EURO 2008 on ESPN HD (Warning: spoilers allowed!)

I actually wasn't suggesting that, but instead, proposing to make this a spoiler thread (with warning in the thread title), because there is not much to talk about otherwise.

The schedule is in the first post, so it is easy for people to access that without seeing the spoilers that are on the other end of the thread...

Oh, I see what you mean. Works for me.

Of course, this may not work if you saved some games for future viewing and didn't have time to watch them yet, but in that case you probably wouldn't be in this thread anyway. ;)

Ok, let's do it! Let's declare this thread a spoiler thread. So we could shout goals during the live broadcast! :D

WARNING: Spoilers are allowed in this thread!

Well, based on today's game it looks like Germany's strength is overrated! :)

For those who missed it, the Croatia-Germany game is being replayed right now on ESPN2, followed by New England-Houston MLS match.

Amazed how Croatia totally outplayed Germans - but there again they also outplayed England in qualifying.....
As for La Liga , ko Aug 30/31st - ends last wkend in May - fingers crossed

Well, today is the "group of death" once again:
Italy-Romania at 11:50 ET followed by France-Netherlands at 2:30 PM ET
Should be interesting!

Wow! Look at that Dutch team! These guys are on fire!!!

Two good games today. Spain and Sweden (on right now) are most likely deciding the first place in the group. Later Russia and Greece will be fighting for survival.

ESPN does the right thing !

Crucial Turkey-Czech match swithched to HD on ESPN2-HD and now pointless match between Portugal-Switzerland (probably featuring second teams of both squads so they can get some "caps") is moved to SD on ESPN-Classic and ESPN-Deportes.

Also Note that Turkey-Czech can go to Penalty Kicks, so add additional time to your DVR timer.

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing out. That's good news, especially for those of us on HD-only plan. ;)

So, here are the standings after the second round:

Group A
Portugal 6
Czech Republic 3
Turkey 3
Switzerland 0

Czech Republic and Turkey will fight for the second spot tomorrow. Since the two teams have the same goal difference and the same number of goals scored, a penalty shoot-out is a possibility.

Group B
Croatia 6
Germany 3
Austria 1
Poland 1​

Germany only need a draw. If Austria win they would go through, unless Poland defeat Croatia by a bigger margin.

Group C
Netherlands 6
Romania 2
Italy 1
France 1​

Netherlands has the top spot. The second spot is up for grabs. If Romania doesn't win, Italy or France can advance by winning their match. Draws can make the situation very tricky: in some scenarios Romania can advance even if they lose.

Group D
Spain 6
Sweden 3
Russia 3
Greece 0

Russia must win to advance. Sweden only needs a draw. Greece is out.

To clarify, in Euro2008, head-to-head result is the first tie breaker.

So, for example, Sweden beat Russia, so if they are tied at the end of the third round, then Sweden advance.

Seems fair.

If the two contenders are already tied before they play their match (Turkey and Czech), then they go to goal diff and goals scored, but Turkey and Czech are equal there too. So, if they draw after 90 minutes, then they are exactly equal.

Since this is still the "group stage", they don't play overtime periods, so they need "penalty kicks" to determine who advances. At least that has some soccer skills involved (although it is amazing how many times the best player is the one who misses...).

The Turkey - Czech Republic game is on. Should be interesting!

SPOILER:

Turkey - Czech Rebublic - incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aint over til the fat lass sings - (or in this case Nihat). Felt sorry for Cech, who beleive me is a fine keeper - perhaps only bettered by Iker Casillas. Talking about Spain, Malaga and Sporting Gijon were promoted to the Primera today (along with Numania who made it weeks ago) - Sporting promises Asturias and fine fine food....if we continue...my bank manager wants us to.

tomorrow Germany - Austria (Anschluss - or whatever again??????)

Fantastic game! What a finish for Turkey! Did they turn the table around in the final minutes?!! What a come-back!!!

DVR Alert - ESPN upgraded both matches to HD channels, but this will have messed up your DVR timers, if you made them well in advance.

Greece-Spain ended up on ESPN2-HD, and the more important Russia-Sweden is on ESPN-HD.

Every time Portugal play, I just keep hoping to see Cristiano Ronaldo kicked high into the air...He's a great player, but a spoilt little brat you only have to see the R Madrid affair to realise that.

Well Paul, you get to see him every week this fall, as he has just announced he is going to Real Madrid.

It looks like 75 million pounds will go to the Glaziers, and when you consider that Torres only cost 25 million pounds, Ferguson should be able to buy at least two equivalent players...

Yeah - looks like it will happen, but I think Man Utd will play really tough mainly because they are really angry at the way Madrid have gone about 'tapping up' Ronaldo behind their back and using the press to convey messages to the player (this is the Real Madrid that always says they behave like 'gentlemen' of course.....like hell they do).
I suspect we are looking at over €100 million, which is madness...If I were Man Utd, I'd be secretly laughing to myself, for that money they can buy Eto'o for about €30 millon and Berbatov from Tottenham and have an ever better squad. There are even rumours they may ask for Wes Sneijder in part exchange - what a great player he is.
As for Madrid, spending all that cash seems crazy. They need cover in central defence and at right back (Salgado is getting too old to cover) and although Metzelder has been good in Euro 2008, he's injury prone and Cannavaro is going to be 35 soon...) I also think they need another striker - Saviola failed, Raul will be 33 soon and Van Nistelrooy is starting to get injuries and there is only Higuan....
Saying all of that, a moaning, diving little cheat like Ronaldo will get so many penalties in Spain ESPECIALLY playing for Madrid, that maybe he is wirth the money, even though there have to be doubts about his big-game performances ie he lacks the strength of personality when it really matters, unlike say Ballack.
Have to say i was pleased the Germans won - my team from the start of the competition.

By the way, anyone who has not seen "The Special One" comedic satires online, is in for a treat !

Go to:

Setanta Sports - The Special One

and find where it says:

Watch all of José's clips here

and then scroll down to the bottom, and watch them in reverse order from the bottom up to the top (since they are listed in order from newest to oldest, but you want to watch them in the order they were released, as certain jokes continue from one episode to the next).

The episodes run about 4-5 minutes each.

Of course it helps if you follow the Premiership.

PS Don't forget Croatia-Turkey, starting any minute now !

Game time!

Just finished watching the Croatia-Turkey game - what a match!!!
How many matches in this competition have been decided in the last minutes. Amazing!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)