Equipment verification

Seems like the best way to spend dwindling revenue from the result of declining customers. /s

You'd think the goal right now would be to not piss off existing customers with this nonsense.
Existing customers will always find a reason to get pissed off. If it wasn't this, it would be channel removals, software glitches, etc. Some customers even purposely look for things to complain about, just in hopes of talking their way into getting monthly credits toward the bill, free premium packages, etc.

Reactions: Brussam
Existing customers will always find a reason to get pissed off. If it wasn't this, it would be channel removals, software glitches, etc. Some customers even purposely look for things to complain about, just in hopes of talking their way into getting monthly credits toward the bill, free premium packages, etc.

Yeah but this is the thing the have the most control of.

Reactions: pattykay
Wasn't asking for freebee's

But this is a particular PITA that goes back decades, and some people on cordless phones or cell phones (today there are many who no longer have copper hard wired phones) have the call accidetially DROPPED, and then Dish locks down ALL receiving equipment causing HUGE pain and TIME and several hoops that can take days to reconcile. These have been made to subscribers who have ALL equipment connected to the same phone line (number) and later to all equipment on the same LAN (same IP address or more precisely common IP adress because the ISP's do change/re-assign the subsribers IP address over time, but the point is the IP address is the same for all Dish equipment.

Sorry, but this is a legitimate gripe of a really STUPID thing by Dish--unless all the equipment is NOT connected to a phone line or the internet. You are welcome to check the posts starting at year 2002, at least, of all the legitimate Dish subscribers who have been WRONGLY disconnected and no compensation for the DAYS they were without service. Add to that the snippy, rude, and imperious attitude that Account Auditing exhibited over the last 20 years, at least .

After all that research, then you can claim that legitimate subscribers have noting to worry about--and YES, I've experienced the SNOTTY Account Auditing personal many years ago because I've always had many TV's, but ALWAYS all devices connected to a phone line and later alleirconnected to the internet at ALL TIMES, and at AEP level, no less. Dish could be more polite and well mannered in their attitude, after all, they have their finger comfortably on the OFF switch. When one possess that kind of powr, there is no reason for rudeness. They could at least "smile" with their voice and be apologetic about now you are all turned off situation and "have a nice day" attitude at least, not the Earnestine telepone operator routine because unlik AT&T and its Bell System in those days long, long, ago, Dish is not the only game in town, even less so with today's streaming options. Unecessary Account Auditing could just send subscribers to competitors and streaming services at "cord cutters"

I forgot to add that if you take "too long" to get to all your Dish receiver equipment, you LOSE THE GAME and are banished. YOU SHALL NOT PASS! Some people are old and slow and others are younger but DUMB with tech and going into the menus etc. Again, if all Dish receiveing equipment is NOT connected to a phone line or an ISP, then that would be a legitimate concer for Dish. My objection is to those who have their Dish receiving boxes connected to a telephone line or ISP at all times. It is not wise to bother subscribers unecessarily with the theat of being shut off from the service you have paid for (Dish's systm is to have you pay ahead).

You raise an interesting point about having all of the receivers connected to the same internet connection. I would just like to point out that there may be a legitimate reason why certain receivers in a household are not connected. I recently hooked up an old ViP211k that I had put in storage while I was still relying on Wally receivers. (I detailed in another recent thread why I no longer trust Wally for use as a DVR.) I tried using the USB Wi-Fi adapter to connect the ViP211k to the internet. (This is the same internet connection that all of my other internet-connected receivers use.) I could not even get the ViP211k to acknowledge that the Wi-Fi adapter was even hooked up, much less actually get it to connect. So, I am guessing that the ViP211k is not capable of using the Dish-branded Wi-Fi adapter, and an ethernet connection is the only option. I am usually pretty good at going through the menus to find any setting that might need to be changed, and I did not see any Wi-Fi option anywhere in the ViP211k's menu. Meanwhile, on my ViP222k, the Wi-Fi option is intuitive, easy-to-find, and has worked flawlessly ever since I hooked up its Wi-Fi adapter. It would take a very long ethernet cable to be able to hook up the ViP211k directly, so I have just left it unhooked from the internet. (I realize that there are probably other solutions that could be used to convert the ethernet connection into some kind of wireless solution. However, I am not going to spend the money on extra equipment just to provide an internet connection to a receiver that I barely use, especially when connecting the internet to that particular model of receiver does not really provide any additional features or benefits at all.)

Meanwhile, if there are two neighboring households, and one of them has really good Wi-Fi signal, then it is entirely possible for those households to account-stack, and still have all of their equipment connected to the same internet connection. It is now even technically possible for that shared account to have two Hopper 3's, and still have them both connected to the same dish, thanks to the DPH42 switch. By your standards, this would still qualify as a legitimate customer who should not be bothered, even though they are in fact breaking the rules.

My two Hoppers are almost never connected to the same IP or even the same Internet service and I've never been audited by Dish. Is this something they only do to contract subscribers? All my equipment is owned and I've never been on contract.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)