ESPN2HD? C'mon Dish!

My next two HD choices would be UniversalHD and StarzHD. But, we really shouldn't have to choose. Bottom line, Dish hasn't added an HD channel in 6 months. Seems they have a bit of space, but I'm afraid they are holding it for 1-Dish locals.

I wish they'd bite the bullet and start putting HD on the Winds or SuperDish.

DirecTV has ESPN2HD?

I read on DBSTalk.com that ESPN2HD launches today.

Hello Dish....FOX, NBC, ABC, Universal & ESPN2HD. They're giving a heck of a lot more HD for nearly the same price.

They can't get their 921 working right. Prices are soon to be comparable to DTV.

Time's a ticking before I dump dish.

I'm probably in the same boat.

E* is dropping the HD ball. They might be waiting to announce the 61.5 acquisition, but it's going to cost them subs if they wait too much longer.

Yup E* is a dead HD company, really sad. I really don't think I'll be hanging around for a whole year of nothing.

I'll give them until the MPEG-4 implementation. If the receiver change isn't reasonable and new HD channels aren't added as the MPEG-4 frees up bandwidth, I'm gone.

Hey, guys, give up. DISH people, while demoing the 942 at CES said flat out there was NO new HD programming planned - at least not before the 4th quarter. Most of us there at the booth atthat particular time took this as nothing coming in 2005. Of course maybe those couple of reps didn't know yet not to be so blunt<G>. This was at the first day of CES.
This is unusual for Ergan's company. In past years he wasn't above overhyping and over promising. (Like the 921 that was "shown" 2 years+ before it was released.
DISH is just a minor player in HD offerings. D* has 2-3 times as many as DISH's 7 channels, VOOM has more than anyone. They both have announced more are coming the first half of the year. The Canadian BEV already has 20+ incl. 4 PPV which is more PPV than anyone. The Canadian Star Choice only has about 5 or 6, but more are coming this year.
As said, DISH is not in the HD game. Cable, now, has DVRs and w. no upfront cost can really push DBS to the wall in HD.

...mike

E* has already lost 2-3 customers in the last 6 weeks to D* HD just from MY itty-bitty (5-10/month) shop. Forunately, we also handle D*, so WE didn't lose any customers.

Get a clue Charlie!

Well the last time I checked, the startup costs for DirectTV with HD are $300 - that's just for HD; I'm not talking DVR or anything. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). So if DishNetwork continues to be a let-down with HD, it looks like I'll go back to...GULP...Comcast.

Cable has definitely become an option where I live. Time Warner offers all the channels E* has plus 4 locals and INHD and INHD2. In addition, they offer a 2 tuner HD DVR for $10 a month. A friend of mine has it and the PQ is just as good as E*

When my contract is up in April I will factor in programming and DVR availability. If E* is the same position as they are now, I will switch to cable, even it does cost a little more.

I dont know why people are crying about getting ESPN 2 HD because i have had the HD pack for a week now and havent seen anything in HD on ESPN 1 yet. I am a sports fan so I check ESPN HD every hour or so. seems to me they need to put whatever HD they have on the one channel before they start charging people for a second channel.

richmert said:
I dont know why people are crying about getting ESPN 2 HD because i have had the HD pack for a week now and havent seen anything in HD on ESPN 1 yet. I am a sports fan so I check ESPN HD every hour or so. seems to me they need to put whatever HD they have on the one channel before they start charging people for a second channel.
Too bad you didn't sign up for HD when it was still baseball/football season. We had lots of games. OU/UCONN basketball was on Monday night. :)

I have to say I tend to agree about ESPN2, they can't even come CLOSE to filling ESPNHD with REAL HD programming, IMO, it's just a gimmick that they're even launching ESPN2HD.

What a crock.

--Matt

yeah i thought i would have bumped into a basketball game or two by now but i havent. i guess i have to look harder. maybe espn.com has a schedule. but still a second channel for limited HD sounds like overkill. i will admit that they could show two baseball games at once though if they wanted. i would have loved to see sunday night football in HD but again one show a week for a whole channel? you would think they would at least broadcast the in studio portion of sports news shows in HD.

wow i just looked up the schedule on ESPN and its even more depressing. one event every three days. oh wait that is originally produced events. ok the complete list is better. it shows several hours of events today including the duke NCstate game and sportsCenter in HD at 11pm. i dont know why i havent been able to find anything by channel surfing.

wait this cant be right. i turn on sports center every night and it always has those gray striped bars on the sides. is that what they consider HD? it sure doesnt look HD to me. just maybe SD transimitted on 720P

oh well i will keep looking for something decent on there. i'm sure i will find some basketball and maybe baseball soon.

richmert said:
wait this cant be right. i turn on sports center every night and it always has those gray striped bars on the sides. is that what they consider HD? it sure doesnt look HD to me. just maybe SD transimitted on 720P ...
Not sure if you're pulling my leg or not, but SportsCenter studio shots have been HD for a month or so. Yeah, lots of the game highlights they show are SD with bars. Maybe that's what you mean.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts