Hopper 2K S423 Joey S362 Software Update

oldengineer

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
May 14, 2011
Lower Macungie Township, PA
Got most of it this AM. One Hopper has Joey available SW still at 358. Joeys haven't updated yet.

Visible new features are a different info screen and improved CC. I use CC a lot and it seems to work better. Transparent background now seems to work without jumbling lines like it used to and there is a preview screen. I'm trying a long transfer from the EHD and will report, hopefully, that it's fixed. I'm moving 7 or shows and it started out at 1h 41m and quickly dropped to 1h 9m and is proceeding.

One Hopper still shows available Joey SW as 358 451 instead of 362 so I'm bot sure about that. I've got 1 joey linked to each so I'll check later.

The transfer is down to 58m.

The long EHD transfer to the Hopper was successful. The Joey updates finished OK. So far, so good.

I also notice that response to key pushes doesn't seem to lag after startup. Maybe that was fixed.

Saw that I got it this morning. I didn't have time to play with it. It said the closed caption options were expanded. Whoopee.

First Bug - the new preview screen for CC freezes, but CC itself is still OK. Still no line jumbling with transparent background. I like that part. Also several font sizes and types are available.

How did you get it to freeze? I tried it on my Hopper and my Hopper with Sling and the text in the preview box updates each time I make a change.

I tried about 5 different setups. It froze with cyan, normal size fonts, and transparent background. Now the preview box stays cyan, etc, but changes do show up on the screen.

I had mine sort of freeze on the Info screen today. It didn't really freeze, because I could move between the "Watch" button and the suggestions it gave me, but I couldn't select anything and couldn't exit out of the screen. After probably 45 seconds it finally closed.

First Bug - the new preview screen for CC freezes, but CC itself is still OK. Still no line jumbling with transparent background. I like that part. Also several font sizes and types are available.

Good news - the preview window for CC works again after a reset. Bad news - the reset was because the Apps subscreen froze. Win some, lose some

I'm pleased so far with the changes. The search screen is much faster than before although there are a few issues I'd still like to see addressed.
1) When selecting an event with multiple showings, cancel should return you to the same place in the list. Currently it always returns to the top of the list. Scrolling back down the list gets old very fast.
2) The Info preview window needs to show info when there are multiple showings of movies since it is currently blank. I'm guessing this was done for TV series where info refers to different episodes but this doesn't apply to movies.
3) I'm not sure what the skip back button does when in the search filter but when I hit it the UI locked up for about a minute. Perhaps it was some sort of refresh but it should have displayed some sort of indicator.

I see the skip forward and back indicators have changed to show 30s instead of 30 sec. I also see it adds up multiple presses of the button so pressing skip forward four times shows 2m which I liked!

The show recommendation links in the info window look interesting. I haven't used them too much yet but they could be helpful in discovering other shows.

Thanks for the update, Dish. Please add my missed issues to your next update. ^_^

One of my Hoppers just died. :mad: Sound became erratic, changed channels once, OK. Then it stopped responding to the remote. Power and RB resets go thru 3 screens but screen goes black shortly after showing 1280X720 display and stays that way. Darn, I had 150 recordings on that box. It'll be 2 in March. If I have to call Dish I'm gonna try to get it replaced with an HWS with no contract extension. I hope this wasn't an S423 thing. It was a very reliable box prior to yesterday.

My Hopper with Sling and Joey didn't get nothing yet maybe tonight but will patiently wait for it to come soon!! :)

Last edited:
Didn't get it here yet maybe tonight but will patiently wait for it to come soon!! :)

Same for me. The Hopper w/Sling got its update last night but the regular Hopper still is at the prior version. But not too excited as the update really seems to be cosmetic, at least for me. I believe there may be some fixes to EHD and OTA issues which affected others, but I don't mess around with the external drive much and do not use any over-the-air stuff. Happy for those people at least. Guess I'll still have to sit in the weeds until Dish learns to focus more on problem fixing rather than trying the wiz-bang stuff.

:facepalm

Years ago in my old house I had Directv with to DVR's. They came out with a update that allowed me to see both DVR's on either machine. Each DVR recordings were in a different color so you knew which machine you were watching. Speed ahead 5 years and the Hopper can't even preform this simple function.

Since updates are done by serial number and I'm replacing one of the originals with, hopefully, a new one what are the problems with having skewed update days?

Well, most of the time I don't have any issues. Three of my Hoppers get the updates almost on day one, and the other one gets the update 5 or so days later. For the most part it hasn't been a problem. Maybe the occasional WHDVR glitch. So far everything's working OK, with two HwSs with S334, one H2k with S419, the other with S423, Joey on S362. One time my Joey got an update before the H2k did, and it had some pretty bad glitching, but within a week or so everything was updated and OK.

Funny thing is the H2k that gets the updates last is actually the oldest Hopper. Two were purchased later on and the other H2k was upgraded to the HwS. The H2k that was replaced also got the updates 5 days later. Seems like purchased Hoppers get the updates first, but it could just be coincidence. One of my purchased HwSs has a really low serial number, as if it were one of the very first HwSs made.

Years ago in my old house I had Directv with to DVR's. They came out with a update that allowed me to see both DVR's on either machine. Each DVR recordings were in a different color so you knew which machine you were watching. Speed ahead 5 years and the Hopper can't even preform this simple function.

That's about the only thing the DirecTV DVRs have over the Hopper.

Hopper has more :-

-Speed
-Storage
-Features
-Modularity

Last edited:
I don't know if this is new or if I just hadn't noticed it in older versions, but rapid presses (or maybe holding down) of the 30 skip forward key increase the amount skipped:

30 sc. then 1m then 1m. 30sc.

Gets you through commercial breaks in two or three presses. I'm not sure if this was really needed, the response time of the 30 sec. presses is so instant that I can't imagine it making it that much better. But I'm sure once I get used to I won't want to go back.

Or maybe it's just be totaling the complete amount of time skipped.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts