ESPN and the SEC Network

www.secsports.com - ESPN Regional TV and SEC Introduce 'SEC Network'

Should be a GREAT year for SEC fans and TV coverage. Finally getting more details on the deal.
This link gives the stations that these regional coverages will be on. Looks like most are the same channels that carried the Raycom feeds. I hope we can still get the HD version!

We were already getting ALOT of SEC coverage on CBS down here in Miami....AND in HD. I don't think it will be a big issue or change in the southeastern US area.

"In markets outside the SEC footprint, the syndicated programming will air on either local, over-the-air television stations or regional sports cable networks."

Does this mean it SEC games will not be blacked out on FSN stations out of the SEC footprint?

We were already getting ALOT of SEC coverage on CBS down here in Miami....AND in HD. I don't think it will be a big issue or change in the southeastern US area.
We are as well, I simply mean we all lost the HD Raycom coverage that we just got last season by getting the ESPN deal. My point was I HOPE that the games on the SEC network that are on those same OTA channels turn out to be HD feeds as well.

We will already be picking up many games that we would not normally see, or would have to pay PPV charges for.

I also disagree about it being a big change. For your bigger schools, you are probably right. I saw every alabama game last year on TV.

For teams like Ole Miss, or Vandy, State, ect, this will mean ALOT more tv coverage for them.

I never got any of the Raycom games in HD, because they don't have my locals on Directv in HD yet. They will in Sept though. Finally see my Wildcats in HD more often than the Louisville game.

With WPCH (Peachtree TV) being the Atlanta affiliate of the SEC Network, Canadians can now see how real football is played. :D

Ironically, WPCH on Bell is the only way I'll see it, since there's no SEC affiliate in this area of PA.

I never got any of the Raycom games in HD, because they don't have my locals on Directv in HD yet. They will in Sept though. Finally see my Wildcats in HD more often than the Louisville game.
I had to get mine in HD OTA.

This is a similar setup to the "Big East Network" with ESPN Regional TV, and it works pretty well, IMHO.

The interesting part is that, up until now, ESPN Regional TV hasn't done ANYTHING in HD, so it begs to say: are there going to be more disapointed HD-heads in the southeast, come Fall?

We are as well, I simply mean we all lost the HD Raycom coverage that we just got last season by getting the ESPN deal. My point was I HOPE that the games on the SEC network that are on those same OTA channels turn out to be HD feeds as well.

We will already be picking up many games that we would not normally see, or would have to pay PPV charges for.

I also disagree about it being a big change. For your bigger schools, you are probably right. I saw every alabama game last year on TV.

For teams like Ole Miss, or Vandy, State, ect, this will mean ALOT more tv coverage for them.

i think there were 3 Bama game not on OTA or cable (though there is always PPV). I'm not sure what the difference is going to be for SEC games, seems like a 1 to 1 switch, Raycom for ESPN (unless, like you said, we lose the HD feeds)

i think there were 3 Bama game not on OTA or cable (though there is always PPV). I'm not sure what the difference is going to be for SEC games, seems like a 1 to 1 switch, Raycom for ESPN (unless, like you said, we lose the HD feeds)
For bama fans there should not be a huge difference except maybe 2 of the three that would be ppv will now be on one of the ESPN networks. So a cost savings for us is how I see it.

The big advantage is for some of the other teams I mentioned above. They will get far more coverage.

This is a similar setup to the "Big East Network" with ESPN Regional TV, and it works pretty well, IMHO.

The interesting part is that, up until now, ESPN Regional TV hasn't done ANYTHING in HD, so it begs to say: are there going to be more disapointed HD-heads in the southeast, come Fall?
That is what I am wondering. When ESPNU HD gets to us sat customers, I would imagine that will help on those games that are shown there.
There will also be more games on the 2 main networks though, so we will pick up some HD games there, or should

Same here. UConn in on the U in September (at least), but it's a home game, so no big problem on my end :)

Good deal for me in Ohio. I get both WSTR Cincinnati and WRGT Dayton both in OTA HD. Combine those with my local CBS HD through D* and I'll be up to my arse in SEC games each week. Hopefully LSU will be worth a damn this year so I'll get to see them more often than not.

I'm sorry but CSS is a worthless channel. Not only do DirecTV and DISH not carry it, almost no cable system other than its Comcast and Charter owners carry it. It consists of some 7th choice SEC material, a few CUSA games and garbage.

As to "SEC Network", other than a pre-game show, this is the exact same as last year under J-P. Its not a real "network" like The Mountain or Big 10 Network.

This is no different than the "Big Ten Network" it's a regional network that happens to be brought to you by ESPN.
The BTN at least has thier own channel.

I was going to ask how this affects the already going contract with the Big Ten , but seeing this is a regional set up, probably doesn't do anything with it.

This will be a secandary ESPN network, you probably won't be finding the SEC games on the ESPN Mothership, unless it's the BIG game of the week.

I find this being no different than normal with the regular ESPN programming.

That said, I'm glad the SEC has it's own network now, I think other conferences will be following as well.

Jimbo

This is no different than the "Big Ten Network" it's a regional network that happens to be brought to you by ESPN.
The BTN at least has thier own channel.

I was going to ask how this affects the already going contract with the Big Ten , but seeing this is a regional set up, probably doesn't do anything with it.

This will be a secandary ESPN network, you probably won't be finding the SEC games on the ESPN Mothership, unless it's the BIG game of the week.

I find this being no different than normal with the regular ESPN programming.

That said, I'm glad the SEC has it's own network now, I think other conferences will be following as well.

Jimbo
As far as these games go, you are correct. They will be on the OTA channels only (from what I understand).

However, there will be a significant increase in SEC games in most sports carried by the two main ESPN channels and ESPNU, in addition to a slight increase in games carried on CBS.