European SAT in North America??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dabad75

Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
montreal
I saw the interview with klaus schumacher on youtube and how he's able to get analog signal from Astra 19E in Brazil with his 8m Dish. My question is: can we get signals from other European sats with similar dishes in North America? I mean here Nile Sat which is digital?

I'm in Montreal, and when I use the Dishpointer website I get + Elevation??

Name: 7.0W Nilesat 101, 102
Distance: 40857km
Motor Latitude: 45.5°
Declination Angle: 6.9°
Elevation: 7.5°
Azimuth (true): 107.1°
Azimuth (magn.): 122.1°
LNB Skew [?]: -42.1°
Dish Skew [?]: 90.0°

is it different in Brazil? they have better LOS to European Birds??

Before checking elevation, etc the main thing you need to look at is the area of coverage (Footprint). Nilesat is showing that ALL their spotbeams targeted towards "Middle East."
Astra sats are high powered. If you look at there footprint on Lyngsat they show coverage off the coast of Africa ( to Canarias). Brazil is closer to that side on the Atlantic. The guaranteed reception for footprint coverage (Astra-"Wide", "1-KR") stops on the map at 40's. However in Brazil if they have the elevation coverage, using 8M dish (hugh), there is residual sigs lower than 40's that may leak over that coulsd be possible.

For the most part the footprint maps are a good guide, but reception of signals far outside of the spec'd footprints is possible. Often, those beams have substantial side lobes which are never disclosed on the official footprint maps.

Many years ago I visited a gentleman near San Diego who demonstrated analog C-band reception on his 6M dish of spot beams intended for South Pacific. I don't remember the satellite name anymore, but the dish was sitting near the horizon. I was blown away!

A satellite DX'ing Forum would be fun to add to SatelliteGuys!

Line of sight is pretty much the same for C and KU.

But when it comes to reflected RF, I would imagine that C-band would experience tropospheric ducting more frequently than KU-band, but that may just be my uneducated guess due to ignorance..... ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)