Eratic Signal

knethken

Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
California
I am fairly new at Sat installing and have a system with an eratic signal on ch. 901 (90-20 on SQ). A couple of questions:
1. If the correct transponder and polarity are diplayed is it possible to have the wrong satelite (the signal bar never turns green)?
2. Can nearby electric lines cause the variability if they are not in the direct path (sighting up LNBF arm)?
3. I did find one transponder with a stable signal but it was in the 40's. is any of this reasonable?

I followed the install instructions then did other checking after spending considerable time on 901. The dish is verified flat and the mounting arm is verified plumb.

I am fairly new at Sat installing and have a system with an eratic signal on ch. 901 (90-20 on SQ). A couple of questions:
1. If the correct transponder and polarity are diplayed is it possible to have the wrong satelite (the signal bar never turns green)?
The erratic SQ, The SQ meter display not turning green and no TV programming displayed all suggest incorrect dish aiming or an incorrect skew setting. You should not be in the installation menus and only use channels 901, 113 and 106 when installing and aiming the dish.

2. Can nearby electric lines cause the variability if they are not in the direct path (sighting up LNBF arm)?
High Voltage main line transmission lines could cause poor reception if in very close proximity to the dish or cutting through the line of sight to the satellite. If the lines are sighted below the LNBF arm, it is highly unlikely that they will have any affect on the satellite reception.

3. I did find one transponder with a stable signal but it was in the 40's. is any of this reasonable?
Sounds like you are in the installation menu? If so, you are probably on an incorrect satellite, butthe receiver has a transponder that has similar transponder parameters. If not in the menu, did the channel display TV programming?

I followed the install instructions then did other checking after spending considerable time on 901. The dish is verified flat and the mounting arm is verified plumb.
Is the LNBF skew set to the correct angle? If the Skew is not correctly rotated, it will be nearly impossible to locate the G19 satellite.

• Perform a factory reset
  • Activate as Glorystar
  • Set the LNBF Skew (California Skew will be clockwise 25 to 27 degrees when standing in front of the dish looking into the reflector).
  • Verify that the Elevation Bracket / Mast Clamp was correctly assembled using Hole "A".
  • Set the approximate elevation angle using the white pointer on scale "A" (to the left side of the nut).
  • Step away from all metal and electrical sources and identify a landmark on the horizon (tree, telephone pole, etc.) that lines up with the compass reading.
  • View channel 901 Signal Meter on a small TV next to the dish and very SLOWLY sweep east and west of the landmark up to 10 or 15 degrees.
  • If no SQ rise is noted, raise or lower the dish one degree and once again very SLOWLY sweep east and west of the landmark up to 10 or 15 degrees.
  • Repeat until the satellite is located and the SQ is peaked with TV programming visible on the TV next to the dish.
  • Peak and balance the SQ on three channels 901, 113 and 106. Rotating the LNBF clockwise or counterclockwise or sliding towards or away from the reflector (AFTER the satellite is found and peaked) will help balance the SQ between the channels.
  • Perform a manual OTA "Update Now"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)