ETF I expected but not a charge for this

ces1948

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
I cancelled service today and as expected I owed a $180 etf. I was also informed that I would be charged $10 per box to return equipment. I have 3 joeys and a hopper and according to the rep that's $40 in additional charges. I don't recall being charged a fee to return equipment but it's been a while. Wonder if DTV charges that fee also?

Hey there, Ces1948. Return fees are only charged when the account is disconnected. Seeing as you have the Hopper System, it's likely that you will only be sent one box to send all of the equipment back. Resulting in one $10 charge. -Chris S.

Reactions: Yespage
Hey there, Ces1948. Return fees are only charged when the account is disconnected. Seeing as you have the Hopper System, it's likely that you will only be sent one box to send all of the equipment back. Resulting in one $10 charge. -Chris S.

It's only $10 per box now? Last I heard it was $15. Thanks for the news Chris.

Reactions: Chris_S@DISH
The Dish rep told me it was $10 per box (don't know if it was shipping box or tuner box) and since I had 4 boxes it would be $40. Hope she was wrong and it is only $10.

This is one of those Charlie "do let the door hit you on the way out" stupid charges. I wholly disagree with the charge to return equip for cancelling service with or without ETF. Further, Dish is wrong to require subscribers to climb on the roof and cut off the LNBF's and return them or else be charged for them. I understand the concern about piracy, but if Dish is NOT prepared to spend the money to PREVENT piracy (sending someone out to take them, which might be ILLEGAL as it is attached to the domicile), then that is Dish's problem. That is all the cost of doing business. The LNBF's and box return fees when canceling are unethical business practices. But, hey, we're talking about mercurial Charlie Ergen, here.

Considering the FTC's actions against DirecTV, I have hope the FTC is also reviewing Dish's own unethical practices (along with all the MVPD's out there), although DirecTV's were far more--in fact, the most--egregious. At the very least, I wish states would pass legislation that PROHIBITS a Sat company from imposing any fees if LNBF's (which are super cheap with the sat cos. massive economy of scale) are not returned when canceling service nor any "box return" or shipping fees required for equipment when canceling, and STELAR does not address this, so states would be free to pass legislation preventing such unethical charges. As if Dish did not get some money in subscription bills AND from the ethical ETF's, which are supposed to be the mechanism for mitigating any loss when a customer leaves before the end of their commitment. OR, a consumer can choose between paying the ETF or paying the LNBF and return equipment fees and shipping, BUT NOT BOTH. But none of these MVPD's are highly ethical anyway, which why we, unfortunately, need the FTC to take action on occasion.

When you cancel you just tell them it isn't safe to get the LNB and they waive it. When I cancelled and the boxes showed up they wanted the switch, integrator and LNB. I emailed them and said I couldn't get to those as they required ladder access and at my age I don't do ladders. They promptly replied not to worry and they would document and waive that requirement.

One nice thing that happened this time is that I received email from them when they received the Hopper and SuperJoey.

Reactions: old corps
This is one of those Charlie "do let the door hit you on the way out" stupid charges. I wholly disagree with the charge to return equip for cancelling service with or without ETF. Further, Dish is wrong to require subscribers to climb on the roof and cut off the LNBF's and return them or else be charged for them. I understand the concern about piracy, but if Dish is NOT prepared to spend the money to PREVENT piracy (sending someone out to take them, which might be ILLEGAL as it is attached to the domicile), then that is Dish's problem. That is all the cost of doing business. The LNBF's and box return fees when canceling are unethical business practices. But, hey, we're talking about mercurial Charlie Ergen, here.

Considering the FTC's actions against DirecTV, I have hope the FTC is also reviewing Dish's own unethical practices (along with all the MVPD's out there), although DirecTV's were far more--in fact, the most--egregious. At the very least, I wish states would pass legislation that PROHIBITS a Sat company from imposing any fees if LNBF's (which are super cheap with the sat cos. massive economy of scale) are not returned when canceling service nor any "box return" or shipping fees required for equipment when canceling, and STELAR does not address this, so states would be free to pass legislation preventing such unethical charges. As if Dish did not get some money in subscription bills AND from the ethical ETF's, which are supposed to be the mechanism for mitigating any loss when a customer leaves before the end of their commitment. OR, a consumer can choose between paying the ETF or paying the LNBF and return equipment fees and shipping, BUT NOT BOTH. But none of these MVPD's are highly ethical anyway, which why we, unfortunately, need the FTC to take action on occasion.
I'm curious, why do you think the shipping fee is unethical? There is a cost to return the boxes, why should dish have to eat it? From a business standpoint, I think dish might be penny wise pound foolish by charging this fee. But that's a far cry from unethical...

