Ethernet (network) pass through on H3?

gislands

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
California
Hi all,
Without being home I just googled a picture of the H3 and see there are two Ethernet ports on the back. If I were to plug a ethernet cable into one with internet access could I then use the other as like a pass through to plug into let's say a smart TV? Right now I have a powerline set up from my main router and was wondering if I would need an ethernet switch to hard wire (as opposed to using WiFi) both H3 and smart TV or if I could just plug the Smart TV into the other ethernet port on the back of H3 with one coming from the powerline and originating the network connection.
Thanks,
G Islands.

Hi all,
Without being home I just googled a picture of the H3 and see there are two Ethernet ports on the back. If I were to plug a ethernet cable into one with internet access could I then use the other as like a pass through to plug into let's say a smart TV? Right now I have a powerline set up from my main router and was wondering if I would need an ethernet switch to hard wire (as opposed to using WiFi) both H3 and smart TV or if I could just plug the Smart TV into the other ethernet port on the back of H3 with one coming from the powerline and originating the network connection.
Thanks,
G Islands.
pass-through works - I'm using it.

Hi all,
Thanks,
G Islands.
Someone wiser than I can answer this question, but I believe that the second ethernet cable is for the Wireless Joey Access Point to be hooked up to so that you can run Wireless Joeys with your H3. At least that is the major purpose for the second ethernet access.

So is it mandatory that the Wireless Access Point has to be Ethernet cabled to the Hopper? Can the WAP be connected straight to the router?

So is it mandatory that the Wireless Access Point has to be Ethernet cabled to the Hopper? Can the WAP be connected straight to the router?
Again, if I understand correctly, the WAP is connected through either direct connection to the Hopper by ethernet cable, or with the Hopper internet connector hooked up directly to coaxial cable & the WAP hooked up to it by ethernet cable. In the latter instance the Hopper Internet Connector is solely used for hook up to the WAP, not for internet connection(your Hopper would provide the direct internet connection).

Edit: visualize the cable that would go to your Joey/one of your Joeys going to the Hopper Internet Connector instead. then visualize hooking the WAP to it via ethernet cable. Now you have access for your Wireless Joeys.

Again, if I understand correctly, the WAP is connected through either direct connection to the Hopper by ethernet cable, or with the Hopper internet connector hooked up directly to coaxial cable & the WAP hooked up to it by ethernet cable. In the latter instance the Hopper Internet Connector is solely used for hook up to the WAP, not for internet connection(your Hopper would provide the direct internet connection).

Edit: visualize the cable that would go to your Joey/one of your Joeys going to the Hopper Internet Connector instead. then visualize hooking the WAP to it via ethernet cable. Now you have access for your Wireless Joeys.
OK, thanks. I really don't see the need for the HIC if I have one HWS connected by Ethernet to the router and the WAP also connected by Ethernet to the router. The reason I am asking, my two WJs and router are up stairs and all my HWSs are down stairs. If I had the WAP up stairs by my router the signal would be better to the WJs.

One time I had four HWSs and one Joey one all connected by Ethernet to my router. I had all HWSs and Joey in Ethernet mode and everything worked great.

OK, thanks. I really don't see the need for the HIC if I have one HWS connected by Ethernet to the router and the WAP also connected by Ethernet to the router. The reason I am asking, my two WJs and router are up stairs and all my HWSs are down stairs. If I had the WAP up stairs by my router the signal would be better to the WJs.

