Status
Please reply by conversation.

eurosport

In Dave Grohl We Trust!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 31, 2008
North Florida
Today at around noon, I had one of the DMX music channels on W5 playing, and the sound would stop for half a second, and start again. I moved the 7.5 a hair east and west, but it was peaked before I did that. I though DMX was having trouble, so I moved to G14, and Starz West was doing it too. Video and audio drop out, then back. Now I figured my 920 was crapping out on me. Stayed on G14...connect DSR 4200 for another service I listen to on that bird and it's doing it too!:mad: OK...next I try something music-related on G17 DVB with the CS8000. Same thing but I notice it's exactly every 10 seconds! WTF? I think "Oh well, this FTA thing was fun while it lasted" I give up and listen to Sirius on Dish...no problems. About an hour later, I check FTA and DCII C-band and everything's back to normal. FTA Ku was not affected. Airplanes maybe? I'm usually not home at noon on Sunday but due to the flood we can't get to our church. Maybe it's always been this way and I'm not here to notice?:rolleyes:

The rotational rate of the E3 AWACS rotodome is 6 rpm (once every 10 seconds). I wouldn't be surprise if one of those aircraft happened to be flying in your area for a brief time. Just the price of freedom. Good luck.

I don't know what LNB your using but if you get and old one that is 950-1450 with an isolator there suppose to trap out the out of band stuff from radar. The new LNB's all go from 950-1750 which give problems with this.

The rotational rate of the E3 AWACS rotodome is 6 rpm (once every 10 seconds). I wouldn't be surprise if one of those aircraft happened to be flying in your area for a brief time. Just the price of freedom. Good luck.

Good info to know. We get those things up here quite often, although usually a couple hundred miles away, but sometimes quite close.
And if the original poster happens to be near one of the military ATCAA areas, there's a reasonable chance that the AWACS might orbit for several hours while participating in training exercises. We have several MOAs and ATCAAs in the general area up here, and I listen to the planes practicing on my scanners, and occasionally they have AWACs participating in the exercises. They usually first check in with the FAA, and set up an orbit, and then they basically take over control of that airspace for a couple hours. Looking at Special Use Airspace & Air Traffic Control Assigned Airspace , it looks like there are a several ATCAAs and MOAs in northern Florida, particularly on the panhandle.
Anyway, I've occasionally run into strange sat symptoms that I suspected might be due to military radar, such as signal hot spots nowhere near the Clarke belt, however I never knew the 6 rpm parameter you mentioned that might confirm it. I've often wondered whether the radar in the regular military aircraft is powerful enough to damage TVRO equipment, as they often fly over my house very low, often as low as 100-500'.
Thanks for the info.

its definitely probably TI from radar or some microwave source. It seems in my experience that DCII signals are more suseptable and less resistant than their DVB cousins.

I know on other DCII channels and every once in a while DVB FTA C-band will go out just like that. Its every ten seconds or so. My KU is never affected except when my neighbor leaves his radar detector turned on in his car when he pulls in. Radar detector's oscillators will knock out your KU sometimes too.

I have heard it was airplane radar that will take out our c-band and also Microwave telephone link towers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts