ESPN Sucks...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Sorry, needed to get that off my chest.

Now that they've locked up so much College Football, and NFL, ya think they'd do a little better job to offer consistent HD PQ, but NOPE.

Every year, at the beginning of Fball season, I hope itll be different, and it's not. Tonights game was pretty mediocre too. What I always like, is on a Saturday halftime show, or while showing NFL highlights, the replays will have better PQ than what ESPN offers on their broadcasts. That should tell you who's got issues, and who doesnt...

Now that they've locked up so much College Football, and NFL, ya think they'd do a little better job to offer consistent HD PQ, but NOPE.

Every year, at the beginning of Fball season, I hope itll be different, and it's not. Tonights game was pretty mediocre too. What I always like, is on a Saturday halftime show, or while showing NFL highlights, the replays will have better PQ than what ESPN offers on their broadcasts. That should tell you who's got issues, and who doesnt...

I don't have an issue. I was at my friends house with Directv and his also like fine. He has a much nicer tv in a Samsung Plasma and Pansonic Viera.

I agree elway. Out of all of the sports channels, HD PQ on ESPN is near the bottom every time.

Yeah, I see where folks so "looks fine here", so Im just guessing they arent quite as picky. In all the HD content I watch, ESPN, NBC Sports, and a few others are always gonna look sub par.

NFL network, Big Ten, and my local RSN's HD looks better than ESPN. Ive got a plenty nice tv, has nothing to do with it either. Maybe their compression is not as bad for folks in the 42-50" range, I dunno, but it just does not look as good as other channels, and IMO, it should.

To me, ESPN's PQ is hit or miss, probably depending on the site hardware. I've watched one college FB game that was soft, the one following it was superb.

A prime example was ESPN2's coverage of the U.S. Open final win by Nadal last night that I went to during commericals in the Jets game. CBS equipment and graphics were used and it was some of the best PQ I've seen on the ESP* channels....

To me, ESPN's PQ is hit or miss, probably depending on the site hardware. I've watched one college FB game that was soft, the one following it was superb.

A prime example was ESPN2's coverage of the U.S. Open final win by Nadal last night that I went to during commericals in the Jets game. CBS equipment and graphics were used and it was some of the best PQ I've seen on the ESP* channels....

Very good point Cosmo.

Chances are ESPN may rent thier equipment seeing they are all over the country.
I don't KNOW if thats the case, but it would make sense.

Sometime ESPN looks Fantastic, other times not.

The only time I hate watch my fp for anything is sports on ESPN. PQ sux and has always suxed.

I have had three providers and nothing has changed. I see where people post the same problem that have FiOS (the king of pq providers).

You would think ESPN would TRY to address the problem. Maybe the big wigs at ESPN don't even have HD at their home. It is not hard to miss. Who knows.

I did not see the Chiefs game, but the Ravens good coulda looked better. I do agree on equipment, because the 230 game can look good, and the 6pm game will look bad, or vice versa.

IMO, as much money as they have, and as much sports as they've locked up, ALL the games should look good.

I did not see the Chiefs game, but the Ravens good coulda looked better. I do agree on equipment, because the 230 game can look good, and the 6pm game will look bad, or vice versa.

IMO, as much money as they have, and as much sports as they've locked up, ALL the games should look good.

They do look good, just no GREAT or STUNNING like HD did when we first saw it.

I will say, still looks better than ND games on NBC. Like Jimbo said, ESPN still looks "good" although there is still vast room for improvement. NBC ND games though, they look horrible IMO. Anyone ever notice the grass on those games?

I will say, still looks better than ND games on NBC. Like Jimbo said, ESPN still looks "good" although there is still vast room for improvement. NBC ND games though, they look horrible IMO. Anyone ever notice the grass on those games?

Can't say I have, but then again, I can't remember the last time I turned a ND game on.

Can't say I have, but then again, I can't remember the last time I turned a ND game on.

I very rarely do, maybe once or twice a year, for a few minutes at a time. I did this weekend, and the field always looks like a blurry blob of green. Same for when NBC does golf.
Looks that way no matter if I use OTA, or sat locals out of a different area.

The PQ looked great on Saturday while I was watching their new ESPN Goalline Channel on TWC.

I think NBC footbal(Sunday Night and ND Games) along with NFL are the subpar. I have seen a few games look poor on ESPN, usually ESPN U or ESPN2. To me CBS has them all beat. The NFL games and SEC game of the week are the best.

So as someone said maybe they have a second tier equipment being used.

Thank god for free to air because if I want to watch a game that ESPN has I can watch it with none of that crap on the screen other than the score

otherwise I dont watch ESPN. If I want MLB hilites its MLB Net...NFL hilites were form NFL Network :)

I think NBC footbal(Sunday Night and ND Games) along with NFL are the subpar. I have seen a few games look poor on ESPN, usually ESPN U or ESPN2. To me CBS has them all beat. The NFL games and SEC game of the week are the best.

So as someone said maybe they have a second tier equipment being used.
I agree with all here, except the NBC comment regarding the NFL. My PQ with NBC's NFL coverage has been superb, both OTA and satellite. Maybe there is an an issue with your affiliate??

I can't speak to the ND coverage though. The only ND game I've watched in the last few years was the loss to UConn last year... :p