EURO 2008 on ESPN HD (Warning: spoilers allowed!)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Today's match should be very interesting, and probably high-scoring.
Two very aggressive teams: Netherlands and Russia.
Russia had a disappointing start against Spain, but have recovered and totally redeemed themselves in the third match.
Netherlands is probably the best team of the Championship so far. Scored 9 goals - more than anyone else.

Sucks to be a Netherland and Croatian fan....they got beat by the underdogs in the final minutes.....

Can Turkey really pull up the biggest upset in Euro World cup history?

I hope so, it be funny.

Yeah, Croatia was ready to celebrate their victory, when Turkey managed to even the score in the extra minutes.
Russia, on the other hand, dominated the entire game: a well deserved victory!

Yarr, I thought the Netherlands were going all the day, the way they dominated the group of Death*.

I am also surprised how the Italy and France got dominated in that group.
I wouldn't be surprised if Spain beats Italy, even though Italy is my home country. :/
The way they played this year, they don't even deserve to be in the Semi's.
Shame, for a team that dominated last world cup and won it too.

Oh btw, speaking of the turks...
Check this out, their goal keeper is a crazy *****.

[YOUTUBE]1Tcay-GChwU[/YOUTUBE]

Another great match of this weekend is under way: Spain-Italy.

aww, we lost in the penalties....booo.
Only if we had Pirlo/Del Piero/ Gattuso going at the beginning, it would have been great.
Got dammit.

Great victoty for Spain today! One more game decided by penalty kicks. Sorry for Italy...

So, the surviving teams are: Germany, Turkey, Russia and Spain.
I think Turkey has no chance against Germany, so we are likely to see Germany in the Finals after all.
The rematch between Russia and Spain should be interesting though.
Spain think they know how to beat Russia - they've done it already.
Russia, on the other hand, are so encouraged by the recent wins that they can't wait to pay back. ;)

The Turks have only 12 fit players for their semi-final - they have 4 players suspended for the Germany game and Nihat is out with a hamstring tear. Their 3rd choice goalkeeper may have to play in an outfield role - So Germany all the way.

As for Spain - Russia, although Russia lost 4-1 in the group game, it was a bit deceptive - they could easily have scored 2 or 3 more themsleves with more luck...Also their fantastic winger Arshavin was suspended as was (Pavlichenko) - so they have a better team and more experience...

Saying that, their defence isn't great. Should be a good game

The Turks have only 12 fit players for their semi-final - they have 4 players suspended for the Germany game and Nihat is out with a hamstring tear. Their 3rd choice goalkeeper may have to play in an outfield role - So Germany all the way.

I have to say that the entire FIFA approach to substitutes, red cards and suspensions is all 19th Century out moded foolishness.

Look at the NBA:

- If a player gets 6 fouls, then he is out of the game - but the team can substitute someone else. The whole FIFA idea of penalizing a team for one player's moment of madness (or one referee's moment of madness) is nonsense - even more so, when a whole nation is penalized. :eek:

- If an NBA team runs out of players due to injuries and foul-outs, then a player with 6 fouls can return to keep the team at full strength.

I don't see any sensible reason why Turkey should not be allowed to phone home and get a few more players, as long as they are qualified Turkish players. Anyone they add would be far down the list in terms of desirability.

I am not Turkish, so I am not speaking from partisanship...

it would be a bit pointless doing that as its close season for most players who are all on holiday, so none of them would be match fit.
As for being allowed to substitute someone who's been red carded. Personally i think that's a bad idea, because you could get one of your players - say Gattuso to kick Torres to pieces so he had to leave the fielde injured or at least was slowed down a lot. Meanwhile when Gattuso is carded, all you have to do is bring on a fresh player - so by foul play you end up gaining.
in Basketball lots of fouls seem accidental so why penalise a side and anyhow a 5 on 4 would ruin it as a showpiece...
The only time I think a red card is harsh is when it is a situation where it is penalty and red card...So the rivals score and you lose a player. That seems a double punishment (as happened in France - Italy). But that rule was brought in to stop 'professional fould' where a player stopped a scoring chance with a foul and the other team then missed the resulting free kick or penalty...

Yes, basketball is a very different game. A "red card" in basketball wouldn't make any sense - it would immediately decide the outcome of the game, while in football (soccer) the team can still score and win after losing a player.

Also, I agree that the team should be punished for a player's foul play, in order to eliminate the temptation to sucrifice a player for the team's benefit.

Well, at the very least, it would make sense to allow a substitution for someone who received two yellow cards. That would prevent the sort of "intentional sacrifice" you describe - which would get a straight red.

But just wishful thinking - as FIFA have their heads up their ... note that they had a trial of the electronic goal line detection system specifically for the purpose of voting it down (so they can say "we looked at it" even though they actually did not).

It was a great game today! Turkey put up a real fight!
Too bad we couldn't see two of the goals due to power problems...

Plus Rustu, again, this guy made the mistake of coming out of his box!
This is 2 times between last game and this game he made the mistake and he paid the price for it.
LOL
Love him or hate him, he still very entertaining to watch.
I believe this was his last appearance as a goal keeper for Turkey...he is getting old.

The final match is under way. Go Spain!!!

What a great goal by Fernando Torres!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)