One time I had four HWSs and one Joey one all connected by Ethernet to my router. I had all HWSs and Joey in Ethernet mode and everything worked great.
I believe that it has to do with the Hopper Joey set-up being a MoCA set-up(it's easier to explain if you know & understand the Directv DECA set-up). if you attach the WAP directly to your router, it will be outside of the Hopper MoCA set-up, you just can't do it. It has to be the two ways that I describe it. Otherwise, I'm guessing here, the WAP will not see the Hopper without direct connection to it through ethernet cable or HIC via coaxial cable. Bottom line, it won't except the two ways that I just described.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I believe that it has to do with the Hopper Joey set-up being a MoCA set-up(it's easier to explain if you know & understand the Directv DECA set-up). if you attach the WAP directly to your router, it will be outside of the Hopper MoCA set-up, you just can't do it. It has to be the two ways that I describe it. Otherwise, I'm guessing here, the WAP will not see the Hopper without direct connection to it through ethernet cable or HIC via coaxial cable. Bottom line, it won't except the two ways that I just described.
OK, understand.

So what I am understanding from all that is that one ethernet port takes the incoming network/internet input and the other one is 'supposed' to pass it along to the Wireless Access Point feeding both internet and all the other network stuff the wireless joeys need. Now... can I plug anything that needs network/internet access into that ethernet port that is 'intended' for the Wireless Access Point? A smart TV or a Roku box for instance? I am not at home right now, otherwise I'd try. This is for a H3 by the way. Also, does it matter which is which...should the internet/network in be on the bottom port and the output to whatever be the top port?

So what I am understanding from all that is that one ethernet port takes the incoming network/internet input and the other one is 'supposed' to pass it along to the Wireless Access Point feeding both internet and all the other network stuff the wireless joeys need. Now... can I plug anything that needs network/internet access into that ethernet port that is 'intended' for the Wireless Access Point? A smart TV or a Roku box for instance? I am not at home right now, otherwise I'd try. This is for a H3 by the way. Also, does it matter which is which...should the internet/network in be on the bottom port and the output to whatever be the top port?
Try it. I believe it will work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

pass-through works - I'm using it.
Can confirm this confirmation... pass through does work on H3. So it's now doubled confirmed. I have the "input" of the network/internet at the top ethernet port and the "output" on the bottom. Not sure if it works the other way around.

Or, you can get a 5- or 8-port Ethernet switch for $25 or so to feed all the networked AV devices in your home theater setup. I needed the 8-port since I have our PS4, AppleTV, Blu-ray, TV, Hopper 3, and AVR all connected to the switch. Hopefully that's it!

If the second Ethernet port on the Hopper 3 is a pure pass thru, I don't see why the WAP would not work if the Cat5 cable is plugged direct into the router instead of the Hopper. What do you think JSheridan? I guess I just need to try it out sometime.

If the second Ethernet port on the Hopper 3 is a pure pass thru, I don't see why the WAP would not work if the Cat5 cable is plugged direct into the router instead of the Hopper. What do you think JSheridan? I guess I just need to try it out sometime.
I thought I read way back that it does work. It's just unsupported because it would put all the video traffic on your home network instead of a separate network.

I thought I read way back that it does work. It's just unsupported because it would put all the video traffic on your home network instead of a separate network.

I thought I had read that too some place come to think of it. My internet speed is 160 Mb/s down and only 5 Mb/s up. Do you think my home network can handle that if I plug the WAP straight into my router with two WJs? Is slow up speed that big of deal? I just need to try it I guess.

I thought I had read that too some place come to think of it. My internet speed is 160 Mb/s down and only 5 Mb/s up. Do you think my home network can handle that if I plug the WAP straight into my router with two WJs? Is slow up speed that big of deal? I just need to try it I guess.
The 160/5 only matters for data entering or leaving your house not stuff just traveling between devices in the home. As for can your network handle the traffic, even an old 10/100 could handle 4 4k wj's but the question would be why would you. Ever seen traffic in a small town when the local interstate gets blocked and all those cars get off to go around the crash. Yikes.

The 160/5 only matters for data entering or leaving your house not stuff just traveling between devices in the home. As for can your network handle the traffic, even an old 10/100 could handle 4 4k wj's but the question would be why would you. Ever seen traffic in a small town when the local interstate gets blocked and all those cars get off to go around the crash. Yikes.
OK, thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)