Equipment Suggestions?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Weazol

Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
NorCal
I'm new here and I was trying to find a simple guide to the best equipment.
I am interested in FTA for the stations Galaxy 19

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a good setup that wouldn't run me more than 300$

I found one here DBS8000+ System
and here FTA Systems

but I was looking for some opinions on it.
Thank you in advance

Weazol,

:welcome To SatelliteGuys!

Recommending equipment to others is a difficult thing to do. There are so many variables and styles (not only in the different equipment, but in the person themselves) to take into account. The geographic area and the reception possibilities must also be considered.

I have personally not been a fan of "kit" purchases, but they can often be a very nice choice because of price and possibly because the components are well matched. Piecing your own system together component by component has advantages and disadvantages, too.

For the price of either system you were looking at, you really cannot go wrong for a fixed point (a single dish aimed at one sat) system.

The first question that I would ask is which system would be best suited to upgrade to a motorized system. If you get into this FTA hobby with great sincerity, you may and likely will desire to add a motor at some time in the future. If these systems can be easily adaptable to a motor, that will be a good hint.

Always plan ahead for expansion and upgrades.

I started out with salvaged parts. Old dishes that no one wanted anymore and started setting up numerous fixed point dishes with inexpensive switch arrays. Then my desires grew into a habit and the habit into an addiction! :)

The more satellites and the more channels that I could find, the better. Regardless if I ever watched them or not. It was a challenge and great fun to just see what I could pull in with the least expensive method and equipment that I could get ahold of.

However, you can always trust our sponsors here for the best deals and the best and most honest and personal support for whatever your desires are. I do believe that most if not all of the sponsors of SatelliteGuys take a very active and personal role on our site and with us as customers. Therefore, you cannot go wrong dealing with them as they are here to assist, troubleshoot, advise and just all around be the same as every other member for support.

Yes, here you can talk to the people that you buy the equipment from directly, like walking into their shop and meeting them in person. This is a great relationship that we have here with our sponsors. I guarantee that they will always treat you right and they will correct any errors should any arise.

My best advice to you as a new member here, would be to not buy anything right away. Do some reading of older posts and threads. Talk to some of the sponsors. Look at all the products they offer. Compare the prices and the specificatons. Learn what all is truly available. Brush up on the information contained n the stickies, the "how-to's" and the tutorials. Then start making a wish list.

Just take your time before you jump into any purchase as it might get you closer to what you want at a lower price and a better quality.

There is a lot of stuff to cover and a wide diversity in the products offered for all sorts of different needs. SO ensure that you are heading in the right direction before you buy.

I believe that you will have the greatest support for whatever you buy as most of us or at least many of us either own or have owned just about everything available out there at one time or another.

I do wish you a lot of fun in this and would be honored to help you by giving specific opinions when I can. But, most of all I wish to welcome you for starters.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.