H360 on H3 has arrived

Had my first problem with the H360 software. I watched a recording of Meet the Press on my local Family Room Hopper3. Trick play worked fine while watching the recording. At the end of the recording when trying to delete the recording the Living Room Hopper3 hung with a static image. I hit the DVR button and it took about 20 seconds to bring up the DVR menu. In the past selecting Guide would allow me to recover by selecting a channel to view. But the Hopper3 would not respond. I was finally able to get to the diagnostics page. But it took 20 seconds to respond. I finally ended up rebooting my Hopper3 receiver.
I wonder if the software has a memory leak such that the Hopper3 stops responding when the available memory gets depleted. Of course I am just guessing. Josh has given my information to the Dish engineers so hopefully they may be able to see something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supposedly, yes, our systems are now showing X58 to be the latest over satellite software, with X60 still being internet connected receivers only.
I have a question I have been meaning to ask a long time. I know my Hopper H3 is connected to the Internet as I can use Youtube and DishAnywhere but in the MyDish app itself, it shows my H3 as not connected to the Internet. There used to be a section on mydish.com that also shows the internet connected status but I couldn't find it when I tried. Are other people using MyDish app also showing their Hopper H3's as not connected?

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have a question I have been meaning to ask a long time. I know my Hopper H3 is connected to the Internet as I can use Youtube and DishAnywhere but in the MyDish app itself, it shows my H3 as not connected to the Internet. There used to be a section on mydish.com that also shows the internet connected status but I couldn't find it when I tried. Are other people using MyDish app also showing their Hopper H3's as not connected?
I haven't seen it myself but have heard of other people experiencing the same thing. I really don't mess with anything on mydish or dish anywhere so can't really say why it happens or how to fix it.

It's been that way for many years. Nobody at DISH pays any attention to that anymore. There was a time that mattered, not so much now.
I was only asking because tjboston5676 mentioned that "Supposedly, yes, our systems are now showing X58 to be the latest over satellite software, with X60 still being internet connected receivers only." so I was wondering how they determined who is internet connected and who isn't as I would have thought most people with a Hopper 3 would be internet connected unless MyDish was showing them as not which might also be how the rest of DISH sees it so they only get X58 and never X60 for that reason.

I was only asking because tjboston5676 mentioned that "Supposedly, yes, our systems are now showing X58 to be the latest over satellite software, with X60 still being internet connected receivers only." so I was wondering how they determined who is internet connected and who isn't as I would have thought most people with a Hopper 3 would be internet connected unless MyDish was showing them as not which might also be how the rest of DISH sees it so they only get X58 and never X60 for that reason.
I thought most customers were satellite connected but some did not have it also connected to Internet. So are there lots of customers that have Internet connected only receivers and no satellite connection?

Last edited:
The great DISH computer in the sky determines which Hoppers are internet connected and which are not. If they are connected it can look into that Hopper and know it is connected. It doesn't matter what gets posted on a database readout.

You have to have satellite for things to work. Internet is not required it when it is, the receiver dings a ping to dish and searches for software periodically and that's how it knows if it's connected to internet.

You have to have satellite for things to work. Internet is not required it when it is, the receiver dings a ping to dish and searches for software periodically and that's how it knows if it's connected to internet.
Are both X58 and X 60 software identical? I still don't understand how one is selected and not the other. I have good Internet connection for my Hopper 3s and I got X58 handed down to me.

I thought most customers were satellite connected but some did not have it also connected to Internet. So are there lots of customers that have Internet connected only receivers and no satellite connection?
It's obvious they had to be satellite connected but in the internet age since even when the Hopper H3 came out in early 2016, I would expect everyone to have internet so internet connected receivers in this sense meant they were both satellite and internet connected. Besides, in one of the threads talking about software updates for the Hopper H3, it was said that the Hopper's only communicate in one direction so it's obvious, it would need the internet connection for the other direction.

The great DISH computer in the sky determines which Hoppers are internet connected and which are not. If they are connected it can look into that Hopper and know it is connected. It doesn't matter what gets posted on a database readout.
No sure if this is correct but I think the DISH in the sky is more used for transport/transmission of signals and the actual computer with the database is actually located on servers on planet earth as while there may be computers on the sky with the software updates, the instructions and authorization does come from queries with the databases where the actual instructions come from. I remember many years ago when I had the Hopper 2K which was probably 2012-2015, before I used EHD's, their website always detected my receiver as not connected on the internet and forgot who it was that responded saying I needed to ask for a hit and ofcourse the hit(s) never changed the internet connected status on my account, it always showed as not internet connected so I guess the previous question in a way was curiosity if others actually show internet connected or not when it came to what the database says.

Are both X58 and X 60 software identical? I still don't understand how one is selected and not the other. I have good Internet connection for my Hopper 3s and I got X58 handed down to me.
I thought originally, it's not really X58 or X60 but more H3YZ as the X would be 3 regardless and Y could be either 4 or 5 with the 4 going to regular users and the 5 going to people who they decide to test because the 5 had the newer video player and basically 4 is the stable and 5 is the test but now, Y is 5 for the stable version and 6 is the test version. I doubt they are identical as we would not know without comparing the MD5 of both versions and without Josh.M or someone else with official information from DISH, no one will know what the real changes are. They should really have people who want to be testers sign up instead of just pushing it randomly as I am sure some people with the test versions do not want to be running test versions and they also probably don't have support because test versions should only be used by those who have technical skills and can accept the problems.

I think in another thread How is an on-demand software install of a Hopper accomplished? , it was said that for software updates and checking software updates on-demand, the satellite was one direction only or half duplex and it would require the internet for the other direction as the downstream is usually for the data to be received but usually after it's received, an ACK or Acknowledgement packet is sent back to confirm receipt of the packet. But the real question is for non-Internet connected Hopper H3's and since it's one direction only, how does the Hopper H3 tell DISH in the sky that it does not want the software update after it determined it already had the same or newer version already or is the one direction really meaning they can only talk in one direction at a time and not simultaneously.

No sure if this is correct but I think the DISH in the sky is more used for transport/transmission of signals and the actual computer with the database is actually located on servers on planet earth as while there may be computers on the sky with the software updates, the instructions and authorization does come from queries with the databases where the actual instructions come from. I remember many years ago when I had the Hopper 2K which was probably 2012-2015, before I used EHD's, their website always detected my receiver as not connected on the internet and forgot who it was that responded saying I needed to ask for a hit and ofcourse the hit(s) never changed the internet connected status on my account, it always showed as not internet connected so I guess the previous question in a way was curiosity if others actually show internet connected or not when it came to what the database says.
I was being facetious with the "in the sky" comment. You had to know that!

I think in another thread How is an on-demand software install of a Hopper accomplished? , it was said that for software updates and checking software updates on-demand, the satellite was one direction only or half duplex and it would require the internet for the other direction as the downstream is usually for the data to be received but usually after it's received, an ACK or Acknowledgement packet is sent back to confirm receipt of the packet. But the real question is for non-Internet connected Hopper H3's and since it's one direction only, how does the Hopper H3 tell DISH in the sky that it does not want the software update after it determined it already had the same or newer version already or is the one direction really meaning they can only talk in one direction at a time and not simultaneously.
There is no data uplink at all possible from any customer class Dish receiver. If the receiver software detects the software version available to download the same or older than that installed, the receiver simply rejects the download.