Ethernet vs. Wireless download speed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

abisdabis

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Western PA
I have just upgraded my 768k DSL to FIOS 5\2 service. I have a desktop and laptop both running XP Home SP2. Both machines are connecting to the router wirelessly. I ran a few download tests and I am getting about 2.7Mbps on both. I connected the laptop to the router via the ethernet port and ran the same tests. I was able to get 4.7Mbps consistently. Both wireless cards are 802.11g and connect at 56Mbps. Should I expect to see such a difference in download speeds between the wireless and wired connection and if so why? Anything I can do about it?

I notice no difference between my wired and wireless connection. I pay for 5.0M download / 768K upload and I just ran a random test and got 4.981/620. There are statistically insignificant differences when I test that on a wired vs. a wireless machine.

I don't know why you're noticing a difference. Someone more learned than me will chime in for you.

One more thing...

I've been encouraged in the past to frequently check on my router manufacturer's site for firmware updates. This holds true for wireless NIC's, too. It'd be worth a shot.

The wireless rates should be much closer to the wired rates.

Try moving the wireless machine closer to the router and see if the speed doesn't pick up. Connection speeds mean very little if the error rate is high.

Just to try I shut down the desktop and now I am getting close to 4Mbps on the laptop. Any suggestions on things I can tweak?

The wireless rates should be much closer to the wired rates.

Try moving the wireless machine closer to the router and see if the speed doesn't pick up. Connection speeds mean very little if the error rate is high.

Do you know if FIOS is a shared technology or is it a distinct connection like DSL?

distinct

And distance from the router, walls, certain other electronics, can all degrade the speed.

To add to Navy's above Most wireless routers/APs are 2.4g freq; any 2.4g cordless phones in the home? Switch to a different phone tech like DECT or 5.4g or go back to corded phones. If you are in a multi-person dwelling (apt/condo) you may not be able to eliminate wireless interference all together so seek a hardwire solution for peak performance..

And from my hardwired desktop

Keeping in mind I have a crappy laptop with a USB wireless network adapter but that seems like quite a difference. I have 10/1 DSL service.

Just to try I shut down the desktop and now I am getting close to 4Mbps on the laptop. Any suggestions on things I can tweak?
You might check to see if your laptop is sharing your desktop connection instead of going straight to the router. Very bad things can happen when you run network setup wizards.

DITTO THAT!

..and I usually recommend setting up assigned IPs as apposed to dynamically assigned.
Have you ever thought of putting together a "Networking for Dummies" FAQ type article? I suspect there are others like myself with a mental block when it comes to this stuff that could use some simplified guidance.:)

You might check to see if your laptop is sharing your desktop connection instead of going straight to the router. Very bad things can happen when you run network setup wizards.

Excellent idea. I definitely ran the network wizard the other day after the install. If that is the case how do I correct the issue.

Those tests are not very reliable.
Below are two results using the same computer within 2 minutes, going to Vancouver and Calgary.

Diogen.

Do you know if FIOS is a shared technology or is it a distinct connection like DSL?

It's actually a hybrid of both. There is a common link to a neighborhood of about 622 Mbps (an OC-12), which is then segmented (not shared) to no more than 32 households. That's in the BPON areas. They are testing GPONs in some areas in which the common link to the neighborhood is an OC-48 (~2.4gbps).

But that is neither here nor there in the original poster's issue. He's got a wireless problem. For a 5MB pipe, he shouldn't see any significant difference between his wireless and wired connection.

I re-ran the network wizard and so far everything seems to be working well. I am consistently getting 4.9 down and 2.2 up on both machines wirelessly. I will be back with more questions shortly.

Thanks for all of your help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)