money and is proving to be a good addition to the "farm". I just hope no hurricanes come this way. Questic

Attachments

• dish1.jpg
    dish1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 371
  • dish5.jpg
    dish5.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 354
  • dish2.jpg
    dish2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 355
  • dish6.jpg
    dish6.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 363
  • dish3.jpg
    dish3.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 355
  • dish7.jpg
    dish7.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 368
  • dish4.jpg
    dish4.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 408
My usb cable died yesterday (chewed by dog) , I just picked one up from Wal-Mart, along with a compass and will post the pics tonight, Sorry. :)

PS. 30-40 Mph gusts and no problems so far...

Iceberg said:
Little too big for me to mount that on the deck :D

Slightly... :D It would look nice perched on the roof though :yes

that mount does look a little slight for a dish that size. I guess time will tell huh. How is the reception so far?

I am getting about 70% quality on most G11 TP's with Pansat 2500A

questic said:
I would rather there be a polar mount option than the fixed mount, and Sadoun assures me there will be one very soon.

Looks great! I keep waiting for Sadoun to tell me I won one but I'm thinking I must not have won. :(

Yup... I got it for $173.25 shipped w/ SatelliteGuys discount.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)