error 5 and pixelation

geneod

Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Los Angeles
Hi, long time reader....
I have the 722. For about a month now error 5 comes up with some pixelation behind the warning or pixelation and audio loss occurs for about a second. This happens maybe 2-3 times per 30 minute show. It occurs on live TV and recordings. I had a tech come last week and he aligned and relocated the dish. I have unplugged and checked switch several times but it still occurs. I have also cranked up the fan that I have cooling the unit next to it. I have thought that the hard drive is failing, but there are no other errors on diagnostics. However, when I watch OTA it does not seem to occur.
Anyone have any other ideas? I would hate to swap out the unit, but that may be the next step. I have just read that people get refubished units and go through several units. I've had mine since day one about 3 years ago. I would also have to spend some money just get an external hard drive to transfer stuff that I would like to keep for the kids. TIA

Hi, long time reader....
I have the 722. For about a month now error 5 comes up with some pixelation behind the warning or pixelation and audio loss occurs for about a second. This happens maybe 2-3 times per 30 minute show. It occurs on live TV and recordings. I had a tech come last week and he aligned and relocated the dish. I have unplugged and checked switch several times but it still occurs. I have also cranked up the fan that I have cooling the unit next to it. I have thought that the hard drive is failing, but there are no other errors on diagnostics. However, when I watch OTA it does not seem to occur.
Anyone have any other ideas? I would hate to swap out the unit, but that may be the next step. I have just read that people get refubished units and go through several units. I've had mine since day one about 3 years ago. I would also have to spend some money just get an external hard drive to transfer stuff that I would like to keep for the kids. TIA

Does this error mention anything about the smart card?

I'm pretty sure that it didn't. If I remember correctly, it was 1. you are not authorized to view this channel(but I am),2. unplug your receiver to correct(which I have, plus it goes away) 3. call dish....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)