ESPN's first 4k event ever!!

I wonder if this is really 4K or upscaled 1080p like all the other football games to date. Fox didn't exactly make it widely known that their college games aren't really 4K so I wouldn't expect ESPN to be forthcoming with that information, either.

I would think it's real since it says live native 4k. but you never know. Hopefully it's real 4k. Although I'll take anything over their 720p broadcasts which have looked awful to me. Not sure what ESPN's app uses but I was watching NFL primetime on ESPN+ via my apple tv. And it looks a lot sharper than what I usually see on ESPN via Directv. But no 5.1 sound though.

I would think it's real since it says live native 4k. but you never know. Hopefully it's real 4k. Although I'll take anything over their 720p broadcasts which have looked awful to me. Not sure what ESPN's app uses but I was watching NFL primetime on ESPN+ via my apple tv. And it looks a lot sharper than what I usually see on ESPN via Directv. But no 5.1 sound though.
I've noticed a degradation in DTV's picture quality the last few months.

ESPN+ App picture quality is much brighter and sharper than DIRECTV, I have also notice a decrease in picture quality on DIRECTV lately.

Reactions: longhorn23
Well surprise surprise the "WORLD LEADER IN SPORTS" finally got off it's ### and is doing something in 4k.

So while this is good news to see.
But I'm shaking my head.
First their hype borders on invention of the wheel. and they they say "“After months of planning ......" IT WILL ONLY BE ON DIRECTV.

So screw you Dish 4k viewers or any other outlet.

Really good way to show your committment to US viewers.
After MONTHS of planning and testing they cut ONE deal with Samsung and Directv.

LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing like NOT including everyone.

Since this news article is current it's pathetic that Dish, FIBOTV and cable companies aren't included.

And like many of you I will not be lied to twice.
Will wait to see if it's 100% REAL 4K HDR.
Or if ESPN is pulling a FOX and lying to America.

Just boggles the mind.
They plan for MONTHS and then offer it to ONE company.

Why the hell didn't they cut a deal with Netflix or Amazon for 4k streaming.
But it's ATYPICAL of the worthless disney corporation.

Let's hope this changes and lets everyone be able to come to the party.

bjf

Well surprise surprise the "WORLD LEADER IN SPORTS" finally got off it's ### and is doing something in 4k.

So while this is good news to see.
But I'm shaking my head.
First their hype borders on invention of the wheel. and they they say "“After months of planning ......" IT WILL ONLY BE ON DIRECTV.

So screw you Dish 4k viewers or any other outlet.

Really good way to show your committment to US viewers.
After MONTHS of planning and testing they cut ONE deal with Samsung and Directv.

LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing like NOT including everyone.

Since this news article is current it's pathetic that Dish, FIBOTV and cable companies aren't included.

And like many of you I will not be lied to twice.
Will wait to see if it's 100% REAL 4K HDR.
Or if ESPN is pulling a FOX and lying to America.

Just boggles the mind.
They plan for MONTHS and then offer it to ONE company.

Why the hell didn't they cut a deal with Netflix or Amazon for 4k streaming.
But it's ATYPICAL of the worthless disney corporation.

Let's hope this changes and lets everyone be able to come to the party.

bjf

I wouldn't expect them to come to an agreement with ANY streaming companies seeing they have thier own streaming company.

I wouldn't expect them to come to an agreement with ANY streaming companies seeing they have thier own streaming company.

The article says exactly the opposite of your post.
They DID cut a deal with Directv ONLY.

You are obviously wrong based on this article from yesterday.
So you didn't read the article posted as the first post in this thread.
I guess not.

bjf

The article says exactly the opposite of your post.
They DID cut a deal with Directv ONLY.

You are obviously wrong based on this article from yesterday.
So you didn't read the article posted as the first post in this thread.
I guess not.

bjf
Directv is not a Streaming company.
Except for thier sorry excuse of a streaming try of D*

I am obviously NOT wrong, seeing no where in that article did they say they were agreeing to do anything with any streaming companies.

Directv is not a Streaming company.
Except for thier sorry excuse of a streaming try of D*

I am obviously NOT wrong, seeing no where in that article did they say they were agreeing to do anything with any streaming companies.

Dish network and major cable companies are not streaming companies and are NOT included.
Only deal is with Directv. The article in this thread a the top is my reference. No idea what you are going on about.

Nor am I interested in some endless arguement with your various posts.
No time to waste on nonsense.

bjf

Dish network and major cable companies are not streaming companies and are NOT included.
Only deal is with Directv. The article in this thread a the top is my reference. No idea what you are going on about.

Nor am I interested in some endless arguement with your various posts.
No time to waste on nonsense.

bjf
It sounded like you were annoyed because no streaming companies were included ... but thats not it, your annoyed because they made a deal with D* only ...

Blame that on them, not D*.

Many Thanks to the original poster longhorn23, of the ESPN 4K news.

Appreciate your posting the news.

I saw this tech article and it's been updated so I thought I post in a seperate thread.

bjf

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HOLD THE PRESSES.....

This is an update of my post below.

I just re-read this article and it's confusing on their wording.
But the cameras are 4k.
But they use the term replay and due to limitations it's being downconverted to 1080P.

So I'm not sure if this means once again the end result will be 1080P you get at home
on a 4k tv channel.

Or if they mean the live showing in real 4k and a repeat is 1080p.

Or if slo-mo replays are done in 1080p.

Confusion.

Best guess is they are going to send out to your home a 1080P signal on a 4k channel.

They are using REAL 4k cameras so that should improve image over Fox which is using
1080P cameras.

Nothing like more confusion.

Always some excuse by these companies to not give real 4k.

But they still want to call it real 4k to sell their product.

Would like more clarity about this from ESPN.

bjf

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I searched for some more ESPN 4K news links.

This is a tech link and discusses the 4k production end to end gear / setup for this 4k football.

The article states REAL 4K end to end. Entire production all cameras.

NO HDR and not plans for HDR at this point.

ONLY SDR.

AND in an update on this article in now shows Comcast Cable company IS NOW INCLUDED.

So two lucky groups Directv and Comcast if they have the required hardware.

ESPN Enters Native 4K Era: Inside the Network’s End-to-End 4K-Production Workflow for College Football

another link mentioned streamers are out of luck.

ESPN to show some college football games in 4K — but you can't stream 'em

This should makes lot of younger viewers happy.
Good show Disney!!!! Months to prepare and you don't include everyone possible.
Pat yourself on the back. There are many more news articles about this online.

bjf