ESPN and TBS can't get blackout zip codes right.

JTBenson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
According to this map, I live only in Kansas City Royals territory (St. Joseph, MO which is about an hour northwest of KC).

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/tools/med/2006/06/ipt/1150742098.jpg

However, TBS and ESPN black me out of every single St. Louis Cardinals game claiming that I live in the Cardinals territory. When I have told ESPN about it, they state that I should be blacked out because I can watch the games on Fox Sports Midwest. When I tell Fox Sports Midwest, they tell me that I don't live in the Cardinals territory. The Cardinals just tell me that it is MLB that assigns the territories and MLB just gives me the run around. I ask Dish Network to intervene and they tell me that they just apply the rules (which is true, but they could go the extra mile for a customer).

Has anyone else experienced something like this? I have been trying to get this changed for 4 years and no one is listening to me. Why would FSMW be using a different set of zip codes than TBS and ESPN? Shouldn't they be using the exact same list?

Does anyone have any advice for me?

According to this map, I live only in Kansas City Royals territory (St. Joseph, MO which is about an hour northwest of KC).

However, TBS and ESPN black me out of every single St. Louis Cardinals game claiming that I live in the Cardinals territory. When I have told ESPN about it, they state that I should be blacked out because I can watch the games on Fox Sports Midwest. When I tell Fox Sports Midwest, they tell me that I don't live in the Cardinals territory. The Cardinals just tell me that it is MLB that assigns the territories and MLB just gives me the run around. I ask Dish Network to intervene and they tell me that they just apply the rules (which is true, but they could go the extra mile for a customer).

Has anyone else experienced something like this? I have been trying to get this changed for 4 years and no one is listening to me. Why would FSMW be using a different set of zip codes than TBS and ESPN? Shouldn't they be using the exact same list?

Yeah...move!!!...;)

Well someone is wrong. I suggest contacting MLB directly and ask them what territory you reside in, and then pick your fight with whichever company is mistaken. Of course, if you are in an STL market, you won't be able to see most of the games on the national feed channel ( with the exception of saturday fox games I believe).

checking the Directv site he only qualifies for the Royals games (and the Blues) so he is in the KC market for baseball

so he should not be blacked out of Cards games on national TV networks...FSN midwest yes but not ESPN or TBS

A few years back I had a zipcode issue as well .... I spoke with the FSN and found that the Team designates the areas they claim.

They also update thier territories every year, sometime more than once.
I had gotten the Tigers the year before but not this year ... Turns out the FSN had omitted my zip code when they were given the new listings, the local guy at the FSN made a few calls and I had it resolved in about a week.

I had a similar issue with Comcast Cable back in 1999.They told me all Philadelphia teams claim my zipcode,so all Philly Sports must be blacked out and they did that no matter what channel they were on.But they could NOT offer me Comcast Sportsnet because I was not in any of their teams areas. WTF ? So I went to DirecTv and get all Philadelphia sports on any teams' RSN with NO problems.But I do get blacked out 100% of the time on the NHLN with their expanded blackouts.And Comcast owns them I believe.

I had a similar issue with Comcast Cable back in 1999.They told me all Philadelphia teams claim my zipcode,so all Philly Sports must be blacked out and they did that no matter what channel they were on.But they could NOT offer me Comcast Sportsnet because I was not in any of their teams areas. WTF ? So I went to DirecTv and get all Philadelphia sports on any teams' RSN with NO problems.But I do get blacked out 100% of the time on the NHLN with their expanded blackouts.And Comcast owns them I believe.

Comcast owns who ?

Not the NHL Network.

Comcast owns who ?

Not the NHL Network.

they partially own them

The Candian version is owned by the National Hockey League, CTV Specialty Television Inc. and Insight Sports Ltd..

the US version is owned by the NHL and Comcast
the American version of NHL Network has been in development as a joint venture between the NHL and Comcas
oth Comcast and the NHL had an option to end their contract after the 2006–07 season, which would have voided Comcast's obligation to launch a U.S. version of NHL Network, but opted to proceed with the launch.

they partially own them

The Candian version is owned by the National Hockey League, CTV Specialty Television Inc. and Insight Sports Ltd..

the US version is owned by the NHL and Comcast

You've GOT to be kidding me .....
The NHL doesn't own themselves ?
COMCAST actually owns them , good grief .......

So is THAT why the Flyers made it to the finals ?
A low 7-8 seed ......

Yeah...move!!!...;)

Moving messes up other things. I still want to get my local channels (coming Thursday). And I frankly don't want to mess with moving back if I have a service call.

And I want to fix this instead of running from it because it doesn't just affect me. It affects everyone who lives here (and since we will now be able to get locals on Dish starting Thursday, many more will be buying a Dish) and most are not as knowledgeable about it and don't know what to do.

You've GOT to be kidding me .....
The NHL doesn't own themselves ?
COMCAST actually owns them , good grief .......

JImbo
The only one of the 4 "________ Network" that is owned by the league is the NFL Network
NBA is partially owned by Time Warner
MLB is owned by MLB, D*, and some cable companies

IIRC the agremment was for the NHL to have Comcast start up the channel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)