ETF I expected but not a charge for this

But they charge for the use of their service. The label unused costs nothing. The used label is what dish would be accounting for, and which is where the cost gets passed on. If dish send you 5 labels, and you don't use any... There is no cost to you. If you use all 5 to ship back to dish after cancellinng, you get charged per label used. And Dish gets charged per label UpS has scanned into their system when a box is dropped off at their facility to be delivered.

But they charge for the use of their service. The label unused costs nothing. The used label is what dish would be accounting for, and which is where the cost gets passed on. If dish send you 5 labels, and you don't use any... There is no cost to you. If you use all 5 to ship back to dish after cancellinng, you get charged per label used. And Dish gets charged per label UpS has scanned into their system when a box is dropped off at their facility to be delivered.

It's incredible that you should even have to explain this...

I'm not sure unethical is the right word either but they sure don't give you warm fuzzy feeling about possibly coming back in the future. I paid the ETF and completed my commitment. I also had to pay $17 in shipping fees to get my HWS and Joey back to them.

The rep still felt the need to be rude to me while trying to keep me from canceling. He said that I was making a big mistake and that I would want to come back to Dish in a week or two. He said that when I wanted to come back they would look at me as a lower tier customer and make me pay for installation plus a deposit for breaking my contract (even though I agreed to pay the ETF).

I had already decided to cut the cord, so he couldn't change my mind by offering them. Still offering credits is an acceptable way to try to keep a customer from canceling. Badgering them and threatening them with future fees to try to scare them out of canceling is not. All it did for me was make me less likely to do business with Dish in the future.

Gee I didn't think it was a mistake when I cancelled.

As far as the return box fees, no other provider that I know of charges fees to ship back equipment when you cancel.

I agree with the fee some what. What they really need to do is give you the option to return it to a retailer or local DNS office to avoid the fee.

You can always ship the stuff back yourself which is sometimes cheaper.

Can you purchase and own equipment with any other provider??? I know I have heard DTV use to allow it, and has since quit that, and never really heard of the cable companies offering their equipment for purchase...no counting TIVOs and what not... actual cable company boxes...

I'm curious, why do you think the shipping fee is unethical? There is a cost to return the boxes, why should dish have to eat it? From a business standpoint, I think dish might be penny wise pound foolish by charging this fee. But that's a far cry from unethical...
That's what the ETF is for. Otherwise, don't charge and ETF.

It unethical because this is leased equipment. Period
You are correct, that the contract you sign is for leased equipment. However it also states, under the equipment portion, the customer shall bear sole responsilibility to return the equipment.

I do not understand how it is considered unethical that Dish ask you to return their equipment, but it is completely ethical for a consumer to agree to this in the beginning then cry about it at the end. This is one of those portions of the contracts that make me laugh, because it's there the whole time and no one gives a damn, but once it affects you then you can yell about how unethical it is and how the AG and BBB will handle it.

That is on the person that got caught up in flashy lights and did not read what they were signing. It would be one thing if the language was screwy, but that one is pretty clear cut.

Do your area cable companies pick up their boxes when you're done with them?

What does that have to do with only Dish Network charging for sending back equipment?

Again. Do other companies allow customers to purchase equipment, or can they only lease their equipment?

That is on the person that got caught up in flashy lights and did not read what they were signing. It would be one thing if the language was screwy, but that one is pretty clear cut.
What about long term customers who signed no such agreement?

Reactions: Troch77
Long term customers did sign that they accept the RSA and any changed in it, and if they disagree with it, they will cancel within 30 days of any changes. Also, continuance of service is agreement to what is layed out

That all said, most long time customers have upgraded their equipment in the last 6 years, and I know the disclosure goes back further than that. Also, for the long term customers that have legacy equipment, it has been moved from leased to owned, and come May, will be considered obsolete and ineligible for service. To continue service, would hve to accept the new terms(which were accepted previously anyways)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)