I'm curious, why do you think the shipping fee is unethical? There is a cost to return the boxes, why should dish have to eat it? From a business standpoint, I think dish might be penny wise pound foolish by charging this fee. But that's a far cry from unethical...
I will say this about unethical, I have a hopper and three joeys that could easily fit in one box and I could live with the $10, if they require me to use 4 separate boxes and charge me $40 then I think that's unethical

Reactions: Benyth
This is one of those Charlie "do let the door hit you on the way out" stupid charges. I wholly disagree with the charge to return equip for cancelling service with or without ETF.
So you think the rest of us should absorb the cost?

Bear in mind that the SAC is over $850.

I'm not sure unethical is the right word either but they sure don't give you warm fuzzy feeling about possibly coming back in the future. I paid the ETF and completed my commitment. I also had to pay $17 in shipping fees to get my HWS and Joey back to them.

The rep still felt the need to be rude to me while trying to keep me from canceling. He said that I was making a big mistake and that I would want to come back to Dish in a week or two. He said that when I wanted to come back they would look at me as a lower tier customer and make me pay for installation plus a deposit for breaking my contract (even though I agreed to pay the ETF).

I had already decided to cut the cord, so he couldn't change my mind by offering them. Still offering credits is an acceptable way to try to keep a customer from canceling. Badgering them and threatening them with future fees to try to scare them out of canceling is not. All it did for me was make me less likely to do business with Dish in the future.

Get a larger box and slap their label on it, fill it with shipping peanuts and off we go.

I'm curious, why do you think the shipping fee is unethical? There is a cost to return the boxes, why should dish have to eat it?
Because that's the cost of doing business. If they want their equipment back, they can pay to get it back.

But, I tend to agree that it isn't "unethical". Just miserly, selfish, and inconsiderate.

I will say this about unethical, I have a hopper and three joeys that could easily fit in one box and I could live with the $10, if they require me to use 4 separate boxes and charge me $40 then I think that's unethical
It's actually not about how many boxes, how many receivers, or anything like that. Technically, it is how many shipping labels are charged to Dish that you use, they just pass those costs to the customer. If you use one box, with one label, under I beleive the max weight for UPS is 31lbs, then you will only pay the one single return fee. And although it used to be $17, apperantly that hd since gone down and is now $10/label used. You can also avoid this fee if you choose your own method of shipping. I used my dads company account and shipped my box back at no expense to myself, and the corp he works for doesn't care about that one... So I came out on top.

It's actually not about how many boxes, how many receivers, or anything like that. Technically, it is how many shipping labels are charged to Dish that you use, they just pass those costs to the customer. If you use one box, with one label, under I beleive the max weight for UPS is 31lbs, then you will only pay the one single return fee. And although it used to be $17, apperantly that hd since gone down and is now $10/label used. You can also avoid this fee if you choose your own method of shipping. I used my dads company account and shipped my box back at no expense to myself, and the corp he works for doesn't care about that one... So I came out on top.
Thanks for clarifying.

Not a problem. I do like that they lowered it to $10. Definitely a savings over the $17 which is about what UpS would charge anyways.

Reactions: JSheridan
Not a problem. I do like that they lowered it to $10. Definitely a savings over the $17 which is about what UpS would charge anyways.
I just ran a 7 pound box through the UPS non-contract cost calculator and it gave me a $26.09 price. You must pay "dimensional weight" for these relatively light boxes.

There is a cost for the use of the labels, based on the contract the company has with UPS. Whether it's a flat monthly or periodical fee, or per unit. It would average around the $17/ used label that dish has to pay UPS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)