ESPN to Debut New Shows on ABC (UPDATED)

Bring back Wide World of Sports. It didn't need to be canceled.
Yes it did. WWOS was only successful when there were 3 TV channels and people would watch anything. You still see the junk that aired in WWOS from time to time like the Strongest Man Competitions on ESPN. The ratings for that stuff are awful even by cable standards. You can't expect a network that depends 100% on ratings to air that anymore.

Yes it did. WWOS was only successful when there were 3 TV channels and people would watch anything. You still see the junk that aired in WWOS from time to time like the Strongest Man Competitions on ESPN. The ratings for that stuff are awful even by cable standards. You can't expect a network that depends 100% on ratings to air that anymore.
Not every show was a hit, but the show that aired from Universal Studios was in the top 20 of the most watched Wide World of Sports Shows ever. And that was during the 1990's. It ranked about 15th if I remember. I know it broke the top 20 and those records went way back . We got the ratings about 2 weeks after the broadcast . It's true that Wide World would never get the ratings from the 1970's today but that could be said of any show today. As a show , it's much better then anything ESPN is putting out. Again, They need to put these back on Networks again, not ESPN .

Last edited:
As a show , it's much better then anything ESPN is putting out. Again, They need to put these back on Networks again, not ESPN .
There's no money in it. Local affilitates would make more money just running infomercials. With all the alternatives for entertainment that exist today nobody's going to sit down on a Sat afternoon and watch cliff diving or arm wrestling. At least ESPN won't go broke airing those events because they get paid as long as you pay your cable bill.

There's no money in it. Local affilitates would make more money just running infomercials. With all the alternatives for entertainment that exist today nobody's going to sit down on a Sat afternoon and watch cliff diving or arm wrestling. At least ESPN won't go broke airing those events because they get paid as long as you pay your cable bill.
I remember thinking back in the day how cool it would be to have all these channels . Now I have more then enough channels with garbage on most of the time. I know it's about money but ESPN has caused more damage to sports programs than any network I know.

Who ever wrote this on MediaWeek.com hit the nail on the head on how much of a joke this is. If ESPN really wanted to give ABC's affiliates some important sports programming, they wouldn't put a lazily thought out two hour block of rehashed programming from ESPN Proper.

• 1. rw6500 comments:
    April 02, 2010
    icon-bluestar.gif
    icon-bluestar.gif
    icon-bluestar.gif
    icon-bluestar.gif
    icon-greystar.gif

This is a very bad idea as it's ESPN's way of dumping leftover or garbage programming to ABC affiliates. IF ESPN was so generous as they say they are, how about giving up the Eastern Conference Finals to ABC for taking all the NASCAR races away? Ever since September 2006, when this "merger" took place, ABC Sports has been so devalued it's not even funny and now ESPN decides to air garbage like this on ABC affiliates on the weekends? I call this dump programming. If I owned an ABC affiliate, I'd say to them thanks but no thanks and will air a movie instead. One thing though...better than airing that drivel "Shark Tank".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts