Ethernet/Phone Input? New Dish Customer

When I do get a hold of a bridge, other than through the broadband settings on the setup, are there any other things onthe VIP 722 I need to change?

Once I got the bridge up and working with the router then it was simple to connect the 722. Basically just plug the ethernet cable into the bridge from your IRD. Navigate to the "Broadband Setup" on the 722 and select "Network Setup" ...then select "Reset Connection". After a few seconds it should be "Connected Online".

Once connected just go to the "Dish on Demand" menu > "Dish Online" and search for whatever theme your interested in...."Get Results" and you should see a populated selection to download from. ;)

I used an Airport Express to:

1. Bridge my wireless network to my DVR.
2. Setup AirTunes, allowing me to listen to my iTunes library on my stereo.
3. Extend my wireless network range.
4. Reduce the number of non-802.11n devices on my wireless network by plugging my PS3 into the same switch with my VIP622.

I plan to use a Powerline Ethernet Adapter to connect my VIP722 to the network, so I can do remote scheduling on it as well.

Ted

So I have mine 722 hooked up via ethernet but when I try to do some things like order ppv or view the bill it still trys to dial out. Is there a way to make it go through the internet?

So I have mine 722 hooked up via ethernet but when I try to do some things like order ppv or view the bill it still trys to dial out. Is there a way to make it go through the internet?

Go Menu 6 1 4

What does it say for Connection Mode? Do you have a phone line plugged into the receiver? I just have an internet connection and don't have any attempts to dial out.

Which variety of homeplug? The 85Mbps variety or the 200Mpbs variety? Just wondering.

200 (Homeplug AV or 2.0) does not work. Actually current versions of Dish receivers only support the lowest speed (14Mbps) but the new 922 will support turbo speeds 85Mbps. Homeplug 1.0 devices with turbo support both 14 and 85 speeds. Two seperate Homeplug devices one with AV and one 1.0 can be used at the same time but do not talk to each other except through a seperate bridge or router.

Last edited:
I don't think phoneline is even an option since I have the magicjack for that.
It probably IS an option (except that you said you don't have a phone line ANYwhere near your TV). How hard would it be to just run a line from the nearest phone jack?

(Sorry I posted this befrore your comment about nothing near the TV, but maybe someone else can benefit)
If you have the old phone wiring in your home and aren't using it (you shouldn't be if you have MJ), then you may be able to plug into the home wiring for the phone from the output of the magicJack & plug your 722 into a nearby phone jack. You'll want to disconnect any old connection from your house to the local phone company (in the junction box likely on the outside of your home).

If that doesn't make sense - just let me know. You are basically feeding a dial-tone into your wiring from your magicJack instead of from the phone company line into your home. You may need a splitter from your magicJack phone if you don't already have a something, so that you can keep the magicJack phone ringing and still run a line into the home wiring. And you'll need another phone cord from the 722 to the phone outlet nearby.

I would only do it if:
  • You aren't using the old phone lines for something already
  • You have nearby phone jacks to the computer and HD receiver (722)
  • You are willing to do a bit of testing out without getting frustrated or giving up

I have Magic Jack on the 30 day free trial and my 722 is hooked to it. I tried a dial in to my account and it worked ok. If you are just looking to do regular pay per view MJ works pretty much like a phone line. It keeps the "no phone line" message from coming up on the 722 as long as it sees the dial tone when it tests. Of coarse you have to keep your computer on all the time for MJ to be accessible.
Hopefully you can run an ethernet line to the 722 if you can run the MJ line to it. You'll have a more consistent connection and Dish says it counts instead of needing a phone line. Plus it's much faster. I have both running, but I pretty much ignore the MJ if it's not giving a dial tone for a time (computer off or whatever).