ESPN upsets some by hiring Brits to call World Cup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TMC1982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
ESPN upsets some by hiring Brits to call World Cup - 2010 World Cup - MarketWatch

Still, one concern is that without U.S. commentators for the World Cup, the broadcasts won’t attract new fans in the U.S. and won’t broaden the appeal of the game. That could be a blow to Major League Soccer, the U.S. league.

“I fear a Brit-only play-by-play crew will feed soccer haters’ stereotypes about the game (too foreign) and the people who watch it (anglophiles),” one reader on ESPN’s soccer Web site wrote after the announcement. “I’d prefer for the game to catch on more w/ casual Americans so more kids pick up the sport and our player pool deepens.” — Alistair Barr

As long as the commentators don't have really thick accents and I can understand them, I could care less about their nationality

Considering that the only English speaking people in the US that even care about the World Cup are from England anyway, I don't see a problem with this. :p

I love to hear soccer fans delusional claims of what would make soccer popular in this country. If only there were a pro league in the US. If only there were games on TV. If only we had an international superstar like David Beckham play here. If only we had American commentators on the World Cup.

I love to hear soccer fans delusional claims of what would make soccer popular in this country. If only there were a pro league in the US. If only there were games on TV. If only we had an international superstar like David Beckham play here. If only we had American commentators on the World Cup.
:D

Soccer has been the sport of the next generation. Three generations and counting.

Soccer remains what it is and what it always will be. A micro-niche sport mostly followed by expatriots and immigrants who have not been fully intergrated into the broader American society (which, history teaches us, their children and grandchildren will be, and will thus love the NFL). In English, having British commentators is logical, since the majority of the audience will be British.

Soccer fans run a tight and self-contradictory path, as anders5189 points out always saying the sport is just on the verge of breaking though if only whatever happens on the one hand (no pun intended) and then in their condecending attitutde towards those who see through the "emperor's new clothes" of the inner beauty of the game spew and realize this is a simplistic game born in simpler places, which will never be accepted in the USA or Canada.

Way to go, start a topic about soccer so now that anybody who can't stand the sport can't just overlook it without putting their two cents worth in.

I love "Futbol" and really don't give a ratz kazoo if those that do not follow the game don't watch. I watch it FOR ME, not to make fun of haters who don't or watch to spite them.:cool:

What I find most interesting here is that the moment a soccer thread is opened....the haters come out and bitch and moan how much how it won't catch in the US, how boring it is...

...they always put down what they do not understand.:rolleyes:

...and yet you rarely see soccer fans complain about american football.;)

I love "Futbol" and really don't give a ratz kazoo if those that do not follow the game don't watch. I watch it FOR ME, not to make fun of haters who don't or watch to spite them.:cool:

What I find most interesting here is that the moment a soccer thread is opened....the haters come out and bitch and moan how much how it won't catch in the US, how boring it is...

Soccer fans are way too sensitive. We are just joking around.

Excellent point. I don't jump into the NASCAR thread every day to tell everyone about how I think NASCAR is the stupidest thing out there. A bunch of good 'ol Southern boy wanna-be's with bad teeth watching a bunch of non-athletes drive cars round and round and round a track. Exciting. :rolleyes:

But if people like it enough to have a thread to discuss it, I'll have enough respect to not go into that thread and litter it with my put-downs.

Sandra

I know i will!:up

So will I. I like the spanish anouncers because they are MUCH MORE excited about the sport than their english(and I mean the language) counter parts.

PLUS....the commercials with tons of little clothed women on the spanish channels is 900 times better than boring commercials ESPN puts on.:D:up

Excellent point. I don't jump into the NASCAR thread every day to tell everyone about how I think NASCAR is the stupidest thing out there. A bunch of good 'ol Southern boy wanna-be's with bad teeth watching a bunch of non-athletes drive cars round and round and round a track. Exciting. :rolleyes:

But if people like it enough to have a thread to discuss it, I'll have enough respect to not go into that thread and litter it with my put-downs.

Sandra
Great Post! I totally agree.:up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)