Euronews on Dish Network

LhasaApso

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
I do not currently have a subscription to any of the various international packages from Dish Network, however, late Thursday night, I started watching Euronews (in English) on Channel 900.

It's also on Channel 901

Is this a temporary situation?

From what I have seen, this looks like what could be an interesting alternative to Fox News, CNN, Headline News, and MSNBC.

Thanks for reading.

While I like Euronews for what it is, a quick update on headlines, it is not at all like CNN et al, for Euronews is pretty much a 30 minute loop that plays over and over with slight updated added. Euronews has none of the in-depth or at length reports on CNN et al, and no interviews.

Now, BBC World (24/7 channel) would be a great alternative, but it is not currently offered by Dish.

I think the reason Euronews appears in two places (900 and 901) is that one is for the foreign language version that people who subscribe to international packages get. I subscribe to the Italian package, and for me, one channel(I forget which) has English audio and one has Italian audio. I used to get the German package, and then got the channel in German. The video is the same - they just have it dubbed into various languages. So when they interview an Italian, for example, the English channel will have a voiceover translating the speaker's words into English, but the Italian channel just carries the speaker. I don't know how many languages that channel is offered in, but it must be a lot of work to keep up to audio up to date on all of them. But I assume this channel is distributed to cable and satellite systems in Europe so they have enough subscribers to make it worth their while.

As others have said, it is basically a headline news channel with brief reports that repeat frequently. But it does have more coverage of international news, particularly European (hence the name), than you get on American channels, and I watch it every now and then for a different perspective.

Now, BBC World (24/7 channel) would be a great alternative, but it is not currently offered by Dish.
Yes. BBC World News would be a most welcome addition to any provider's lineup.

In another thread, a poster asks about programming from England. I couldn't think of a more desirable channel from the UK than BBC World News. (NHK World would be pretty friggin nice, too. But, too much overlap with the big moneymaker TVJapan, so they would no doubt never have it.)

BBC World News has been available in the U.S. for at least a couple of years. It's on virtually every cable/satellite system in Canada. I can't figure out why Directv & Dish Network have not offered this channel! Any ideas why not?

EuroNews Link: euronews | home

EruoNews is based on a single video feed with 7 different voice-overs (SAP)...

English
Français
Deutsch
Italiano
Español
Portugués
???????

In another thread, a poster asks about programming from England. I couldn't think of a more desirable channel from the UK than BBC World News. (NHK World would be pretty friggin nice, too. But, too much overlap with the big moneymaker TVJapan, so they would no doubt never have it.)

Sad to say, in the US, BBC content is licensed through Discovery Networks.

PBS is able to broadcast special version of BBC World that is reported Monday through Friday based out of Washington D.C., featuring, Matt Fry as the 'anchorman' for the 30 minute program.

I don't think we'll ever receive any real original (unedited/commercial free content other than PBS and the likes of HBO, SHO, HDNET, etc.) BBC programming since Discovery Networks has created a substantial revenue and profit sharing structure with the BBC.

How come TVJapan is charging $25 for NHK only, no program from better tv stations??

How come TVJapan is charging $25 for NHK only, no program from better tv stations??
Well...There are no better stations in Japan than NHK. Of course, there is certainly a lot more and varied programming from other stations/networks. And, it would be nice to get some of that as well. There are occasional non-NHK programs on TVJapan, but not many.

Personally, it ticks me off that they charge $25/mo for what is mostly available for free, without commercial interruption in Japan. If the commercial Japanese networks were smart, they'd get together, and offer the best of their programming on a jointly owned channel to be made available on cable and satellite.

Well...There are no better stations in Japan than NHK. Of course, there is certainly a lot more and varied programming from other stations/networks. And, it would be nice to get some of that as well. There are occasional non-NHK programs on TVJapan, but not many.

Personally, it ticks me off that they charge $25/mo for what is mostly available for free, without commercial interruption in Japan. If the commercial Japanese networks were smart, they'd get together, and offer the best of their programming on a jointly owned channel to be made available on cable and satellite.

Not really, NHK ratings cannot beat Fujisankei, TBS. There are other stations following the two. The other station won't even launch a US pay station to promote their programming and offer better selections. What they care is the video rental business affected by pay channel (if they do launch a pay channel on tv).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)