Ergen: Narrowband Net Will Be 'Big Dish' IoT Play; 5G to Follow

Ergen suggested there was not much downside for him. "For me it's not a job," he said. "It's not going to change my standard of living one way or the other. It's a hobby. When it's a hobby you get up every day excited about it."

Good for Charlie. He's done well and has been successful at many of his endeavors. Will sit back and watch this unfold with curiosity.

Not all. Some percentage, which eludes me at the moment.

And if he makes good faith progress, and can demonstrate external factors, such as 5G chipset shortages, they’ll give him a pass.

The auction litigation is holding up some of the spectrum, and the 600 MHz spectrum won't even be cleared until 2020, so I think yeah, he likely won't have any trouble getting an extension if needed.

Believe it when I see it. He has a year and 7 months to build it all out before 2020 deadline.

Exactly!

Meanwhile At&T and others continue to roll out fiber to everywhere.

Never thought this time last year I would actually see fiber at my house.

The fact of the matter is he has roughly 18 months before 2020. That’s not really lots of time to do anything except roll out a test market or 2.

This should have all been done 6 years ago, Dish should have had their wireless rolled out by 2012.

I don’t care how many leases Charlie signed. He is just using it to put on his biggest bluff ever and have someone like Verizon or AT&T buy all his spectrum and maybe his failing satellite television business with it.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
And since we are on the subject of partnerships, nobody wants to partner with Dish. Every partnership has ended badly for the company who decided to take a chance and work with Dish.

The only partnerships that work for Dish are the ones where they buy the other company.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
And since we are on the subject of partnerships, nobody wants to partner with Dish. Every partnership has ended badly for the company who decided to take a chance and work with Dish.

The only partnerships that work for Dish are the ones where they buy the other company.
Pretty sure Amazon, Sears and Samsung will disagree with that

Is it just me or does Claude really not like Dish ? I think he actually is in a love Hate relationship with Dish that’s why he is always posting in the Dish Forum.Maybe it’s about time to give Charlie a Big hug and move on .

I'd say more of a love/HATE relationship.

Reactions: david_jr
Exactly!

Meanwhile At&T and others continue to roll out fiber to everywhere.

AT&T most other investor owned providers are rolling out fiber mainly in urban and suburban areas.

There are several deployments of FTTH/FTTB in rural areas that are being facilitated by rural electric co-ops, telephone co-ops, and some municipal governments.

Unfourtinalely most rural areas will still have to rely on fixed wireless or satellite for broadband in the future.

Dish's wireless deployment will have a place in those areas.

Never thought this time last year I would actually see fiber at my house.

I NEVER EVER thought I would see fiber here. Luckily my rural electric co-op is running fiber to the whole county. They have began to run cable down the road I live on right now. It is a very rural area, maybe 2 or 3 subscribers per mile on average. We should have 1Gbps availability here by the end of this year or first of next year.

He is just using it to put on his biggest bluff ever and have someone like Verizon or AT&T buy all his spectrum and maybe his failing satellite television business with it.

Could be, but I suspect that eventually Dish may end up being the only DBS service left. AT&T seems to have all but stopped investing in their satellite business and are on the way to attempting to move customers over to DirecTV Now (or some other yet to be determined 'home centric' service).

There will always be a need for DBS in rural markets, and once all of the cord cutting levels off, Dish could end up being the only DBS player. Of course that will be years out.

be careful, I used to challenge things that guy said about Dish all the time and moderator threaten to ban me. he has a lot of pull on this fourm

I am not challenging anything Claude or ewindowman (not sure which guy you were referring to) are saying. I was just trying to better describe the balance between love and hate Claude seems to have for Dish.

I think satellite will have advantages that will help it compete with OTT. A consolidated EPG, real DVR, no Internet use required. Etc.
I agree with you about the advantages of satellite.

Another is, if you're OTT only, if your internet connection goes down, so does your TV.

I have been thinking on and off about going with Sling or DirecTV now when I get fiber here.

The fiber network is brand new and state of the art, in theory, it should rarely go down.

However, it is aerial, on the power poles where the electricity comes in. Even though it has redundancy, I.E. coming in from different directions, I know that it is inevitable, that given the area where I live (North Alabama) we'll end up having thunderstorms, tornados, or ice that will bring some of the lines down in the future.

I think I had rather just stick with satellite. If the power goes out, I have a whole home backup generator for that. But, if the internet goes down, and it is a few days before the fiber line can get fixed, I'd be completely without TV.

At least with satellite and a backup generator, I can have TV virtually all the time.

AT&T most other investor owned providers are rolling out fiber mainly in urban and suburban areas.

I NEVER EVER thought I would see fiber here. Luckily my rural electric co-op is running fiber to the whole county. They have began to run cable down the road I live on right now. It is a very rural area, maybe 2 or 3 subscribers per mile on average. We should have 1Gbps availability here by the end of this year or first of next year.

There will always be a need for DBS in rural markets, and once all of the cord cutting levels off, Dish could end up being the only DBS player. Of course that will be years out.
So the co-op is running fiber. What ever happened to that prospect of powerline internet that some were talking about a few years ago? I would have thought if it were doable it would have been far cheaper than running fiber.

Reactions: TheKrell
So the co-op is running fiber. What ever happened to that prospect of powerline internet that some were talking about a few years ago? I would have thought if it were doable it would have been far cheaper than running fiber.

That has fallen by the wayside.

Cullman Electric Co-Op here in Alabama gave that a try.

If I remember corrrectly, about 1.5 down was the fastest speed that was attainable and I don’t believe that was ever consistent.

Too much noise on the electrical lines.

Our co-op going to spend about $40 million to run around 2,000 miles of fiber.

They are doing it though a combination of Federal grants and low interest financing through USDA and Co-Bank.

They are doing it in five phases.

Phase I is complete and is about 200 miles with probably about 5,000 subscribers.

Phase II has began construction, this is the one that I am in. I think it is going to be about 400-600 miles. The construction of outside plant is supposed to be finished late this year. With customers coming on around October or November.

They reckon it will take about 5 years to complete all five phases.

Which would make it around 2022.

Reactions: ncted
Broadband over power line was always a bad idea. It caused interference, to boot.

So I’m suspicious of ATT’s new version.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Broadband over power line was always a bad idea. It caused interference, to boot.

So I’m suspicious of ATT’s new version.

Isn’t AT&T’s “experimental” version wireless? I think they’re mounting small antennas on power poles and the antenna is supposed to draw power from it. Supposedly they’re supposed to be able to get gigabit speeds, but I doubt it in real life. I would think the electric lines would interfere with the wireless signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)