Ethernet/Phone Input? New Dish Customer

g8rgrad98

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Florida
I had Dish installed yesterday and have the VIP 722. What is the best/cheapest way to get an ethernet/phone signal to the receiver?

I only have the MagicJack for the home phone, but do have a wireless network in the house. Would a powerline adapter be best or is there another wireless option?

What is the cheapest (but best) option be?

Tks all!:tux:

That connects it to the wireless? For PPV, etc?
If you just use the phone line, you won't be able to do the Dish Online crap (it is actually crap, at least in terms of organization).

The best option is to run an ethernet cable directly from your router to your 722.

If that is a no-go, then powerline will be the next best option. It will be reliable and fast enough.

The third best option would be a wireless solution (like a wireless gaming adaptor). But they suffer from the same setbacks of any wireless connection, including reliability of connection and speed.

If you just use the phone line, you won't be able to do the Dish Online crap (it is actually crap, at least in terms of organization).

The best option is to run an ethernet cable directly from your router to your 722.

If that is a no-go, then powerline will be the next best option. It will be reliable and fast enough.

The third best option would be a wireless solution (like a wireless gaming adaptor). But they suffer from the same setbacks of any wireless connection, including reliability of connection and speed.

I have a wireless music bridge I've been trying to sell on Craigslist ( [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WMB54G-Wireless-G-Music-Bridge/dp/B000E5E6KG]Amazon.com: Linksys WMB54G Wireless-G Music Bridge: Electronics[/ame] ), would that work?

My wireless network is very very solid and in 2+ years have never had any issues, so I'm ok with wireless or powerline. Running ethernet to the receiver isn't an option since it is clear on the other end of the house (and no fishable wall space exists there due to the layout of the house).

I don't think phoneline is even an option since I have the magicjack for that.

I am not sure about that particular device. I would guess that it does, but again I can't really tell. Maybe someone else would know?

I am not sure about that particular device. I would guess that it does, but again I can't really tell. Maybe someone else would know?

wireless game adapter or any wireless bridge that connects to the ethernet port and is compatible with the wireless router. It has to be connected to the ethernet port and not a USB port of the receiver. Plug the music bridge in. It'll either work or not.

For about $50 you can buy a wireless phone jack. It has a transmitter and receiver one hooks to any phone jack then plug the receiver(Wirleess phone) in to a power outlet near the 722, hookup the phone line to the dish receiver and yer done. Have installed many of them on new duo receiver install. The aren't free with the install but many customers have purchased them from my company.

I have a Netgear XE103 Powerline Network adapter, I got for around $40 on Amazon. Just plug into to your wireless adapter and plug the electric directly into a wall outlet not a surge protector. Your Dish receiver has home plug all you have
to do is plug it directly into a wall outlet, again not into a surge protecter and the
wireless network goes through the electric to the Dish receiver. My works great

Based on my experience, I would switch the order of #2 and #3. I tried the HomePlug, the reliability was OK, but the speed was terrible. I'm now using a gaming adapter for about 3 weeks and the reliability is great (no drops yet) and the speed is very good...

Based on my experience, I would switch the order of #2 and #3. I tried the HomePlug, the reliability was OK, but the speed was terrible. I'm now using a gaming adapter for about 3 weeks and the reliability is great (no drops yet) and the speed is very good...
Which variety of homeplug? The 85Mbps variety or the 200Mpbs variety? Just wondering.

I tried the Music Bridge last night, and no go :confused:

I guess I'll have to look for a gaming adapter now or powerline.:river

I have a wireless music bridge I've been trying to sell on Craigslist ( Amazon.com: Linksys WMB54G Wireless-G Music Bridge: Electronics ), would that work?

My wireless network is very very solid and in 2+ years have never had any issues, so I'm ok with wireless or powerline. Running ethernet to the receiver isn't an option since it is clear on the other end of the house (and no fishable wall space exists there due to the layout of the house).

I don't think phoneline is even an option since I have the magicjack for that.

I have Magic Jack on the 30 day free trial and my 722 is hooked to it. I tried a dial in to my account and it worked ok. If you are just looking to do regular pay per view MJ works pretty much like a phone line. It keeps the "no phone line" message from coming up on the 722 as long as it sees the dial tone when it tests. Of coarse you have to keep your computer on all the time for MJ to be accessible.

Unfortunately, my PC and magicjack are on opposite ends of the house from my receivers. And no phone outlets anywhere near the tv either :(

I just hooked up my 722 using a wireless bridge and I am very satisfied with the results. I used the d-link model......
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DAP1522-GigaBit-Selectable-Wireless/dp/B001769K3O/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1]Amazon.com: D-Link DAP1522 Xtreme 4-Port GigaBit Selectable Dual Band Draft 802.11n N Duo Wireless Bridge/Access Point: Electronics[/ame]

The nice thing is I use the bridge for the 722, Sony blu-ray updates, and my kids xbox live. The unit is a little more pricey but it saved me from buying an x-box adaptor. I liked it also because I have the d-link wireless n router and setup was fairly easy.

When I do get a hold of a bridge, other than through the broadband settings on the setup, are there any other things onthe VIP 722 I need to change?

Last edited:
I just hooked up my 722 using a wireless bridge and I am very satisfied with the results. I used the d-link model......
Amazon.com: D-Link DAP1522 Xtreme 4-Port GigaBit Selectable Dual Band Draft 802.11n N Duo Wireless Bridge/Access Point: Electronics

The nice thing is I use the bridge for the 722, Sony blu-ray updates, and my kids xbox live. The unit is a little more pricey but it saved me from buying an x-box adaptor. I liked it also because I have the d-link wireless n router and setup was fairly easy.

Cool device. Connect everything to one bridge. My PS3 and TiVo are already wireless, but it would be great for those who needed more ports.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts