eSata port on Hopper - Anyone used it for their external hard drives?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It's as theKrell, again, stated. USB2.0 is adequate to handle an archive job for a dual tuner DVR, but still ONE stream, or a SINGLE tuner DVR's stream to the external HDD recording live TV as the the 211. However, USB2.0 lacks sufficient bandwidth to handle the full functionality of a dual tuner DVR that must record up to THREE streams (2 sat and 1 OTA) to the external HDD AND playback a recording FROM the external HDD ALL AT THE SAME TIME for the 222/K STB's that were promised to function just like a 722/K. Charlie had been promising this right up to the very end while Jim was trying to shush Charlie up saying, "NO!" while Charlie still promised as if never hearing Jim. Unlike USB2.0, eSATA has the bandwidth to handle all those streams and and more required of the 222/K with full DVR funtionality. Further, we know this in practice as this is how many cable TV DVR's and DirecTV DVR's and TiVo achieve multiple stream to and from all at the same time, flawlessly. It has been suggested that Dish may have considered some diminished functionality of the 222/K as DVR working with USB2.0's limitations compared to the full functionality of the internal HDD models, but that may have rendered the 222/K as a 211 and people would not be able to record more than ONE channel of a 3 tuner STB, and that would have been considered too much of a diminished product when people expect to be able to use those extra tuners to record AND PLAYBACK at the same time. Dish probably felt it was better to just let promise of 222/K DVR functionality DIE than deal with the wrath of folks on this forum and the rest of the public finding they can only record ONE channel at a time.

OK, why did Dish still only provide and seem to stubbornly stay with ONLY USB2.0 for so long when EVERYone else had also included an eSATA port? Because USB2.0 was/is ubiquitous, and (Charlie loves this part) CHEAP! The cost per box for eSATA has probably come down quite a bit from years ago, and Dish may have felt they had to put an eSATA port on the Hopper to keep it somewhat future proof, to some degree as USB3.0 is here today. But at least the Hopper's eSATA port provides more opportunities for some really decent use for something should Dish ever activate it.

Last edited:
Agree with everything DishSubLA said, except I think it's 3 streams for the 211 DVR Conversion disk (2 record, 1 playback), while it's 3 record (not counting DishOnline), and 2 playback for the 622/722 and potentially for the 222 conversion, while it would be 4 recording streams (not counting DishOnline) and 2 playback for the 722k/222k w/OTA module.

What's so good about DirecTV's eSATA? It's only used to substitute an external drive for the internal one. Maybe to make up for their smaller internal drives?

What's so good about DirecTV's eSATA? It's only used to substitute an external drive for the internal one. Maybe to make up for their smaller internal drives?

Right, I believe so. This could be why DirecTV decided to go with a 1TB internal HDD for the Genie. DirecTV's implementation of the external HDD is to add more recording space, not as archival, like Dish. I can say for certain this is how TiVo uses its external HDD feature. It adds more recording capacity beyond the internal HDD. Although a lot of TiVo owners prefer to just change-out the internal HDD for a much larger one a their own expense (not much if you DYI and one LESS point of failure and no additional electrical outlet requried: it's the more elegant solution than an external HDD), but VERY easy to do or to send out the unit to have a place like Weeknees/DVR Upgrade do it for you (costs more because you're paying for a service, as well), there are still quite a number of TiVo users who just plug in the external HDD to increase capacity. Some have reported many years of reliable use until the time comes when ALL HDD's die.

While it is great that people can increase recording capacity to an DVR, I do prefer Dish's Archival implementation for external HDD. It allow me to SAVE a lot of recordings and watch them when I am ready because I have FAR more than 2 TB of programming. I am now able to watch a lot of it now that my schedule has changed. It was great watching something I couldn't watch for a year, and it isn't on the internal HDD that can FAIL far sooner. I do think Dish's is the best external HDD solution.

Right, I believe so. This could be why DirecTV decided to go with a 1TB internal HDD for the Genie. DirecTV's implementation of the external HDD is to add more recording space, not as archival, like Dish. I can say for certain this is how TiVo uses its external HDD feature. It adds more recording capacity beyond the internal HDD. Although a lot of TiVo owners prefer to just change-out the internal HDD for a much larger one a their own expense (not much if you DYI and one LESS point of failure and no additional electrical outlet requried: it's the more elegant solution than an external HDD), but VERY easy to do or to send out the unit to have a place like Weeknees/DVR Upgrade do it for you (costs more because you're paying for a service, as well), there are still quite a number of TiVo users who just plug in the external HDD to increase capacity. Some have reported many years of reliable use until the time comes when ALL HDD's die.

While it is great that people can increase recording capacity to an DVR, I do prefer Dish's Archival implementation for external HDD. It allow me to SAVE a lot of recordings and watch them when I am ready because I have FAR more than 2 TB of programming. I am now able to watch a lot of it now that my schedule has changed. It was great watching something I couldn't watch for a year, and it isn't on the internal HDD that can FAIL far sooner. I do think Dish's is the best external HDD solution.

Agree 100%. Who cares how fast or slow it is, it's still a far superior method IMHO. As for the 222 situation, want a dual tuner DVR? Then get a real dual tuner DVR. 211 makes sense for EHD support as there is no (modern) single-tuner DVR alternative.

Agree 100%. Who cares how fast or slow it is, it's still a far superior method IMHO. As for the 222 situation, want a dual tuner DVR? Then get a real dual tuner DVR. 211 makes sense for EHD support as there is no (modern) single-tuner DVR alternative.

I like the 211 solution and that Dish has a variety to fit each household.

I'm a fairly new Hopper owner but have an unused eSATA drive lying around the house. Does anyone know if the eSATA port on the Hopper is active? I read earlier in this thread that it might be in a future software update. If the eSATA port is not active, has anyone tried using an eSATA-to-USB adapter and plugging the drive into one of the Hopper's USB ports? Will this work? Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

I thought it was for future NSA use. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I just tried to connect an eSATA drive to my Hopper with Sling only to discover that it doesn't work. I wish I had found this thread first instead of wasting 30 minutes on a chat with a support rep that didn't even know you could attach an external drive. I simply assumed the eSATA port would work because it was there.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to enable this port anytime soon? I know USB works, but the transfers would be so much faster over eSATA (in theory).

I just tried to connect an eSATA drive to my Hopper with Sling only to discover that it doesn't work. I wish I had found this thread first instead of wasting 30 minutes on a chat with a support rep that didn't even know you could attach an external drive. I simply assumed the eSATA port would work because it was there.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to enable this port anytime soon? I know USB works, but the transfers would be so much faster over eSATA (in theory).

Assumed. Welcome to Dish! I'm a happy customer, really. Just accommodating the quirks.

No plans "soon" and maybe never. The 721 had a USB port that was never really used. And there are other examples. In theory, yes, USB 3 and eSATA could be faster, but I vaguely recall a post here demonstrating that in fact there may not be much more speed to be had. But that was before the faster speed of HWS, so maybe that's changed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)