Error 775.... SWM has no light

melindascrochet

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2020
Texas
I have 2 HD receivers and have had DirecTV for about 2 years or longer. I went home on break yesterday and found this error code on both of my tvs.

I called them and they said because I moved it out of the room it was installed in a year ago, that's why it's not working. I don't know anything about this but that just doesn't sound right to me!! They want to charge me 40.00 to come install it in the room that it was moved to.

I did some research online yesterday and bought another box from Amazon.

So when it gets here tomorrow do I just plug it in and I'm good to go? Also, do you think it could be something other than the box? Thanks in advance!

This is what I ordered from Amazon
Screenshot_20200124-112743_Amazon Shopping.jpg

:welcome to Satelliteguys melindascrochet!
What is the error code you are getting and what model numbers of the boxes?

What box did you buy off of Amazon? A 775 error usually means your power inserter, the item in the picture you posted, isn't providing power to the dish. Is the green light on the power inserter already have on? Perhaps you unplugged it somehow.

What box did you buy off of Amazon? A 775 error usually means your power inserter, the item in the picture you posted, isn't providing power to the dish. Is the green light on the power inserter already have on? Perhaps you unplugged it somehow.
I got the Swn(?) Not sure what it's called but it is hooked up to the main box. No my old one did not have any light and it was plugged into the wall. From what they told me when I called, the black box that didn't have a light on it was how the receiver communicates with that satellite dish.

Please excuse my ignorance on this matter but what exactly do you mean by power inverter exactly?
Tha is so much for your time and help!

I got the Swn(?) Not sure what it's called but it is hooked up to the main box. No my old one did not have any light and it was plugged into the wall. From what they told me when I called, the black box that didn't have a light on it was how the receiver communicates with that satellite dish.

Please excuse my ignorance on this matter but what exactly do you mean by power inverter exactly?
Tha is so much for your time and help!
The power inserter is the box in the picture you posted. It provides power to the dish. Make sure you have it connected correctly. The port labeled ird goes to the H24, the other port goes to the dish. There must be a splitter somewhere. The power inserter, if between the splitter and the H24s, must be on the power passing port of the splitter. That's designated by a red line on the splitter.

Thank you so much!!! I will look for the spitter tomorrow. I don't know what could have happened but this is the first time I have ever had this problem. Thanks again!!

You can move the receivers around all you want BUT you CAN NOT move the power inserter to another outlet. Only one terminal on the splitters for the house allow power to pass though. In order to move the power inserter to another outlet the connections at the splitters have to be reconfigured. Normally the power inserter is installed at the outlet that is closest to the satellite and should be left closest to the satellite.

You can move the receivers around all you want BUT you CAN NOT move the power inserter to another outlet. Only one terminal on the splitters for the house allow power to pass though. In order to move the power inserter to another outlet the connections at the splitters have to be reconfigured. Normally the power inserter is installed at the outlet that is closest to the satellite and should be left closest to the satellite.
Ok thank you!! Its been moved for almost a year now so I wonder why it took so long to act up on me!!
I checked all the receivers and there is not a splitter anywhere. Both are connected thru the cable that comes out of the wall. So at this point I don't know what I need to do but after missing a half a day at work and having 2 techs here all day to set it up, I really don't want to have to go thru that again!!!
So again, thanks for all your time and help!!

Both receivers are connected by the cable that comes out of the wall.
It has to be split somewhere. There are different cables going to each receiver.
[automerge]1579920963[/automerge]
How many cables come from the dish?

It has to be split somewhere. There are different cables going to each receiver.
[automerge]1579920963[/automerge]
How many cables come from the dish?

Ahh ok. I will keep looking then. I have no idea how many cables comes from the dish because my dish is on the roof of my house. Sorry

I've seen some installers install the splitter at the dish for some odd reason. My only guess is they used existing wiring that was going to a non-swm dish so already had all the lines going to the dish...

I've seen some installers install the splitter at the dish for some odd reason. My only guess is they used existing wiring that was going to a non-swm dish so already had all the lines going to the dish...

Thanks for your reply. That is probably the case because the people that lived here before us did have cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)