Everyone should downgrade to $10 HD today.

I dropped DHPP, sent back 1 receiver and downgraded to HD Essentials .. saved myself $22 per month ... and signed up for netflix .... win .. win .. win .. for me.

The only reason i had to hang on to the voom/full HD package was for Monsters channel for my wife (she has not watched it for the past few weeks because of the repeats) and for HDnet movies ... but now i got netflix and a HD DVD player .. i wont miss them one jot.

Most of the new HD channels that they do get around to adding will probably be included in my top 250 pack ... if they are not - I'll add $10 back to my bill as and when they make it worthwhile for me.

For me at least - this was a fantastic move.

Thanks Dish.

Just to get the message across to Dish that their VOOM garbage is not enough and we want NEW HD. We do not want to pay $20 for LESS channels than you can get with DirecTV for $10.

I suggest when you downgrade you tell the representative that the lack of new HD channels is the reason.
I don't understand the hate for VOOM that so many people have. They're okay to me... I like watching Equator, and a couple of the other channels, and I still want to be able to see Universal HD, so I'll be sticking with the $20 a month, thank you very much.

I don't understand the hate for VOOM that so many people have.

No Hate here - i just don't watch it enough to justify the extra $10 per month.

Each to their own ... I'm just glad that Dish is finally giving people a choice .. more choice is hardly ever a bad thing.

:)

Just signed up to DishHD about a week back. Therefore I've got 6 months of free HD. So right now, I will enjoy all the HD I can get. In 6 months, I will reevaluate. Hopefully by then Dish can get a bird or two up.

Sailing in the same boat

Just signed up to DishHD about a week back. Therefore I've got 6 months of free HD. So right now, I will enjoy all the HD I can get. In 6 months, I will reevaluate. Hopefully by then Dish can get a bird or two up.

Sailing in the same boat and have the same opinion as you.

Voom is better than some of the other HD channels, especially the ones that aren't real HD.

Now where's my no-sports package for half the price? (If the Voom-haters can bitch about it on a daily basis, so can I.)

I liked the VOOM channels and I miss the HD DVR. It wasn't a lack of HD, but the quality of HD (aka DishHD-Lite) that led to me going OTA only. Probably around 70% of our viewing is network programming (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) so we make do with an antenna and Sony HD DVR.

Personally, if E* wanted to be an HD Leader they would simply provide the HD channels to their subscribers free-of-charge, sort of...just roll them into AT100, AT200 and AT250 and raise the rates a couple bucks; Every subscriber have access to the HD channels (just obtain a HDTV and elligible receiver) and the HD channel programmers get additional ad dolllars by having more subscribers.

Just to get the message across to Dish that their VOOM garbage is not enough and we want NEW HD. We do not want to pay $20 for LESS channels than you can get with DirecTV for $10.

I suggest when you downgrade you tell the representative that the lack of new HD channels is the reason.

No thanks, I enjoy Rave, Equator, NBA, and HDNet Movies.

I am keeping every HD channel I have; you can downgrade if you want, but I am happy. If you think downgrading is going to send them a message, I think you are mistaken.

I agree, if you don't watch the channels then downgrade but don't do it out of some silly notion that your actions are sending a message to Dish.

NightRyder

I dropped

I also dropped to the $10 essential. I am on the AT 250 so I still get 24 channels plus my locals. I would like to see some new HD though.

I downgraded to the 10.00 pack too. I would downgrade even further to just locals ,but my son had DISH in his room and would kill me if I did. He loves his kiddie shows. But I also added DIrectv hd dvr plus pack yesterday and I get to have the best of both. I love all the HD channels they have and I get ALL of my networks in HD -even Cw, My network tv. THis is a big improvement over DISH with just 4 networks. The dvr is a little clunky compared to my 722 and it has had to be reset ever time I turn it on. Without the reset it won't turn on. I don't know if this is a permanent thing or not, but it's not like the experience I had with the DISH dvr 921 with all the bugs. DIrectv is having all the problems that DISH First had when they made their own dvrs too. OVerall the picture quality if very sharp but I don't get the WOW factor I thought I would get . STill IF DISH could match these offerings I wouldn't of had to add Directv . I still love DISH dvrs better.

Oh back to more HD channels. Tonight is STargate ATlantis in HIGH DEF on Sci-fi! SOON Battlestar Galactica !

I'd rather have Voom than any "HD" channel that is on D* and not on E*.

I watch some Voom most days - I just recorded "Festival Express" in HD this morning, for example.

In the 20+ years that USA has been running, I've never watched any program on it other than Monk.

I haven't watched SciFi since Farscape ended, even though I like SF.

I've never watched one second of FX.

I do watch HD-Net and HDNet Movies channels regularly, and those are not Voom, but are also not in the HD-Essentials package.

However, I'm happy that everyone who doesn't watch Voom or HD-Net is free to downgrade to HD-Essentials.

I looked at what was in the HD Ultimate, and there wasn't much we watch on a regular basis there. HDNet Movies once in a while, but that's it.

The few times I watch a movie on HDNet Movies or an older repeat on Universal HD did not justify the extra $10.

kstuart said:
I do watch HD-Net and HDNet Movies channels regularly, and those are not Voom, but are also not in the HD-Essentials package.
HDNet is in Essentials, but not HDNet Movies.

I downgraded today too, I already get NHL Network HD with my Center Ice subscription and I don't care about Voom and HDNet Movies. I still get HDNet for NHL games even tho HDNet looks like poop.

I downgraded this morning because I can count on one hand the number of times I've watched a Voom channel. However, I disagree with the reasoning of the OP and others with similar lines of thought. IMHO, it is a shame when any carrier (E*, D* or cable) drops channels due to lack of viewership - unless there are ZERO viewers, that channel is important to someone.

As disappointed as I am with Dish falling behind in the HD race (and I REALLY want SciFi HD!!), I appreciate the fact that Dish realized there was a large contingent of viewers that didn't want the Voom channels and now allows us to unbundle them. In fact, from what I have seen, Dish has perhaps the widest variety of packages, allowing subscribers more flexibility in paying for what they watch (ala carte would be better, though!!).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)