Ex-Con Installing DirecTV In Memphis

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lee78221

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
MEMPHIS -- An ex-con who served two years in prison for theft is installing satellite TV service in Mid-South homes.

28-year-old Virgil Vanarsdale of Memphis works for Megatech, Inc., one of DirecTV's Mid-South subcontractors. Court records show Vanarsdale pleaded guilty to felony theft of property in 1997. The records don't indicate what he stole, but the value was more than $500. Records also show Vanarsdale has not been arrested for any other crimes since serving his sentence.

"I personally believe that if somebody has an issue with the law, and they serve their time, and they come out attempting to reform -- that as long as they're staying on the up-and-up that we should give them that chance," says Tim Anderson, Vanarsdale's boss at Megatech, Inc.

Anderson originally planned to allow Vanarsdale to be interviewed by 3 On Your Side, but Megatech's corporate officials declined our request.

Anderson says he knew Vanarsdale was an ex-con when he hired him because he worked with Vanarsdale at another DirecTV subcontractor, Direct Tech in Atoka, Tennessee. Don Martin, Direct Tech's manager, says Vanarsdale left his company last March when the company switched from contractor status to employee status, and Vanarsdale failed to reapply.

Anderson says Vanarsdale's employment should not be an issue, especially since he hasn't been charged with a crime since his release from prison. "In addition to that, he does not go into customers' homes alone," says Anderson. "I have another technician that goes with him on every single job. We've taken precautions."

Anderson says Megatech will implement mandatory criminal background checks by March 27 as well as drug tests for all employees.

Jerry Stiles, a DirecTV customer, says ex-cons have got to work somewhere, or they'll end up in trouble again. "It's a good thing if they get a job," he says, "and it wouldn't bother me if someone came in my house who was a convicted felon. I think they have paid their dues."

http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?S=4668441

lee78221 said:
MEMPHIS -- An ex-con who served two years in prison for theft is installing satellite TV service in Mid-South homes.

28-year-old Virgil Vanarsdale of Memphis works for Megatech, Inc., one of DirecTV's Mid-South subcontractors. Court records show Vanarsdale pleaded guilty to felony theft of property in 1997. The records don't indicate what he stole, but the value was more than $500. Records also show Vanarsdale has not been arrested for any other crimes since serving his sentence.

"I personally believe that if somebody has an issue with the law, and they serve their time, and they come out attempting to reform -- that as long as they're staying on the up-and-up that we should give them that chance," says Tim Anderson, Vanarsdale's boss at Megatech, Inc.

Anderson originally planned to allow Vanarsdale to be interviewed by 3 On Your Side, but Megatech's corporate officials declined our request.

Anderson says he knew Vanarsdale was an ex-con when he hired him because he worked with Vanarsdale at another DirecTV subcontractor, Direct Tech in Atoka, Tennessee. Don Martin, Direct Tech's manager, says Vanarsdale left his company last March when the company switched from contractor status to employee status, and Vanarsdale failed to reapply.

Anderson says Vanarsdale's employment should not be an issue, especially since he hasn't been charged with a crime since his release from prison. "In addition to that, he does not go into customers' homes alone," says Anderson. "I have another technician that goes with him on every single job. We've taken precautions."

Anderson says Megatech will implement mandatory criminal background checks by March 27 as well as drug tests for all employees.

Jerry Stiles, a DirecTV customer, says ex-cons have got to work somewhere, or they'll end up in trouble again. "It's a good thing if they get a job," he says, "and it wouldn't bother me if someone came in my house who was a convicted felon. I think they have paid their dues."

http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?S=4668441

I think this guy looks at the world thru rose colored glasses..I fhe wants t hire ex cons, that's fine. But perhaps the ex con should do the outside stuff. Just to be on the safe side..

Well spending some of my life in Memphis I know "3 on your Side" is a part of the news where residents can call or write when they think they have been wronged and can't get satisfaction. So, what I want to know is what led to someone needing to report the guy and/or the company?

This is probably a customer taking it too far. I've been accused of stealing twice in Memphis. Both times, the people wanted $$$ in leiu of what was missing, and both times I told them to press charges because they weren't getting a dime out of me. They ought to do an expose on how the customers treat US one time.

The very first time I ever was accused of something like that was some cheapskate in California (pollock pines, IIRC). It was a P* switchover, he had 2 P* remotes and was irate that I would not give him a second D* remote. In his effort to get a free one out of the company, he said I took his remote. WTF? Then he got pissed at me when I called BS.

I still get customers who want to leave ME at their house (sometimes with their kids). No freaking way. Absolutely not.

chadzx11 said:
This is probably a customer taking it too far. I've been accused of stealing twice in Memphis. Both times, the people wanted $$$ in leiu of what was missing, and both times I told them to press charges because they weren't getting a dime out of me. They ought to do an expose on how the customers treat US one time.

The very first time I ever was accused of something like that was some cheapskate in California (pollock pines, IIRC). It was a P* switchover, he had 2 P* remotes and was irate that I would not give him a second D* remote. In his effort to get a free one out of the company, he said I took his remote. WTF? Then he got pissed at me when I called BS.

I still get customers who want to leave ME at their house (sometimes with their kids). No freaking way. Absolutely not.

Chad, this doesn't have anything to do with an installer being accused of something. Back to the original thought....the guy has a job, so what. I personally have been in and out of state prison for.......(just kidding). I mean who cares. Dumb story, dumb post (sorry) I am getting bored. I wish there was some big news we could all fight about.

FlyingJ said:
Chad, this doesn't have anything to do with an installer being accused of something. Back to the original thought....the guy has a job, so what. I personally have been in and out of state prison for.......(just kidding). I mean who cares. Dumb story, dumb post (sorry) I am getting bored. I wish there was some big news we could all fight about.

How about the over-compression of the DirecTV signals? Thats criminal in itself!

I don't have a problem with it, as it says he is an Ex Con, (Keyword there is EX) it appears he paid his dues for his stupidity earlier in life and has moved on, hes not a rapist etc...

Sometimes the reform system actually does work.

I wrote Andy Wise, the author of the story and asked if he has anything in his past he'd rather not be brought up in the public eye. What a joke. This guy has served his time, and is now attempting to get back on with his life.

He plead guilty in 1997, served two years. Sooo, hes been out for at least 6 years. Maybe we should watch him when he goes grocery shopping too, and only let him buy plastic forks and knives.

Anyone see the movie Heat? Remember the driver who was trying to work legit, but his scumbag boss treated him like an animal. I guess some of you feel thats how we should treat anyone that serves time. A shame.

For anyone in the Memphis area, keep in mind that this is Andy Wise we are talking about.....

Seriously, I can't stand WREG. They hype everything up to get ratings. I think they have some of the worst news coverage in the city. (Not to mention the fact that the HD looks like crap cause of the multicasting...)

Don't take this report too seriously, It's really nothing.

People make mistakes and do stupid things all the time. He was 19 at the time and I don't of many 19 years that have their head completely on the right way.
He made a mistake and paid his debt to society. If he has changed his ways then why should I care what he did 9 years ago?

I worked with a guy a few years ago when I was at Xerox who also made a mistake when he was 18 or 19 and spent 2 years in jail. When I knew him (this was like 10 years after being released), he was quite respectable and you would never have suspected he had a past. This guy came out of the system and got a job, went to school and earned himself in computer science and then went to work for Xerox and worked his way up to being a manager.

ravma479 said:
Don't take this report too seriously, It's really nothing.

I agree, but my point was going to be about the ex-con installer, what about the new good rep he has tried to build, doesn't this border character assassination or slander by "3 on Your Side or the customer if he has done nothing wrong?

I mean if he did do something, go to the police, but if not it seems someone recognised him and has an axe to grind and is just trying to run him out of a job.

I live in Memphis also. If you knew Andy Wise and how he reports, you would realize how big of a tool he is. I don't know how someone got this dude's name and past, but this is just the kind of story he would shoot. I'd have no problem with this dude doing my install if I decided to stay with D*.

"Get wise, (points thumb at himself) Andy Wise!"

I was speaking to my wife about this last evening and we both agreed that we would rather have a Ex-Con do the install then someone like a Bible Thumper. I could just see it now, "OH! I see you subscribe to Playboy! Let's talk about how this filth is going to be your ticket to Hell!"

FlyingJ said:
Chad, this doesn't have anything to do with an installer being accused of something.

I think it might, why else would somebody report that? What else could be the motivation? What good can come of it? I think somebody is out to screw the guy.

charper1 said:
I mean if he did do something, go to the police,

That's exactly what I said to those people who accused me.

The people whom I work for now had me worried the second time. They made an installer buy a customer a new tv to replace one that was f'd up when he installed the E*. Whenever I come across a bad TV, I make sure the customer knows that I know it was F'd up before I got there, and if I get a bad vibe from the customer, I'll have it noted in their E* account.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)