SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
is this new for the world cup? I hope it stays for college football season

the alt channels have been there, but not in HD

the alt channels have been there, but not in HD

Right, are they in HD now ?

edit:

I see that 210 is available in HD, but looks like the other one is not from what the guide says.

I'll have to check these out when the Tigers are on ESPN next time.

ESPN rarely shows actual alternate baseball games. Back in the day ESPN always had an alternate game on weeknights. If say the main game was Tigers @ Twins, people in those two areas got, say, Mets @ Dodgers. But here was the good part, most people got BOTH games. It was never publicised, but you got twice as much ESPN baseball as cable.

Now ESPN just carries ESPNews as its blackout material. The big issue is the "reverse mirror" of the Big 10 games.

ESPN rarely shows actual alternate baseball games. Back in the day ESPN always had an alternate game on weeknights. If say the main game was Tigers @ Twins, people in those two areas got, say, Mets @ Dodgers. But here was the good part, most people got BOTH games. It was never publicised, but you got twice as much ESPN baseball as cable.

Now ESPN just carries ESPNews as its blackout material. The big issue is the "reverse mirror" of the Big 10 games.

Reverse Mirroring ?

Reverse Mirroring ?

Reverse mirror:

ABC carries a regional slate of games in the 3:30 ET time slot. Generally one game from each of the True Major conferences which ABC has rights to (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10). Each ABC station carries the game of local interest.

Now ESPN will carry two games. The Big 10 game on 206 (in HD) and one of the other 3 on 210 (in SD only). If ABC in an area is carrying the Big 10 game, then 206 will be blacked out and 210 opened up. If ABC is carrying one of the other 3, then 210 will be blacked out and 206 will be open, with the Big 10 game.

This is part of the Big 10 contract, insuring national access to the Big 10's #1 game of the week.

Hopefully ESPN will keep the HD feed for this reverse mirroring. Since I often get the Big 10 game on ABC, I often have to watch the other game on 210 in SD.

SamCdbs said:
Reverse mirror:

ABC carries a regional slate of games in the 3:30 ET time slot. Generally one game from each of the True Major conferences which ABC has rights to (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10). Each ABC station carries the game of local interest.

Now ESPN will carry two games. The Big 10 game on 206 (in HD) and one of the other 3 on 210 (in SD only). If ABC in an area is carrying the Big 10 game, then 206 will be blacked out and 210 opened up. If ABC is carrying one of the other 3, then 210 will be blacked out and 206 will be open, with the Big 10 game.

This is part of the Big 10 contract, insuring national access to the Big 10's #1 game of the week.

Hopefully ESPN will keep the HD feed for this reverse mirroring. Since I often get the Big 10 game on ABC, I often have to watch the other game on 210 in SD.

I wonder if it will be permanent because they now have the space with D12 and fully functioning D10. As others have said I hope it stays for college football and Espn Game plan goes HD as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts