Exchange Help!

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
Just started a new consulting job (3 weeks) and I was asked to upgrade to Exchange 2003 from a Mixed Exchange environment. We have 2 Exchange 2000 servers and 2 Exchange 5.5 servers. I added an Exchange 2003 server and everything seems to be good but I can not send internet mail from inside.

I can send and receive internally. I can receive mail from outside but can not send mail from the inside to outside. I can also login to webmail. One of the Exchange 5.5 servers is the main gateway so all mail gets routed to that server. A few more things to add, the exchange server is on a different (domain A) than the Exchange 2003 (domain B).

Also, when I go the Exchange Administrator in 5.5, I can not see the new server. When I go to System Manager in the Exchange 2003 server, the 2 5.5 servers are greyed out and connectors are also greyed out. This has to be a communication problem but can't seem to find the problem.

What do I need to add or configure to make this work?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure why you posted this here, and I've never seen anyone run 5.5 and 2000 at the same time, but if configure a SMTP connector on the 2003 server for your outgoing mail it should resolve your problem. If all mail has to route through the 5.5 server then configure the new connector to use the 5.5 server as a smart host, be sure to enable relaying on the 5.5 server.

Not sure why you posted this here, and I've never seen anyone run 5.5 and 2000 at the same time, but if configure a SMTP connector on the 2003 server for your outgoing mail it should resolve your problem. If all mail has to route through the 5.5 server then configure the new connector to use the 5.5 server as a smart host, be sure to enable relaying on the 5.5 server.

I already tried all of your suggestions over the weekend but mail still can't go to the outside. Like I said I just started this job and it's a mess, it's my job to clean it up. I posted it here because I know that we have Sys. Admins in this forum that might be able to contribute.

Very well, if this doesn't work, then you need to verify that logging is enabled on the SMTP service of the 2003 server, then verify that Message tracking is enabled for that Exchange Server, under it's properties in ESM. Send a message, check the queue and then examine the smtp logs for errors and use the Message tracking tools in ESM to figure out where the disconnect is.

Also set your bounce settings much lower than the default Exchange settings in the SMTP settings and try to examine the NDRs.

Thanks, I'll try that. I enabled logging to Maximum and have examined the NDRs and they just say:

"The e-mail system was unable to deliver the message, but did not report a specific reason. Check the address and try again. If it still fails, contact your system administrator."

Which is basically nothing. Today is my last day of troubleshooting, tomorrow I'm making the Exchange 2003 the main gateway and will eliminate the 5.5 server. The problem is that they have a server for each service, webmail, blackberry and another two exchange servers so I'll need to make changes in a lot of different places without impacting mail flow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts