This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Ex-NBC Sports Employee: Dick Ebersol Is The Biggest Failure Of Them All

TMC1982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Ex-NBC Sports Employee: Dick Ebersol Is The Biggest Failure Of Them All - Dick Ebersol - Deadspin

Sounds like a bitter ex-employee.

But the basic points are factual.,

NBC has grossly overpaid for the Olympics. Of course. You take sports and non-sport judged competitions, that people would not watch is held across the street, wrap it in the flag and pseudo-religious hokum, and expect people to watch. Well, it just isn't working. NBC will lose money. Which is the opposite of the goal.

NBC relies on "trashsport". Yes. XFL, AFL, other paid ventures clog NBC most weekends.

Because NBC spent the money it should have to compete for legitimate sports so GE execs can go to the Olympics.

I never have understood NBC's policy when it came to sports. They get one for a short while and then dump it.

It's no policy Ramy...it's Ebersol. He has been THE WORST executive I have EVER seen. ALL decisions are finalized BY HIM....and yet he continues to f**k up money losing decisions after decisions.

Isn't this NBC's hatchetman who's been bashing Conan O'Brian and instead sticking up for that weasel, Jay Leno?

Yeah...but in the weasel defense...from what I have read, they basically told Leno that IF Conan did not pull the numbers...he could have it back.

Either way, this Ebersol is absolutely terrible!

I am not going to defend anything Ebersol did in the business world, but I cannot imagine what it's like to live with the fact that you survived a plane crash in which your 14 year old son was killed. I have nieces and nephews, and I just do not know how you recover from something like that.

Sandra

Do you think that is effecting his job? seriously? IF it is....he should step down and left someone else handle the reins...

Yeah...but in the weasel defense...from what I have read, they basically told Leno that IF Conan did not pull the numbers...he could have it back.

Either way, this Ebersol is absolutely terrible!

I don't know though, how well can Leno ever do if he has a lead in that has first pick of guests w/ dismal ratings.

Jay inherited a Tonight Show that did poorly until the Hugh Grant scandal which then kicked off more than a decade of good ratings. Conan has a divided spotlight, and former Tonight Show viewers get their fix by just watching the former host 1.5 hours earlier and don't need to watch Conan.

In the end, regardless of which camp you're rooting on, NBC is just fail.

they must be making $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ or he would have been gone long ago

Remember it's GE....NBC is not THE money maker for them. MOST of the regular programming has been a big success, not to mention syndication of other shows.

BUT, the sport division has been an utter failure.

Remember it's GE....NBC is not THE money maker for them. MOST of the regular programming has been a big success, not to mention syndication of other shows.

BUT, the sport division has been an utter failure.

Did the sports division lose money? I don't remember reading either way.

Sandra

Sandra

NBC Sports: Peacock's Next Nightmare --FanHouse

well fox spent millions to build a network..while NBC got priced out of the market

What a difference a decade makes.

I remember how much a success Ebersol was in NBC's sports division in the 1990s.

Sandra
I don't think they are losing money overall. Remember the Beijing Olympics were a huge success, as has been the NFL. I think NBC does well with their golf coverage too. They've certainly had some good US Opens recently. Trying to figure out how much to pay for Olympics is like playing roulette. You have to guess about events that are years in the future. Sometimes you're right, sometimes you're wrong. NBC's got much bigger problems than their sports division. The Leno-Conan fiasco is really the result of the fact that their primetime programing completely sucks. All they've got are 10 different versions of Law and Order.