Error 05

kwindrem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 5, 2006
I've recently started seeing Error 05 indicating "file" problems when trying to view a DVR program. This morning, one of my regular shows split into two separate recordings, the first resulted in Error 05 and would not play.

I found this error code under "Hard Drive Failure" on the Dish web site but the article talked about signal loss. So which is it?

It's been COLD here (mid 20s last night) and we had a few inches of snow last week. I typically loose signal when it snows but did not in this last storm, but did the morning after as snow fell from the trees. Some channels were breaking up and freezing and signal level on that transponder was around 8 and Point Dish couldn't lock to it.

The sky and dish are clear this morning and signal levels are in the 50s and 60s on all satellites so signal loss isn't a good explanation of this morning's problem.

Before I ask for an exchange receiver, can someone tell me if Error 05 is a hard drive or signal loss issue?

I have a Hopper with Sling (no Joeys). My system is on a UPS so power failure is ruled out.

I have a 1000 Plus, DPP33 and a solo node. The node is outside, but this is not the dish/node combination that is is known to cause signal loss issues.

Except for the nightly reboots, I have not reset my Hopper in couple of weeks.

Don't know if it is the same problem.
Last night I recorded Jay Leno, he was split into two separate recordings. Both halves played OK except fro some pixelation around the break.
Have not had any snow here in So Cal yet and my Dual Node is in the bedroom closet.

I have seen this code with blockbuster corrupted downloads Broadband support said thay need to timeout then Re-download mabe it's corrupt video on HD. 50 and 60 sound very low for 1000+ maybe the 118 or 129 but 119 and 110 Should be High 70's on a good day 80's At least in Ohio. Why a 33switch when newer lnb's don't need switch in a 1 hopper setup. Did thay run new lines to hopper when thay set it up? As a tech this is the number 1 problem with hop/Joey systems. You can have good signals but still have sig problems if cable don't Meet the requirements. You will also have Hdmi problems if if cable don't meet Requirements

Error code 05 indicates that a file error occurred when a DVR recording was interrupted by signal loss or power failure. To me it sounds like your box had signal loss for some reason and that affected the recording in progress, hence the 05 error.