Error messages on Genie self-check

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mijd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Sarasota fl
I'm wondering if anyone has experience this problem.... I've done a search and didn't find any threads that matched my problem. Today for the 2nd time in a month my Genie lost it's picture and started doing a self-check. This went on for well over 4 hours with the notice on the TV screen stating there was an error in the storage data? When 91% done, the self-check had found and corrected over 700 errors. The self-check finally stopped and displayed a message to call the customer service number that the problem couldn't be repaired. I reset the Genie by unplugging for over a minute and it started the self-check again. This time in finished in about an hour and the picture came back on.
Last time this happened, it took almost 2 hours to finish before the picture came back on (after reset). All of my DVR recording were erased as well, however after a couple of hours and another reset they were all back. I do notice a picture freeze on some recordings and I have to skip forward for the recorded program to continue. The freeze isn't due to rain fade either.
Has anyone had this similar problem and is there a permanent fix such as swapping out my Genie? Thanks for all future replies!

I'm wondering if anyone has experience this problem.... I've done a search and didn't find any threads that matched my problem. Today for the 2nd time in a month my Genie lost it's picture and started doing a self-check. This went on for well over 4 hours with the notice on the TV screen stating there was an error in the storage data? When 91% done, the self-check had found and corrected over 700 errors. The self-check finally stopped and displayed a message to call the customer service number that the problem couldn't be repaired. I reset the Genie by unplugging for over a minute and it started the self-check again. This time in finished in about an hour and the picture came back on. Last time this happened, it took almost 2 hours to finish before the picture came back on (after reset). All of my DVR recording were erased as well, however after a couple of hours and another reset they were all back. I do notice a picture freeze on some recordings and I have to skip forward for the recorded program to continue. The freeze isn't due to rain fade either. Has anyone had this similar problem and is there a permanent fix such as swapping out my Genie? Thanks for all future replies!

You need to set up a service call ASAP, won't be long before it won't come back on. The hard drive is failing

Yep. As noted you need to make a call to customer service. I just had a similar situation with two HR24s. When you get into the phone message system only use the first two digits of the problem code. Yours should start with 14- or 15-. The CSR may make you do the whole reboot over again (mine did) so be prepared for about a half-hour call. The good part is that they will ship you a replacement that will arrive in a day or two via the Post Office.

You can authorize the replacement receiver over the internet. The website does the deactivation of the old receiver and activation of the new one all automatically. They have done a really good job on that part of the process. (Hopefully they have fixed the problem with entering the location of the receiver which necessitated a trouble call to get a location entered for my replacement.)

But, the problem you are experiencing is non-repairable and will continue. Your only remedy is replacement.

Thanks for the replies. I would have continued to reboot unaware the HD would fail and thanks Bob for relating your similar experience. I will call when within the next day or two and give myself an hour for the call to support. Sure glad I didn't discontinue my equipment protection.

Write down the error number. I'm guessing its an error code 14 or 23.
If it resets and still has the error, its an automatic replacement (They'll ship it to you)

Yep. As noted you need to make a call to customer service. I just had a similar situation with two HR24s. When you get into the phone message system only use the first two digits of the problem code. Yours should start with 14- or 15-. The CSR may make you do the whole reboot over again (mine did) so be prepared for about a half-hour call. The good part is that they will ship you a replacement that will arrive in a day or two via the Post Office.

You can authorize the replacement receiver over the internet. The website does the deactivation of the old receiver and activation of the new one all automatically. They have done a really good job on that part of the process. (Hopefully they have fixed the problem with entering the location of the receiver which necessitated a trouble call to get a location entered for my replacement.)

But, the problem you are experiencing is non-repairable and will continue. Your only remedy is replacement.

Don't count on that. I recently replaced an H20-600 with an H20-100. Two months later, the -600 was still on my account.

Don't count on that. I recently replaced an H20-600 with an H20-100. Two months later, the -600 was still on my account.
Did you see the message on the website that the old receiver was being deactivated? If you didn't then something went wrong in your swap-out. The website knew that I was replacing the bad receiver the second I selected it.

Did you see the message on the website that the old receiver was being deactivated? If you didn't then something went wrong in your swap-out. The website knew that I was replacing the bad receiver the second I selected it.

I think mine worked like that the last time I swapped recvrs, worked very well and quickly ...

Lets hope they keep that feature available to the subs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)