ESPN: Positives and Negatives

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
conn.
On the board, Ive noticed some positive and negative feedback for ESPN. Now what are some of the positives and negatives about ESPN? What would you change about it? Is there anything you would change about it? Do you think ESPN "jumped the shark"?

I love ESPN - only thing I don't like is them talking about football and other sports news during a game when they have a news channel.

Well one last thing - NO ESPNU IN HD ON DISH NETWORK!!!!!!! :rant::rant:

Things like the "decision" are what espn needs to stay away from.sometimes I'm not sure if I'm watching espn or the crappy channel E!

Sportscenter use to be good. Then they decided to put so much crap on the screen its not worth watching.
the hosts on SC and their stupid phrases.

Honestly unless its PTI, a 30 for 30 that sounds good or a live game I can't find the free to air feed ESPN doesnt get turned on in the house

ATH, PTI are must see for me. Sports center is good with Mike and Mike, otherwise very hit and miss, and of course like Mike and Mike in the Morning. 30 for 30 and outside the lines are good. As much as I am not a Bryant Gumbel fan, his show is usaully good. Not too much else. With ATH and PTI on SiriusXm, I would not be too upset to see ESPN go if they charge too much.

ATH, PTI are must see for me. Sports center is good with Mike and Mike, otherwise very hit and miss, and of course like Mike and Mike in the Morning. 30 for 30 and outside the lines are good. As much as I am not a Bryant Gumbel fan, his show is usaully good. Not too much else.
You had me agreeing with you until the BG statement. Can't stand him. Plus, he's not on ESPN... ;)

I think ESPN does a great job with their NCAA basketball and football game coverage, as well as most of their pre-game and halftime shows.

As for the NFL coverage, I like NFL32. Most of the other NFL shows just start to sound alike after a while.

The bonus they provide is the ESPN3 / WatchESPN mobile programming, if you can get it. I toured the data center there a couple years ago when they ramped it up and there is a lot of room for growth there....

Love PTI. Hate the busy screen for SC and don't watch anymore. The full time score ticker has to go. Let me see my tv screen, not your scrolling news and overly large score boxes.

Positives:

Sports, sports, sports, sports.

Negatives:

- Lazy sports talkers. The easiest thing in the world to talk about is the NBA. Which is why its cadre of talking heads spend a grossly disproportional amount of time on it. Talking baseball is 1000 times harder, football at least 500.

- Corporate bias. If a sport or conference is not on ESPN, its gets less coverage on what is supposed to be a news service. (CUSA, MWC, NHL, etc).

- Hype of non-events. Espys, X-games, etc.

- Bottom line stupidity. People the World Series is not on "ESPN Radio", OK. Either admit its on Fox, or don't list it at all.

Biggest issue I have with ESPN is the stupid tickers ...

There was a time that the Ticker only showed at the top and bottom of the hour, that was great.
Then espn2 came around and the ticker was on constantly, and thats OK for that channel, however with the ESPNews, the Ticker should be there and not on the other channels at least not all the time.

If they did it on the :15 minutes that would be great.

There should be NO Ticker on the main channel outside of the Top and Bottom.

Too much junk on the screens now.

I watch Mike and MIKE and when they moved to the HD studio it was Great, till they blocked the last 1/4 of my screen with BS on the right hand side, that I HATE.

I watch M&M, PTI and sometimes ATH.

NFL32 is very good too.

They have way too much info in the ticker too. They pretty much give the stats for the entire game. I think the ticker should just be the scores and any breaking news.

I think the ticker is a little distracting. I just want to see the game and nothing else. If anything, I'll go to espn.com or twitter or the espn app etc. if something happens.

The thing I hate the most is there continuing to hype everything that is on their channels as the only sports available. Most of us are huge sports fans and aware of what is on other networks. Their self promotion is unbearable at times. I also hate the ticker. I have yet to understand how BREAKING NEWS can still be BREAKING NEWS 6 hours after it is first announced. Having said that, because I care so much about sports, ESPN is still my number 1 choice when it comes to watching TV. They have built a pretty good package and offer what most of us want to see. The Bowl Game schedule proves how well they have cornered the market.

I wish Sportscenter would stop showing the other stuff that they do instead of highlights. They can do their other stuff in some special show.

Iceberg said:
Sportscenter use to be good. Then they decided to put so much crap on the screen its not worth watching.
the hosts on SC and their stupid phrases.

Honestly unless its PTI, a 30 for 30 that sounds good or a live game I can't find the free to air feed ESPN doesnt get turned on in the house

I agree, when I was in college in the mid 90's sportcenter was must see tv, today not so much