ESPN: 720p or 1080i? Wilt, please answer.

pager94 said:
PLEASE LEAVE ESPN AT 1080i

Those incompetents at espn should have made it 1080i. However, Voom has the inteligence to get it up to 1080i from 720p. 720p is not high definition it is DVD quality not true HD neither is FOX's 480p.. what is wrong with these people.. advertising HD with 720p and 480p neither is remotely the quality of 1080i. Voom PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE leave ESPN at 1080i

Listen 720p and 1080i are considered "true high definition", 720p is twice the resolution of 480 and in progressive scan which is good for sports. You have no idea what you are talking about regarding 720p, it is definately the resolution of choice for SPORTS.. now movies and shows that are normally at what, 24 fps? Those don't really benefit from the fast refresh speeds 720p can offer, so having more resolution is the better option. Have you watched NFL games on CBS in 1080i and games on ABC in 720p? You can see the advantages to both formats, now if you're TV can't do 720p it's ok, Voom's box up or down converts to different signals.

pager94 you really need to do some more reading. 1080I and 720P are both HD as was said. The reason ESPN and a few others choose 720P was because of fast action. In 1080I with interlace you get a strobe affect in fast action. 720 you do not. I am not saying one is better than another. Both have advantages but both are HD. You are not gaining anything by VOOM up converting to 1080I since ESPN delivers it in 720P. Now 1080P will be a different story. That will be the clear winner. However, although there are 1080P sets out, there is no material for them unless you hook up to computer and download once of Microsoft's movies in WM9.

Cost and bandwith is a problem now. 1080P will put more demands on OTA, satellite and cable.

oops

O.K. Sorry guys.

It just seemed to me that seeing NBA games for example the recent wester conference finals in 1080i, on TNT-HD was far supperior in picture quality (it was almost like you were sitting next to Jack Nicholson on the court) compared to ESPN-HD in 720p. While the ESPN HD (720p) coverage was better than SD it did not appear to me personally nearly as sharp as the 1080i coverage. I was with D-->TV at the time and there were MANY MANY MANY complaints by customers on forums that ESPN-HD (720p) had a lot to be desired due to their choice with going over 1080i. The real key is people you WILL, I guarentee it seen a significant decrease in picture quality and sharpness when Voom downgrades the ESPN-HD channel to 720p. And there will be complaints on here when it happens. Why do I know, I had ESPN-HD with D-->TV which was certainly showning ESPN-HD in 720p and there was alot to be desired.

[VOOM] Re: ESPN: 720p or 1080i? Wilt, please answer.

Sigh...

I guess we will continue to see messages like this as long as the
older crt based rear projection tv's are around.

--- In VOOM@yahoogroups.com, pager94 <pager94.1bm4g8@n...> wrote:
>
> O.K. Sorry guys.
>
> It just seemed to me that seeing NBA games for example the recent
> wester conference finals in 1080i, on TNT-HD was far supperior in
> picture quality (it was almost like you were sitting next to Jack
> Nicholson on the court) compared to ESPN-HD in 720p. While the ESPN

HD
> (720p) coverage was better than SD it did not appear to me

personally
> nearly as sharp as the 1080i coverage. I was with D-->TV at the

time
> and there were MANY MANY MANY complaints by customers on forums that
> ESPN-HD (720p) had a lot to be desired due to their choice with

going
> over 1080i. The real key is people you WILL, I guarentee it seen a
> significant decrease in picture quality and sharpness when Voom
> downgrades the ESPN-HD channel to 720p. And there will be

complaints on
> here when it happens. Why do I know, I had ESPN-HD with D-->TV

which
> was certainly showning ESPN-HD in 720p and there was alot to be
> desired.
>
>
> --
> pager94

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
$9.95 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/EyMolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VOOM/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
VOOM-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Only thing left to add to this discussion is if you have a 1080i display, you would want your programming in 1080i for best results and if you have a 720p display, you would want your programming in 720p for best results and if your display will do both, then you're just waiting for affordable pricing on an 1080p display and lots of available programming for 1080p.... long live HD....

You guys are missing the point. ESPN-HD is taped and transmitted to Voom at 720p. Voom "upconverts" the signal to 1080i. No new lines of resolution are created. Some lines are simply doubled. This process doesn't affect you or harm your enjoyment, because the same thing is on your screen (though I would hope Voom's engineering scaler is better than the STBs). For those of you with 1080i sets, you either have your TV or STB doing the scaling for you with 720p sources. Likewise, showing ESPN-HD in its intended format will not hurt owners of 1080i sets.

Voom is removing the core benefit of 720p when it "upconverts" it to 1080i. For those of us with native 720p sets, there is a loss of quality.

That is why I am asking Wilt when the switch back to 720p will be made. I guess he's on vacation or something.